luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Hello community,

today after taking delivery of my brand new GT I realized the rear plate, the glossy one with the GT logo on it, is out of alignment. And it's also scratched, courtesy of some transporter that don't know how to behave (there is the sign of the three fingers, closing the rear bonnet).

Did someone already had to deal with this?
You can see that on the right-hand side is straight, on the left-hand side is definitely out a few millimeters.

AllineamentoSX-KO.jpg

AllineamentoDX-OK.jpg
Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Welcome to the world of Mustang drivers. šŸ„³

This is a more or less normal fitting of the decklid panel*, but you should take it up with the seller.
There are several things playing together, going back to the body assembly.
I would try to adjust this via the taillights, by thicker rubber washers.
Thats what I did after installing the EPM tail lights.
You can not adjust the decklid panel itself in this regard.
Adjusting the tailgate is also not a solution if its other gaps are OK.

Regarding the scratches, you can hardly avoid that, only with a protective film.
Such a protective film should also be pulled over the front skirt and hood, the geometry and the paint seem to be very vulnerable to stone chips.

*It's just a plum (a term of affection for the Ford emblem in my country), and somehow the price reduction compared to a BMW M4 has to be justified.
And better stop measuring body gaps in mm. šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Mine is slightly off like yours. Thereā€™s really nothing you can do to adjust the decklid panel unfortunately. I just left mine alone, didnā€™t bother to try to shim the taillight or anything like that. I know itā€™s slightly off and itā€™s a bit annoying but unless you know to look for it, most people wonā€™t notice.

OP
OP
luca1290

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
After your comments I went down and took a look.

Yes, it can't be adjusted because it's screwed directly to the sheet metal the bonnet is made of. So probably it's the design that accounts for some imperfection in the pressing process.

Guess I have to live with that, but my other ride is a Mercedes that is a little different in the panel fitting compartment :crackup:.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
Mine is slightly off like yours. Thereā€™s really nothing you can do to adjust the decklid panel unfortunately. I just left mine alone, didnā€™t bother to try to shim the taillight or anything like that. I know itā€™s slightly off and itā€™s a bit annoying but unless you know to look for it, most people wonā€™t notice.
Funny, mine is a little misaligned only on the driver's side. I just left it also, not going to worry about that. The rest of the car has been assembled very good, and the interior is excellent. I was surprised by some of the things I've read here on the forum, perhaps it's some hit and miss type of things, but I'm very pleased with it.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Funny, mine is a little misaligned only on the driver's side. I just left it also, not going to worry about that. The rest of the car has been assembled very good, and the interior is excellent. I was surprised by some of the things I've read here on the forum, perhaps it's some hit and miss type of things, but I'm very pleased with it.
Same here, all my other panel gaps and everything are good so no complaints here.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Mine is off too. I replaced mine with a Ford Performance one with no GT logo and it is exactly the same way. I've got other panel gap issues too, the hood is a little off on the drivers side, both doors stick out a little. Just quirks of the car, nothing major so I drive on and don't worry about it.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
you're going to have to be pretty generous with the latitude afforded the gaps on these cars.
the front end offers a lot of adjustment, i was able to dial that in pretty good, but that panel is contingent upon taillight and decklid alignment to look right.

OP
OP
luca1290

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
I'm very happy with the car overall. It's a smile every time I see her, not to mention when I hear the V8 roar to life.

All other panel gaps and alignments are very good, so I won't complain anymore about this. We have to make compromises, I guess.

Just have to understand how to remove the stains from the paint remained from the transport process: both bonnets and roof had a protective film on them, and there are stains on the paint as a result. Don't know if glue or wax.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The wraps donā€™t stain, but they can leave a bit of glue residue where they have been folded / stretched around the edges of panels etc.

If the paint is stained, I would think that was there either before the wrap was applied or itā€™s happened after removal :frown:

WD :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP
luca1290

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
The wraps donā€™t stain, but they can leave a bit of glue residue where they have been folded / stretched around the edges of panels etc.

If the paint is stained, I would think that was there either before the wrap was applied or itā€™s happened after removal :frown:

WD :like:
I don't think it happened after removal because I saw the car wrapped and it was unwrapped the day before I took delivery. In the meantime she sat on the exact closed space I saw her.
It looks like glue (even if it doesn't stick), but I've been unable to remove it completely with TarX (it's a detailing tar/glue remover I used successfully in the past).
Let's say 90% goes away but then some part of it remains, superficially, attached to the paint.
This is before:

574B00B0-0ABF-4404-B616-0CA10AACDC19.JPG

And this is after (sorry for the bad focus on this one):
D81A6881-85AF-4CAF-9F60-3740C317C1C8.JPG

The predelivery guy asked me what I was using to wash her and I replied "microfiber and neutral shampoo". He told me that if some stains remained he would give me a product to remove them because they will not go away with shampoo.
I'm really surprised anyway they didn't come off with TarX, but probably I'm trying to solve them with the wrong solvent.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Mine looked exactly like yours. I took some plastic spacers like others have mentioned and was able to space the taillight out so it looks better.
50692113-F816-436D-AC30-BAF5C627C226.jpeg
Sponsored