AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Greets all,

I wanted to know if anyone here has removed the rear underbody shield? I was looking to replace my reverse backup light with an LED white and obviously its not open like all the videos show, so I jumped into the service manual and this page that I attached is a bit confusing. I am just trying to get access to the socket, which unless I am wrong all I really need to get open is the area to access the socket, I dont need to undo #3. So #1 is obvious, but #2 it says to discard the push pin retainers, why, if I have the tool to remove them why cant I reuse them? But #4 doesn't apply, they aren't push pins but actual screws and there is 5 not 6 of them. So before I get a surprise, I figured I'd ask here in case someone already did this and I missing something, since all I see is #1, #2 & #4 and just want to make sure nothing is going to fall off or I have to support something as the manual is very vague and only found this page because it was part of the Oil Cooler access section on page 1459.

Screenshot (19h 57m 50s).jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I'm changing my exhaust right now and had to remove it. Took 1 min to do. Very easy, no surprises.
You wouldn't happen to remember if I just removed the backend only if I can pull it down slightly and access the socket to replace the bulb? And was yours 5 screws along the top that was holding this in place, plus those two push pins I see are still there on the shield.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
You wouldn't happen to remember if I just removed the backend only if I can pull it down slightly and access the socket to replace the bulb? And was yours 5 screws along the top that was holding this in place, plus those two push pins I see are still there on the shield.
I don't remember honestly, but you won't have any problems taking it off if you need too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Just got done with the led light for the reverse light, but Man that under body sure collects alot of gravel, I could fill a baby food jar with what I cleaned out. Geez.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Just got done with the led light for the reverse light, but Man that under body sure collects alot of gravel, I could fill a baby food jar with what I cleaned out. Geez.
Did you happen to take a picture showing which fasteners need to be removed to drop it free of the car? Did you have to remove the push pins or just screws? Thanks

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Did you happen to take a picture showing which fasteners need to be removed to drop it free of the car? Did you have to remove the push pins or just screws? Thanks
No I did not take pictures as the Service Manual above and Warpath's picture is enough. Using warpaths picture for me the area I circle is all I had to remove to get to the light, Along the edge is 5 small screws (7MM head), not push pins as the service manual states, the only 2 push pins are the ones in warpaths picture and yes they need to be pulled (I have a push pin puller so I could reuse it) and there is 2 larger screws (10MM head) just below the edge screws. I was able to reach in and swap out the bulb and put it back. As warpath said its really easy. My concern was 2 fold, 1) the manual was wrong about the hardware & 2) if they were wrong about that looking through the vents and seeing the oil cooler and such, would I need to support anything, as my '16 CS didnt have a rear body assembly.
Inked20210710_191926_LI.jpg

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
@Atlas1 I forgot I was taking video since I was alone to make sure the bulb was in the correct orientation, so I took stills of it down, one is a closeup, hope it helps. And you can see all the gravel.

rearbody.jpg

Screenshot (19h 48m 06s).jpg

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Thank you! I only have 700 miles on my Mach 1 and I can’t believe the amount of gravel that is in that tray just from reaching under there and pulling out a handful. Just 2 days ago I was washing my car thinking I need to drop that tray and address that so I’m glad to see how you guys are doing it.
Sponsored