NovaSayan

NovaSayan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sayan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Let me help you save some time. A very, VERY good street and track car is spelled Ohlins. Don't even waste your time thinking about inferior coil overs.

@Bluemustang was nice enough to let me flog his car a bit on some roads this afternoon. Barrelling down pavement that ranged from good to really quite bad the ohlins handled it like nothing else I've driven.

We repeated the journey with my Mach1 in all 3 modes and as really pretty good the MR is now with the Steeda dual rate spring set, the difference was STARK. The M1 could not keep up and was throwing the car and occupants around vastly more than the ohlins. It was still driveable but only in Track mode did Ford tuning crank in enough rebound to keep things from getting a bit ragged. I agree the dual rate rears have to be tossed in favor of the original 750ish straight rate.

Find the 3 grand. I'm serious. I'm this close to binning my Fortune Auto 510 set on the other GT and splashing out for the ohlins.

For giggles I'll come back and run the FA equipped GT over the same road but I know already I'm gonna need a.plastic bag with wipes and fresh undies.
Interesting stuff, damn he really turned that Mustang into a monster. I'm going to look a bit more into Ohlins, I trust in the amount you're hyping them haha. How are the Fortune Auto's btw? Those are some coilovers my buddy is considering getting.

To the OP, just add the sway bars and the other items to the Track Kit and you will be very satisfied. A lot of the prowess of the Mach1HP and the PP2 is the fact they run a 10.5" wide front tire along 305s up front.
Very true! Those tires go such a long way, although I felt a massive difference in control when getting my suspension put on, the tires made me equally as impressed with how much grip I have mid-corner. I'll probably scout out the items from the track kit, thanks!

I'm in Alexandria so I reckon you're nearby. Give me a jangle and you can take a ride in my GT and/or M1.
Appreciate it, thanks so much! I'll give you a heads-up for sure. I live down in Woodbridge so Alexandria isn't that far at all. I haven't been on the forums much at all, I could be thinking of someone else but I remember you not liking the Mach 1 that much. What got you to change your mind and how's it been for you?
To add to the topic. Building a suspension setup usually start with wheels and tires. The go to standard for the Mustang looks to be 19x11 with 305/315 or 305/305 and 315/315 tires. For competition strongly dependant on rules. Ones you select your wheels and tires you have a few stages on suspension mods:

1. Camber Plates + Performance allignment this does goes a long way as a lot here have said I did added a steeda front bar and was reasonably quick like that for 2 whole seasons.

2. Stiffer Springs + Shocks (FP Track Pack, BMR 083 with shock etc). This will help you control your body roll better as well as brake dive etc.

3. Good set of coilovers. This usually is the better option allows more adjustability (ride height) but it's more expensive and harder to maintain properly. My choice was here and was Ohlins but other reasonable options are: MCS, JRZ RS Pro, JRi and Penske (if you are really loaded).

4. Full ajustable suspension (Toe-Links, Endlinks, Front Control Arm, Bumpsteer kit) this will help you really dial your ride as well as will resolve a lot of the issues from lowering.

5. Bearings all around literally replacing every single bushing in the suspension with a bearing at that point you are at strictly track car territory this will help with wheel hop, transitions and will be solid 0.2-0.3 sec improvement but will make the car harsher over bumps.

All of this mods should be based on the rule set you want to compete in and be sure what mods are allowed or not allowed first before spending money.

I really hope this helps.
This is splendid advice, thank you man! It really did help a lot
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Stock GT350 wheels and tires
Stock GT350R sway bars (front is the same between the 350 and the 350R)
Stock GT350 springs from an early 350 without Magneride
Ford Performance track struts and shocks

They were all direct bolt-ons. Also had the car aligned to PP2 specs.
I'm torn between that ^ and Ford Perff track kit. Surprised noone sells shelby components as a kit.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I have to say with the Ford Track Kit and 19x10 and 19X11 wheels with 285/35/19 and 305/35/19 Michelins the car has tremendous mechanical grip. My only real complaint with this car is the lack of feel from the front end.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Interesting stuff, damn he really turned that Mustang into a monster. I'm going to look a bit more into Ohlins, I trust in the amount you're hyping them haha. How are the Fortune Auto's btw? Those are some coilovers my buddy is considering getting.

Very true! Those tires go such a long way, although I felt a massive difference in control when getting my suspension put on, the tires made me equally as impressed with how much grip I have mid-corner. I'll probably scout out the items from the track kit, thanks!

Appreciate it, thanks so much! I'll give you a heads-up for sure. I live down in Woodbridge so Alexandria isn't that far at all. I haven't been on the forums much at all, I could be thinking of someone else but I remember you not liking the Mach 1 that much. What got you to change your mind and how's it been for you?

This is splendid advice, thank you man! It really did help a lot
Handling/ride comfort is a tough balance for a performance car. The M1 HP has been perfectly tuned to be comfortable as a daily driver as well as great performer around curves. The package has been tuned nicely but what makes a big difference is the awesome Magnaride/springs. Also the Wheel/Tire combo, I remember the ride of my S197 suffered greatly with 20s. I have more miles than most here, at 20K miles its been excellent daily. I hear its difficult to convert to Magnaride so in your case you must select adjustable shocks with good springs to achieve the desired damping for your application.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
following

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Handling/ride comfort is a tough balance for a performance car. The M1 HP has been perfectly tuned to be comfortable as a daily driver as well as great performer around curves. The package has been tuned nicely but what makes a big difference is the awesome Magnaride/springs. Also the Wheel/Tire combo, I remember the ride of my S197 suffered greatly with 20s. I have more miles than most here, at 20K miles its been excellent daily. I hear its difficult to convert to Magnaride so in your case you must select adjustable shocks with good springs to achieve the desired damping for your application.
Dude, step away from the Kool-aide.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have to say with the Ford Track Kit and 19x10 and 19X11 wheels with 285/35/19 and 305/35/19 Michelins the car has tremendous mechanical grip. My only real complaint with this car is the lack of feel from the front end.
Can you elaborate on "lack of feeling"? What parts are responsible for steering feel?

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Can you elaborate on "lack of feeling"? What parts are responsible for steering feel?
PS type(hydraulic vs EPS), EPS programming, suspension geometry, suspension bushings, tire size/weight, weight distribution...

Mustangs have never had much if any steering feel(ability to sense front tire behavior through the steering wheel). Most cars these days don't, outside of some exotics ie Ferrari/McLaren(the latter still uses hydraulic PS), GTx Porsches, and some of the GM Alpha cars.

Doesn't bother me much but its a want for some drivers. Helps build trust in the front end more quickly.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
^^^^^

By the way, that's a movie quote and it was really fun using it. Cheers for that.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
^^^^^

By the way, that's a movie quote and it was really fun using it. Cheers for that.
My bad I came a little strong. I do like the Mach 1 kool aide though. I was just stating my experience with it.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hey, I'm glad you're happy with your car. Don't get me wrong; I think you probably have one of the best examples of the entire product line. It's still very much a street car and because of that, even with the Magneride, there will be limitations compared with more race-oriented parts.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
PS type(hydraulic vs EPS), EPS programming, suspension geometry, suspension bushings, tire size/weight, weight distribution...

Mustangs have never had much if any steering feel(ability to sense front tire behavior through the steering wheel). Most cars these days don't, outside of some exotics ie Ferrari/McLaren(the latter still uses hydraulic PS), GTx Porsches, and some of the GM Alpha cars.

Doesn't bother me much but its a want for some drivers. Helps build trust in the front end more quickly.
IMO upgrading to front control arm bearings helps SOMEWHAT and also maintaining suspension geometry/roll center also helps. But nothing can really be done about the electrically assisted steering. It doesn't have a lot of feel and my car is modded out to "the nines". The road feel is fine but there's not a lot of warning of the tire grip limit. There is almost no suspension bushing I haven't touched. There IS a lot you can do to get great response from the rear tires, however. RLCA bearing. But, yeah with the fronts there's not a lot you can do until you've reached the front tire limit. If the car is properly sorted, you can usually react quickly. Great tires can make a big difference here too.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
EPS is what it is. We're hustling around pretty heavy cars with pretty wide tires. It either takes quite a bit of assist to turn those tires or Dwayne Johnson arms. It's never going to feel like a light car with manual steering.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
EPS is what it is. We're hustling around pretty heavy cars with pretty wide tires. It either takes quite a bit of assist to turn those tires or Dwayne Johnson arms. It's never going to feel like a light car with manual steering.
Good point. And, when people say that the steering is too light feeling even in Sport mode - I've always felt the steering feel is plenty heavy, if that's what you want. I've gone to comfort mode, normal mode and always go back to Sport. It just feels right to me.
Sponsored