Really Want to lower the car

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I lowered my '15 GT and it looked good but the handling wasn't the same after. I won't be touching the 350. It will be tough since I love the look of flush and minimal gap, but I have to remember that it has the stance it has for a reason! If it needed to be lower they'd of made it lower.
Agreed! If it was lowered and done properly the max would probably be with the R springs and that drop is very minimal. less than 1/2", correct me if I'm wrong please.
Not worth the likely compromise with no MR modified tune.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Well you can lower a car in lots of ways. You can cut springs. You can get shorter springs. You can get coil overs where the spring rates match the shock valving. ETC

Cars are the height they are for reasons that have nothing to do with performance.

Most of the cars with the gap shown are lower at speed.

Last edited:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well you can lower a car in lots of ways. You can cut springs. You can get shorter springs. You can get coil overs where the spring rates match the shock valving. ETC

Cars are the height they are for reasons that have nothing to do for performance.

Most of the cars with the gap shown are lower at speed.
This just isnt true for performance cars. Suspension travel is very much linked to performance

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
This just isnt true for performance cars. Suspension travel is very much linked to performance
You just need enough travel to so changes in the road surface dont unsettle the car. After that all things being equal lower is better. The mustang is no different do you think its a coincidence all performance cars are so low?

The cars height is not because its ideal for performance, its so it can get into driveways and not crash into those stops in parking lots.

Some rally cars are lower who needs more travel?

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
I like what you guys are saying . I dont want to lower it that much, just enough so that the ride quality doesn't go away and of course the handling, i was thinking a little more than how to R is lowered so that way when we run for say a 325/30/19 tire it wouldn't have such a huuuuuge gap and also the stance would look mean with those new R spec wheels or whatever wheels you guys choose.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
because as of right now we're pretty limited to the 305/35/19 tires that are out there, ther aren't many tires that come in a wider size with a 35 side wall most if not all have a 30 sidewall if going wider. which is what i wanted.

OP
OP

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
Bump hope some one see's this and has more knowledge to chime in with any information regarding if any

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
because as of right now we're pretty limited to the 305/35/19 tires that are out there, ther aren't many tires that come in a wider size with a 35 side wall most if not all have a 30 sidewall if going wider. which is what i wanted.
There is a Supersport in 295/35R20 for Porsche that would kill much of the fender gap due to the extra diameter. Avoid the Ferrari spec tires as apparently some of them are... unsuited to anything but the car they were designed for.

Sponsored

MAJ_MALFUNCTION

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Triple Yellow
if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Some exotics (like the 458) offer the ability to raise the nose of the vehicle (with the push of a button) to clear speed bumps, steep driveways, etc. Without that, I'm always scared I'll damage the car when I encounter those types of obstacles.

Hope you're able to find a solution that works for you, though.

Panthers1521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor
I have lowered most of the cars I have ever bought. There is no doubt the GT350 would handle better if it was lower (physics). Also the DOT mandates how low cars can be from the factory, and some people live in flat parts of the county who do not need the extra hight clearance. Its just springs, and the install is pretty easy with the right tools.

Panthers1521

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Raptor
Could we get the R spring and have ford re calibrate the dampners?
From what I have read on other forums, "Yes", and people have had success doing it. But I am not sure if there is a drop in height. I am thinking they will end up being the same height.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ive never had a car handle worse after being lowered. They may of rode worse though.
Any gains that you got came from the increased spring rate and the mostly subliminal perception of reduced roll.

Lowering the CG does not produce gains anywhere near proportional to the small amount that the CG actually dropped, and left uncorrected the geometry tends to end up worse than before.

Strut roll centers drop faster than the CG does. Meaning that some of your added spring rate gets used up just holding roll down to what it was before lowering.

Most SLA and multilink suspension RC's tend to fall at about the same rate as the CG drops, which being different from what's happening up front changes how the car's handling balance shifts during turn-in (while roll is in the process of developing).

Spring rate used up in maintaining the original amounts of roll still contribute to ride "firmness" . . .

As long as you're on street tires, which I'll define as most anything with 140 treadwear or higher - you're not likely to ever get on the verge of unweighting both tires on the same side of the car in the hardest corner you'll ever take. Even if you're close, any lowering specifically for competition-level driving would probably be better done via shorter tires (that will lower the whole car without degrading the geometry) if possible.

You should be able to datalog lateral g's in excess of 1.35 without lifting any inside tire without doing any lowering whatsoever.

Full disclosure - I finally lowered the car pictured in my avatar and sig, which had datalogged about 1.35 g laterally in its unlowered state. I only lowered it a little over half an inch, and only for the 100% increase in front spring rate and 50% increase in rear spring rate I was getting. It needed a little more rear sta-bar to re-balance it afterward.

Norm
Sponsored