Sponsored

Recall and Immediate Stop Sale on 8,026 GT350 and GT350R Models: Engine Oil Cooler

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Joe's issue was not related to this recall. Joe's car had a snap ring break causing oil to spray onto the exhaust. His failure was not with a bad crimp on the oil cooler line.

Keep in mind we saw this but the majority of GT350 owners will not even be aware of this until notified in December. I stop driving my car after salt is applied to the roads. I think I'm probably 6 weeks until then. I always have an eye on my oil temp/pressure but my bet it only some have experienced this.

I'll get mine fixed as soon as the part is available but it won't stop me from driving it for the next 6 weeks.

EDIT: My car is on the list.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I'm on the list ... glad I just installed that fire extinguisher. :ninja:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Joe's issue was not related to this recall. Joe's car had a snap ring break causing oil to spray onto the exhaust. His failure was not with a bad crimp on the oil cooler line.

Keep in mind we saw this but the majority of GT350 owners will not even be aware of this until notified in December. I stop driving my car after salt is applied to the roads. I think I'm probably 6 weeks until then. I always have an eye on my oil temp/pressure but my bet it only some have experienced this.

I'll get mine fixed as soon as the part is available but it won't stop me from driving it for the next 6 weeks.

EDIT: My car is on the list.
Aware that his issue wasn't due to the same failure, but, it is an example of what could happen if an oil leak were to occur. Obviously not the same type of failure, but I'm sure the relative outcome could be the same if it were to happen while on track or driving spiritedly, especially with Ford themselves stating it could lead to an increased risk of fire.

Really hoping they can come out with a fix sooner than next spring though... Not so bad for me since mine is stored as I mentioned, but I feel for the guys having to make the decision to keep driving their vehicles over the next several months and having to worry about something going wrong.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When I enter my VIN, it says Ford doesnt recognize it.

Anyhow my build date is in september but its by 2 weeks! Close call?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
When I enter my VIN, it says Ford doesnt recognize it.

Anyhow my build date is in september but its by 2 weeks! Close call?
Yours will just be a part of a future recall ;)

After all, they don't want to have to put a stop sale on all new GT350's out there :D

Sponsored

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
"What this VIN search tool does NOT cover:
International vehicles"

Mine doesn't show up either cause we have Canadian cars...

chances are we are affected too

Well, well, just checked mine and looks like i'm not part of the recall. :shrug:

My car was built March 2016, so therefore should be part of it. What gives !!!

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Well, well, just checked mine and looks like i'm not part of the recall. :shrug:

My car was built March 2016, so therefore should be part of it. What gives !!!
Dan...did you try it on the Ford link? I tried on the other one and mine didn't appear either...tried it on the Ford site and sure enough its on there...I suspect maybe Canadian cars are not on the other list as its a US transportation agency...probably doesn't include Canadian VINs....sorry if I ruined your day...

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yours will just be a part of a future recall ;)

After all, they don't want to have to put a stop sale on all new GT350's out there :D
What do you mean? So all cars are affected?:(

When I go to the first my Ford link where I registered my car it says no recalls there though.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
What do you mean? So all cars are affected?:(

When I go to the first my Ford link where I registered my car it says no recalls there though.

Here's the deal. Ford says they have no fix for this issue yet. So either that means they DO have a fix that was applied to cars built in September or your car will be part of a future bulletin. What bothers me is if they did fix this on Sept built cars, that means they have a fix and should not be telling customers to wait until Mid December to get more data.

I do suspect there is really no fix yet but Ford did not want to stop all sales so that is why they are saying pre September cars are the ones impacted. I hope I'm wrong.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
A"don't sell directive" a "don't test drive directive" possible financial penalties to dealers who do so?
Not sure I'm comfortable driving mine after seeing this...do I get a loaner until this is resolved?
I'm thinking not!

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Here's the deal. Ford says they have no fix for this issue yet. So either that means they DO have a fix that was applied to cars built in September or your car will be part of a future bulletin. What bothers me is if they did fix this on Sept built cars, that means they have a fix and should not be telling customers to wait until Mid December to get more data.

I do suspect there is really no fix yet but Ford did not want to stop all sales so that is why they are saying pre September cars are the ones impacted. I hope I'm wrong.
I see, its a possible explanation.

Not sure if you guys are familiar with this but the legendary mezger GT3 (997 GT3) has suffered from a similar issue. Although that failure wasnt for the oil, it was for the coolant, but basically the coolant pipes would catastrophically fail, decoupling. Porsche's fix was using a stronger adhesive, which improved things but never fixed it. Owners ended up "welding" the points which was a 2-3k job. I hope this doesnt become the "thing" about this car. Because with these issues, some are design problems and fixing them would require making major changes in the assembly line, simply not feasible.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It seems odd they would stop sales and test drives but allow use to drive around till next year with the issue

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Would you really want your GT350 sitting at the dealer for several months? Not me. I'll keep it in my garage and drive it. No, they won't give a rental car until they have a fix and you take your car in to be fixed.

Driver 8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i Coupe
Sorry to hear about all those affected. I hope for a speedy fix. But I can't help feeling there is a silver lining here...and that is that Ford identified the problem which will end a lot of worry and speculation about losing oil. I say this in contrast to the yet-to-be-recognized bearing issues on E9x M3s. Those owners are left with a roll of the dice or a $2,000 prophylactic fix on their own if out of warranty now. I'd rather wait a few months for a definite fix than wonder daily if my engine is going to blow.

Anyway, best of luck to those affected!

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It seems odd they would stop sales and test drives but allow use to drive around till next year with the issue
I think it comes down to what another member said. If they tell you you can't drive it, then people would say Ford should be paying their car payments. If Ford does not say this, that means it's probably cheaper to replace a handful of engines rather than pay everyone's car payments. Just a guess on my part. It's all about $$ though.
Sponsored