SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Anxious to hear your review.
So based on the feedback from this thread I switched my order from the PP bars to the GT 350R parts.

I am a little more excited about this upgrade now.

Thanks to all you guys that went first on this!
Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'm honestly shocked that people don't understand that these are part of a system. But I guess if you have $80 to blow and want to add GT350R to your dig...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm honestly shocked that people don't understand that these are part of a system. But I guess if you have $80 toto blow and want to add GT350R to your dig...
Of course they are, but if you aren't clueless about how the pieces all work together, these can be a great tuning option. Your posts like this are a bit unreasonable and scare tactic-y. The vehicle dynamics will not be drastically changed when going from say, GT PP bars, to these. Roll control and response will be improved. Single-wheel bumps will have a slight degradation in ride quality. Doing a single bar will improve the response and reduce the roll on that end of the car, simultaneously changing the handling balance. Roll bars aren't that hard.

I would say, though, to not go R rear bar (or aftermarket) only on an otherwise stock car if you do much competitive driving. This car is going to be overall better to drive and faster with less rear bar and more rear spring than the other way around (it will have better composure on imperfect roads, more inside tire load to improve how much power can be put down). If you are also stiffening the front, thus reducing overall roll, then you can get away with it.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Your posts like this are a bit unreasonable and scare tactic-y.
My posts are 100% from an OEM engineering stand point and OEM race team perspective. Too many people are just throwing stuff together without understanding the dynamics. Will adding GT350 bars cause your car to lose control? No. Will adding these bars, especially the R bar possibly lead inexperienced drivers to attempt stupid things? Yes, we see it all the time.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My posts are 100% from an OEM engineering stand point and OEM race team perspective. Too many people are just throwing stuff together without understanding the dynamics. Will adding GT350 bars cause your car to lose control? No. Will adding these bars, especially the R bar possibly lead inexperienced drivers to attempt stupid things? Yes, we see it all the time.
What you see as throwing stuff together, might actually be conscious decisions by informed people.

Ford has a history of releasing GT350 parts at very low prices initially then raising them significantly a few months later. GT350 steering wheels for example, as well as the IM, etc. These, IMO, will follow suit. Grabbing the items when they're cheap, will never be a bad investment. $50 a bar, are you serious? yes. please.

With that said, mine will be going on immediately, and compared at autocross and mid ohio :)

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
What you see as throwing stuff together, might actually be conscious decisions by informed people.

Ford has a history of releasing GT350 parts at very low prices initially then raising them significantly a few months later. GT350 steering wheels for example, as well as the IM, etc. These, IMO, will follow suit. Grabbing the items when they're cheap, will never be a bad investment. $50 a bar, are you serious? yes. please.

With that said, mine will be going on immediately, and compared at autocross and mid ohio :)
The C manifold had NOTHING to do with demand. It was 100% an error in the Ford part system. But you seem to have a good handle on this stuff so I'll defer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I also have a fair bit of OEM engineering and racing (though not OEM) experience myself ;)

You're not wrong that people can get themselves into trouble making the wrong selections. That can and will continue to happen. That can just as easily happen if someone throws a BMR or Steeda or Eibach or Whiteline sway bar on and nothing else, too. Systematically, throwing the R bars on will not turn a GT into an oversteering menace. Will it be more neutral? A little bit. Many folks come to this section of the forum for advice because they're not nearly as knowledgeable (or have no knowledge) about vehicle dynamics as some. Everyone has their own goals for what they may want when doing suspension modifications. Done with a systematic approach, an excellent setup can be had.

OP
OP
AmericanLegend

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I'm honestly shocked that people don't understand that these are part of a system. But I guess if you have $80 to blow and want to add GT350R to your dig...
I understand your general point of view....hence why I didn't install the biggest bars I could find. It is absolutely a balance game. Bigger isn't always better with sway bars. The 36.5 mm front, 25 mm rear Ford Performance sway bars on a GT with PP dampeners would of probably been too much.
Reviews commonly state that the Ford Performance bars are too stiff by themselves.

I always thought the Performance Pack suspension set up was marginally adequate in straight stock form, which is why I was looking for more.

I will say my car now transitions into, holds the intended line, and hooks much better coming out of corners with the Shelby 34 mm / 24 mm sway bar set up...so far I'm extremely happy.

You should actually drive this setup....it still feels balanced to me.
* Set up = BMR Performance springs, PP dampeners.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
My parts are all OEM and it gets squirrelly because some genius accountant thought 235/50-18 all season tires would be great on a 435HP RWD sports car. Just because it is OEM doesn't mean it is infallible.

With that said, I think you are being a bit overcritical to the point of insulting and annoying. You said your peace. If you have something less vague and more specific (meaning some serious theory and calculations to back your theories), please stop. At this point, your statements hold less water than the OP, he has them installed on a car with non-OEM parts and has lived to see another day.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm honestly shocked that people don't understand that these are part of a system.
What I'm honestly shocked at is your refusal to admit that at least some of us do understand exactly that. And that one size isn't necessarily going to fit everybody (even at the F1 level it doesn't).

I've been tweaking suspensions and handling balance since about 1970, and been learning ever since both from driving experience as well as self-education on the engineering side.

I've committed some of the engineering stuff to spreadsheets so I can put a numerical handle on what I can expect to happen from making certain parts changes without having to buy, install, and test-drive every available combination. FWIW, I was 'off' exactly one hole - less than 25 lb/in - on a rear bar change I felt was necessitated by a swap from OE springs to a very specific set of aftermarket springs (i.e. not specifically built for a 'regular GT).

I don't make random parts choices.

Norm

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
What I'm honestly shocked at is your refusal to admit that at least some of us do understand exactly that. And that one size isn't necessarily going to fit everybody (even at the F1 level it doesn't).
No where did I say that. In fact its the input of people such as yourself that can help to quantify some of the changes when "upgrading" My comments are more aimed towards those who see R or GT350 on a part that is cheap and immediately think "Oh shit! GT350! This must be better, I'll buy it," no questions asked. I posted the complete list of parts to change the suspension and that led to several PMs asking me about he mixing and matching of parts. Most of these questions were simply someone asking "How cheaply can I add this stuff?"

As for contributing more... I have engaged Intercomp on the possibility of having the GT PP, FP Track and base GT350 dampers tested at PRI this year on one of their shock dynos that is being used for a seminar.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No where did I say that. In fact its the input of people such as yourself that can help to quantify some of the changes when "upgrading" My comments are more aimed towards those who see R or GT350 on a part that is cheap and immediately think "Oh shit! GT350! This must be better, I'll buy it," no questions asked. I posted the complete list of parts to change the suspension and that led to several PMs asking me about he mixing and matching of parts. Most of these questions were simply someone asking "How cheaply can I add this stuff?"

As for contributing more... I have engaged Intercomp on the possibility of having the GT PP, FP Track and base GT350 dampers tested at PRI this year on one of their shock dynos that is being used for a seminar.
You'd have yourself some :cheers: with that one.