Rear window support brackets on convertible

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Long story. Let me preface this by saying my 2005 V6 Convertible died suddenly (engine seized unexpectedly) and I have a somewhat limited budget, so I decided to shop for a 1-2 year old Mustang.

A bought a 'Ford Certified' 2015 V6 Convertible last month, during the test drive we put down the top and when we got back to the dealership I noticed a white plastic part was sticking out from the folded down top. We put the top halfway up and we could see that the plastic piece (part of the headliner) should have had 2 elastic bands to pull it into place; both bands were gone. The salesperson said they would have it repaired before I took it home (duh!). The dealership called nest day to say they needed to order a 'part' and it would take a few days to come in, but, supposedly when it did it would be a quick fix because it 'just snaps into place'. I picked the car up 6 days later and drove it home; it was cold and I didn't put the top down at the dealership. When I got home, I showed my son my 'new' car and dropped the top and I didn't see the plastic piece out of place. When I put the top back up, I noticed the rear glass did not fully engage and there was a 3/4" gap between rear and front window. I called the dealership and informed them and made an appointment at another Ford dealership (owned by the same group) much closer to my house (dealer from whom I purchased the car is 1hr 15min away but they had a triple yellow vert on their lot). Not that it's relevant to this issue but the back up camera was non-functional. This service department took care of everything under warranty, life is good, right?

The weather had cooled down here in SE Pennsylvania, so I didn't drop the top for a few days. After I put it back up, and was driving with windows down, I heard a flapping from the back. When I checked it out, it was the original issue, the white piece attached to the headliner flapping in the wind. When I looked at it, there were no elastic bands attached. Brought it back to the dealer close to me and they sent out to a convertible guy (who I've actually heard has a great reputation) for repair. In short, it cannot be repaired, the headliner needs to be replaced. I raised hell with the dealership from which I bought the car because it is pretty clear that the part that just 'snaps into place' isn't a headliner. Guys near me order a headliner, and send me home in my car, with broken piece tucked in and I'm not to put down the top but windows open is OK. Driving with windows open causes back window to shake like crazy and I was originally thinking because airflow was getting behind headliner.

I wait until headliner comes in (4 days), I drop car off for service, they call to say part is defective (has 3 holes); guys order another one that comes in last Wednesday (April 20th) and I should be picking up car today. From my conversation with the service department, it seems they are installing headliner themselves, rather than outsourcing to convertible guy.

NOW, I read this thread and wonder if the shaky window was coming from the issue you guys are having. The dealership offers a 30 day, no questions exchange policy; I've been in touch with the dealership general manager and I have 15 days from when I receive the car back (today?) to decide if I want to exchange it. They will get a vehicle from another dealership, if necessary, and I can get a 2016 in the same price point. There is a 2016 Triple Yellow V6 hardtop (manual tranny, which I would prefer) on a lot about 50 miles away. I'm afraid of the issue here, that Ford won't even recognize and, once I'm out of warranty, I'll be replacing the headliner on my dime because of wear.

I'm so on the fence about what to do; wife is in love with triple yellow vert but I just feel like the top is going to be a PITA.

My other thought is to drive it for a couple years then trade up to a GT when I can swing a bigger payment.

Any opinions?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Been speaking with my dealer, they finally got some communication with ford about the bars, got some instructions, most likely the ones listed in here, but they are wanting to know what kind of foam block to put it. That was last Thursday I believe. Have not heard anything since. I have an Open RO. I'm getting closer to being fixed.

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
Went to the dealer today to have the fixit kit installed but to no avail the bars popped out again. Service manager once again to communicate with ford for additional help.

Benjamin

I'm a Man, I'm 40!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Just had my foam kit installed today, have to see if they stay in. Haven't put the top up yet. Also I had some plastic clip in the trunk come loose that has a strap that connects to the top that was replaced.

bcdstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Met GT 6spd Convrt/50yr
Finally, after many attempts by the dealer and Ford engineer to resolve the support bar popping out problem, a complete top assembly has been installed. It has only been a day since picking the car up and a couple of cycles of up and down but all seems to be working fine.

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Another case of "it should work...I'm an engineer". How many times have you used a product and swore that the designers went ahead and began to sell it before anyone had actually tried to use it. Case in point, older Firebird V8s, you could only change the rear spark plugs by unmounting and lowering the engine. "But the plugs were easy to change while the prototype engine was sitting on the bench!"

Thundersteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I know this is an old thread, but I'm so glad I found it!

I bought my car about 18 months ago, and since the first day of ownership I noticed the rear window was a bit crooked. I chalked it up to "quality is job 1," and thought it was normal.

After reading this thread, I checked my car--sure enough, the driver side brace was disconnected. I put the rod back in, tugged on it to be sure it wouldn't come out, and raised/lowered the top several times; so far, so good.

I also went to the local dealer, and checked out their Mustangs. Out of the four convertibles they had on the lot, three had the same problem!

I also found there is a TSB on these: TSB16-0104. There is a kit consisting of two clips (FR3Z-76422B34-A) and a foam block (FR3Z-7640380-A). The site I found this on is https://ford.oemdtc.com/2556/convertible-roof-sagging-at-the-rear-glass-2015-2016-ford-mustang#more-2556

I hope this helps someone!

Last edited:

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
I am also very glad to have found this thread. The heated back glass has not worked in my 2017 GT Convertible. I finally took it in to get it checked this week. The dealer sent me to a local convertible top installer that is authorized to perform warranty repairs. He said that the rear window heated strip was simply unplugged on the passenger side but the two support bars had come out of the window and the plastic retaining clips were broken. He replaced the clips, reinserted the bars and plugged in the electric wire. Appears everything is ok except for installing the foam pad I have just read about in this thread. I will bring this to the attention of the dealer next week.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NRY7pqiZKYctcXqSA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXYiyZPmuSqcAAUGA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YWqBJqJahGSYVxnn9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AdN4Yk2Dx7LR5ydN7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dbD9uwT1U6DQbhKR8

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Don't know if this is a record but the dealership delivered my car to the house yesterday afternoon shortly after 4 pm and today at 2 pm I note that the driver's side support is not connected, having cycled the top exactly twice. Maybe it wasn't attached when they delivered it, as it had a new top put on before delivery due to a defect in the stitching on a seam. Will see if clip is there, perhaps I can re-attach and avoid taking it back in.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Well, I put the top part way down and lifted the window with one hand and put the support bracket in with the other. Cycled the top back up, down, and back up for overnight and it stayed in place. Fingers crossed it just wasn’t pushed fully home when they replaced the top and stays in place for me.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
As an update...I have now had the car just over a month, and cycled the top virtually every day, sometimes multiple times in the same day, and the support bracket has stayed in place.

jeffdeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible White Platinum
Because I am sitting at home due to this virus I am reviewing old threads. This is a follow up report. The bracket was out on the right side last week. I put it back in but it appears the heated strip is also unplugged again. I was wondering if Ford ever corrected this problem on newer convertibles. I have a 2017. This problem goes all the way back to 2015.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
As noted in my August 2018 post, I can report that I never had any further problems with the supports. I figure the updated attachment point fixed the issue on cars so equipped.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
As noted in my August 2018 post, I can report that I never had any further problems with the supports. I figure the updated attachment point fixed the issue on cars so equipped.

Yea, my dealer fixed it right the first time in 2015.
Sponsored