Sponsored

Rear Sway Bar Maintenance

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have been getting a squeaky noise going over bumps especially diagonally (i.e one rear wheel goes over slight bump then next) from passenger rear side.

I cannot reproduce the noise when I push down the lower trunk (when trunk is open) even at full force. I can jump the rear of the car aggressively but no noise. Noise only happens when there is side to side flex.

Which is why I suspect either the rear end links connecting to sway bar or the sway bar to subframe connection is bad.

Question:

- Can these parts be lubed? If so what grease/lube should be used?
- If not, should they be replaced?
- Any specific info I should know such as performing this while rear end is in the air using jack stands or on 4 post lift with suspension on load? Any bolts need replacing (one time use)?

Thanks
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Ford end links are generally not serviceable/greaseable, but they're super easy to replace, and not that expensive. I haven't specifically looked at the GT350 links, but it's one nut up top, one at the bottom. Rockauto lists the same part numbers for all Mustang models (at least for 2016). You don't need to have the suspension loaded or anything specific to replace them. While you're in there, you might want to grease the swaybar to body bushings, or replace them.

JR

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ford end links are generally not serviceable/greaseable, but they're super easy to replace, and not that expensive. I haven't specifically looked at the GT350 links, but it's one nut up top, one at the bottom. Rockauto lists the same part numbers for all Mustang models (at least for 2016). You don't need to have the suspension loaded or anything specific to replace them. While you're in there, you might want to grease the swaybar to body bushings, or replace them.

JR
What kind of grease?

cdh027

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350, 2018 z06
I have been getting a squeaky noise going over bumps especially diagonally (i.e one rear wheel goes over slight bump then next) from passenger rear side.

I cannot reproduce the noise when I push down the lower trunk (when trunk is open) even at full force. I can jump the rear of the car aggressively but no noise. Noise only happens when there is side to side flex.

Which is why I suspect either the rear end links connecting to sway bar or the sway bar to subframe connection is bad.

Question:

- Can these parts be lubed? If so what grease/lube should be used?
- If not, should they be replaced?
- Any specific info I should know such as performing this while rear end is in the air using jack stands or on 4 post lift with suspension on load? Any bolts need replacing (one time use)?

Thanks

How many miles do you have?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Like said above - bushings is what I would grease. Synthetic / lithium whatever. I think anything but petroleum base since they're rubber.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Like said above - bushings is what I would grease. Synthetic / lithium whatever. I think anything but petroleum base since they're rubber.
All I have is the lithium wd-40 lubricant. But thats not a grease. I was watching a video of sway bar being installed and CJ Pony parts was using a thick white grease.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
All I have is the lithium wd-40 lubricant. But thats not a grease. I was watching a video of sway bar being installed and CJ Pony parts was using a thick white grease.
Yeah - that (lithium WD-40) isn't going to work. I've used I think Synthetic Royal Purple grease that I have had from doing other stuff (like wheel bearings on the '65 car). It hasn't done anything bad to the rubber bushings.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think I have some mobil 1 grease that I will use.

Is it better to do this while tires are on the ground and suspension is loaded (4 post lift) or they are off the ground (jack stands). I m assuming i can slide the sway bar bushing off to put some grease on without completely removing it.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I cant figure this out. I lift the car up and down loading/unloading the suspension and I cant reproduce the noise. Heck I can bounce the car pretty wildly pressing on the trunk latch area and I cant reproduce it either.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I think I have some mobil 1 grease that I will use.

Is it better to do this while tires are on the ground and suspension is loaded (4 post lift) or they are off the ground (jack stands). I m assuming i can slide the sway bar bushing off to put some grease on without completely removing it.
It doesn't matter. The bushings being loaded or unloaded are irrelevant. Remove the bolts holding the collar on, pull the bushing off the sway bar, grease it up with some good suspension lube, replace the bushing, put the collar back on, and bolt back in. I don't remember the torque specs.

JR

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It doesn't matter. The bushings being loaded or unloaded are irrelevant. Remove the bolts holding the collar on, pull the bushing off the sway bar, grease it up with some good suspension lube, replace the bushing, put the collar back on, and bolt back in. I don't remember the torque specs.

JR
I attempted this and there is not enough room there to reach the farther bolt (towards the back of the car) due to the exhaust muffler and rear diffuser. At the very least diffuser need to come off and perhaps exhaust need to be lowered/get out of the way. I didnt have time at the time and didnt do it. The bolts there were very tight and could not break them loose with a standard size 1/2" ratcheting wrench. There is no way to fit a breaker bar without removing the other stuff (or use a swivel head but I dont think they can handle the torque).

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I attempted this and there is not enough room there to reach the farther bolt (towards the back of the car) due to the exhaust muffler and rear diffuser. At the very least diffuser need to come off and perhaps exhaust need to be lowered/get out of the way. I didnt have time at the time and didnt do it. The bolts there were very tight and could not break them loose with a standard size 1/2" ratcheting wrench. There is no way to fit a breaker bar without removing the other stuff (or use a swivel head but I dont think they can handle the torque).
Impact wrench with an extension. There are also impact-rated swivels.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I greased the bushing, the clip, the bar inside/outside and unfortunately my squeak noise is still there. Could it be the end links? Its a metallic squeak the one you would hear when you are sitting on an old couch/bed with springs. I felt the end links with my hand moving them and I dont hear any squeak.

Whats interesting is I can open the trunk and bounce the rear of the car by pressing on the trunk latch really hard and there is no noise at all. Car bounces far more that way than it does driving over bumps but yet I cannot reproduce the noise. I get under the car and lift the rear end up/down while under the car (I have a scissor jack on a 4 post lift) and again I cannot hear the noise. Dont know what to do.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Subrframe / differential bushings ? Doubt it's endlinks - I would check if their connection to bar / LCA are tight (they get loose but it will be more of a rattle than squeak).
Sponsored