Rattle/knock from rear - BMR parts

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Hello all. First post and happy to be here. I just picked up a 2016 GT, 11k miles. It's an auto, VMP-blown, made over 600 at the tires.

Car has a BMR cradle lockout, BMR toe rods, and BMR lower control arm bearings. I admit, coming from a solid-rear Fox body, I'm just now learning what all this stuff is/does.

The car makes some serious noise over bumps and changes in road height. If I get into and out of the driver's seat somewhat aggressively, it does it, too. I can also get it to do it by pushing down hard on the trunk. I had the wheels off and can get it to pop/clunk when I lift the lower control arm with a jack, but I still can't pinpoint it.

Previous owner said the noise wasn't present whenever the toe links/rear suspension was wet. He believed it was dirt/dust related.

Has anyone experienced similar noises with the IRS, particularly with these aftermarket parts? It's terribly frustrating. I sold my highly-modified, solid-bushings-everywhere Fox body for a more refined ride, and this thing makes more noise than that car ever did. Thanks a lot.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Todd

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Just did a bunch of reading. Going to lubricate the toe rods tomorrow and report back. I have a feeling that's it.
It's got BMR springs, billet shock mounts.

Last edited:

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
If it has Steeda billet shock mounts I’d check the torque on that top nut. Should be 24 lb-ft

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
It’s not the BMR parts, that I would doubt. Either something isn’t torqued/installed right or something needs to be lubricated.

Sponsored

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Feel free to call me tomorrow to discuss. This stuff is usually quick and easy to resolve. I'm sorry to hear of the issues, but the good news is you WILL get them resolved quickly and be able to enjoy the car you wanted. ;)

OP
OP
Todd

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Feel free to call me tomorrow to discuss. This stuff is usually quick and easy to resolve. I'm sorry to hear of the issues, but the good news is you WILL get them resolved quickly and be able to enjoy the car you wanted. ;)
No doubt it will be resolved. I'll call you.

OP
OP
Todd

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Hey, Kelly. Thanks for taking the time to chat today. I cleaned and lubricated the toe rods. The noise was gone for a few minutes (which it usually is after the car sits for hours anyway) but it came back. As far as I can tell, everything is tight. I corrected an error above. It has BMR springs, not Eibach. It sounds like the clunk/pop is coming from the spring area. It's really hard to pinpoint, even from under the car. It definitely seems to be coming from suspension closer to the wheel, and not the cradle.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Kelly. Thanks for taking the time to chat today. I cleaned and lubricated the toe rods. The noise was gone for a few minutes (which it usually is after the car sits for hours anyway) but it came back. As far as I can tell, everything is tight. I corrected an error above. It has BMR springs, not Eibach. It sounds like the clunk/pop is coming from the spring area. It's really hard to pinpoint, even from under the car. It definitely seems to be coming from suspension closer to the wheel, and not the cradle.
Well the spring is about furthest thing inboard from the wheel besides the inner points of the upper and lower arms.

SienarSystems

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1 1LE
I’m still stunned at how responsive Kelly is...I’ve got a similar post-BMR issue and he emailed me early Monday morning after sending him a note over the weekend.

I wouldn’t consider my issue a knock so much as a clunk. I’ve gone through all the posts about our transmission but did not have any driveline issues before my install. Heck, even my wife noticed (she’s got the car while I’m out of town). Noise only happens when shifting, and I’m to try to get it on video to see what Kelly thinks. If I couldn’t post pictures of my car here I’d bet I’ve got no chance of uploading a video...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Todd

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
I’m still stunned at how responsive Kelly is...I’ve got a similar post-BMR issue and he emailed me early Monday morning after sending him a note over the weekend.

I wouldn’t consider my issue a knock so much as a clunk. I’ve gone through all the posts about our transmission but did not have any driveline issues before my install. Heck, even my wife noticed (she’s got the car while I’m out of town). Noise only happens when shifting, and I’m to try to get it on video to see what Kelly thinks. If I couldn’t post pictures of my car here I’d bet I’ve got no chance of uploading a video...
Yes, indeed. He was very helpful. My noise is absolutely consistent with up and down motion of the rear suspension. It doesn't seem to do it when the car has sat for a little bit, like overnight. It's strange, but it's LOUD.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
Was this ever resolved? I have a clunk from the passenger rear wheel well area when going over bumps....

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Was this ever resolved? I have a clunk from the passenger rear wheel well area when going over bumps....
Shock mount properly torqued down?

OP
OP
Todd

Todd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
It was the rod ends on the toe arms .

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I had a similar thing happen with mine. I’ve since put the stock toe links back on and noise is gone.
Sponsored