Rear end Swap. Question

Alerotaz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I guess I am stupid or just don't understand.. Sorry. so i will ask bluntly.
I want to change my 3:15 gear in an Auto 2015 GT. I am understanding I cant just swap the gears due to rear end pumpkin..
So I would be better to buy a whole set up off ebay .. Do auto and manuals a direct swap? Do i need to look for anything special?
Thank you for any information in advance.. Thank You

Alerotaz
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Alerotaz,

This thread may have the info you’re seeking:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/swapping-rear-end-gears-on-a-pp.11162/

Also note the following:

1) There are diff case differences - iron vs aluminum

2) be careful with whatever rear diffs you are seeing online and on eBay because if you’re going for a complete rear diff (housing w/gearing) there were changes for the 2018+. All 2018 PP S550’s come w/ Torsen and also have the provision for the rear axle temp sensor. Also be careful with a used diff, some sellers can be shady and be selling a bad diff for a too good to be true price.

3) there are rear pinion flange differences between an Auto trans vs. Manual trans equipped S550’s (applies to both the 2015-2017 and 2018-up). If you get the wrong flange for your application, you will need to swap the flange out out so that could be added expenses.

Google LKQ or copart.com - those are reliable sources for getting a complete rear diff for fair street pricing.

There’s also a few complete user diffs on here in the Members Classified sub-forum.

TIP:
- If the rear diff has Trac-loc guts, you won't be able to see through it with axles removed. There will be a "bar" in the hole which is for the spider gears.

- If the rear diff has Torsen guts, you'll be able to see through it with axles removed.

Last edited:

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thx I'm going to pass on the no info one for sale. Too many unanswered questions.
Thank you for the info.
Sponsored