zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I immediately regret commenting on this thread. The complete and utter disinterest for functional performance is hurting my soul.
Come on now, don’t act like you’ve never done a mod to your cars that wasn’t purely to upgrade the looks of an already functional part.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Come on now, don’t act like you’ve never done a mod to your cars that wasn’t purely to upgrade the looks of an already functional part.
Yeah nope. Wheels is maybe the only thing, and that's improving function in all aspects while improving looks. There is zero functional reason for "upgrading" to the GT350 rear brakes and a few reasons to not. Don't be that guy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Unless you count temporarily putting black tape over the yellow sticker on the driver side visor in our WRX, no. Not ever, and that covers well over 50 years at this point. If it wasn't functional or made for some sort of functional improvement, I could never justify the expense to myself.

Every aftermarket wheel I've ever bought has been at least a full inch wider than the OE wheel that came off.

What's funny is that I've made a number of mods on various cars strictly for functional reasons that many folks consider a downgrade from an appearance perspective. Mounting tires on max-recommended width wheels, for one.

Norm

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Yep. Never dated any girl for her appearance or hoped she'd improve it. If she needed to gain some weight so she could help me carry furniture better, I would feed her beer milkshakes. There is no reason to improve aesthetics ever. :p

OP
OP

stangpede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / PPP
Yeah nope. Wheels is maybe the only thing, and that's improving function in all aspects while improving looks. There is zero functional reason for "upgrading" to the GT350 rear brakes and a few reasons to not. Don't be that guy.
It’s an upgrade to the majority. Gt350 has them for a reason, competitors have them for a reason, packages have them for a reason, marketing has them for a reason. They work and look great to car enthusiasts.

Functionality speaking, a Ford Mustang GT wouldn’t be the best use of 40k. You bought a GT because it hauls ass AND it looks great.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It’s an upgrade to the majority. Gt350 has them for a reason, competitors have them for a reason, packages have them for a reason, marketing has them for a reason. They work and look great to car enthusiasts.

Functionality speaking, a Ford Mustang GT wouldn’t be the best use of 40k. You bought a GT because it hauls ass AND it looks great.
Well, not really no. Upgrading the rears and not the fronts will more than likely be a downgrade to performance. This will seriously mess up the brake bias balance, as the Mustang GT was not designed for such large calipers on the rear of the car, dude. This sounds like a seriously vain and stupid upgrade to be quite frank. It's a big waste of money. Do you really feel the car is inadequate simply because the GT has only single piston rear calipers? If it works, it works. You'd be better off just painting the GT calipers to "better" the appearance, which I also am not a fan of doing.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s an upgrade to the majority. Gt350 has them for a reason, competitors have them for a reason, packages have them for a reason, marketing has them for a reason.
And you can rest assured that the GT350 team and those competitors have worked out their cars' front to rear brake balance accordingly. I would hope that the developers of any packages have addressed that as well.

When it comes to a vehicle's operating and control systems, a modification is not an upgrade unless the associated mechanical performance is improved.

In this particular case of big rear brakes . . . the opinion of your majority is not based on sound reasoning. Appearance is not a sound reason in this instance.

Norm

OP
OP

stangpede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / PPP
Well, not really no. Upgrading the rears and not the fronts will more than likely be a downgrade to performance. This will seriously mess up the brake bias balance, as the Mustang GT was not designed for such large calipers on the rear of the car, dude. This sounds like a seriously vain and stupid upgrade to be quite frank. It's a big waste of money. Do you really feel the car is inadequate simply because the GT has only single piston rear calipers? If it works, it works. You'd be better off just painting the GT calipers to "better" the appearance, which I also am not a fan of doing.
Also not a fan of painting the calipers. Yeah I got my answer here right away - I would have to upgrade the whole brake system. But the conversation switch to why I want to do it. And yes appearance is the major reason. I’m tired of everybody complementing my fronts then asking why I didn’t get the rears done. Which leads to a convo about how Ford cheaped out blah blah blah.

People get nice looking heavy rims, paint there taillights or put stickers on there cars for appearance.

I like matching Brembos all around, I’ll be saving up for a complete brake system now.

chewdogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Ruby Red
Also not a fan of painting the calipers. Yeah I got my answer here right away - I would have to upgrade the whole brake system. But the conversation switch to why I want to do it. And yes appearance is the major reason. I’m tired of everybody complementing my fronts then asking why I didn’t get the rears done. Which leads to a convo about how Ford cheaped out blah blah blah.

People get nice looking heavy rims, paint there taillights or put stickers on there cars for appearance.

I like matching Brembos all around, I’ll be saving up for a complete brake system now.
I say go for it. It's yours enjoy. Ford has a full conversion but its $$$$ and you will have to get new wheels to clear the huge calipers and the rear offset is changed. Found a few guys who did it when i was looking into this option but the cost turned me away.
Sponsored