ianianian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with PP1
Hi All,

I just went to a track day with my 2018 GT with PP1 half a month ago, and took it for a road trip for ~700 miles one week ago. After all these, it was about 5k miles on the car ,and I sent it to the dealership for its very 1st maintenance. When the maintenance was done, the employee there told me that both rear rotors are gouged/scratched excessively (I will attach the photos) but still safe for a 5k mile car, but the rear pads are ok and have ~8mm on them. Front rotors and pads are normal.

They would like to help me replace the rotors with new ones since the car is still within warranty, but they need to take a look on what was happened exactly. I believe it is due to the track day although I didn't notice this right after the track event.

So here are the questions:
1) Should I tell them I took the car to a track day?
2) If I tell them, are they still going to help me on replace them (front rotors are still ok after all these things)?
3) What I'm really afraid of is that, are they going to void the entire warranty on my car if I tell them?

If you have some experience with this kind of situation, please give me some advice. Really appreciate it!

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, rotors are really pretty cheap if you hit up the good online vendors, but if you don't replace the pads, I would assume they would just end up with the same pattern. Are they squeaking? Full Tilt Boogie has them for $65 each. http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2015_S550_Brake_parts.htm

Ford shouldn't void your warranty for doing a track day, but they may make a note and it could hurt your ability to get repairs down the road, if they think the track day contributed. I'd never volunteer that to a dealer (unless asked directly).

If they're trying to replace them under warranty, I'd let them. You don't know for sure if it was caused by the track day anyway, or some defect in the pads or rotors.

OP
OP

ianianian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your advice. I will eventually do that before my next track day.

OP
OP

ianianian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yan
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, rotors are really pretty cheap if you hit up the good online vendors, but if you don't replace the pads, I would assume they would just end up with the same pattern. Are they squeaking? Full Tilt Boogie has them for $65 each. http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2015_S550_Brake_parts.htm

Ford shouldn't void your warranty for doing a track day, but they may make a note and it could hurt your ability to get repairs down the road, if they think the track day contributed. I'd never volunteer that to a dealer (unless asked directly).

If they're trying to replace them under warranty, I'd let them. You don't know for sure if it was caused by the track day anyway, or some defect in the pads or rotors.
Thanks! That's very help. There's no noise on the rear brakes. I do feel the brake pedal is getting a little bit soft, but I think it may be due to the brake fluid.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
If your Dealer is savy they will know you have pushed the car a little. Everything is recorded on your computer, In any event it appears like your brakes got really hot and small road debris got stuck in between the rotors and pads which fused to the pads and scoured your rotors. If It were me I would change out the rotors and the pads and not take a chance on doing further damage. Try Concept 1 for slotted and drilled rotors, good prices for quality parts. I installed them all around on my car with less than 5000 miles and I love the look and stopping power. On the other hand Roll the Dice and have the dealer replace them under Warranty. Good Luck.

Last edited: