LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Another south florida drag strip closing up... Been open since 1965 and at one time was called moroso motorsport park.
Sponsored

GTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just means more kids will reason that's its okay to do it on the streets because they will have no place else to go.
Most prefer roll racing anyways so I imagine that will continue. The best would be if road courses open up a straight away for drag or roll racing. One track outside of DC does this Friday nights for $20 or $50. You can select who you run against and do roll or proper drag racing.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Just means more kids will reason that's its okay to do it on the streets because they will have no place else to go.
Nothing new, contest on the streets have been a thing since men returned from war.
Tracks being open or not, has never mattered.
The tracks requiring gear that cost more than the kids car is why they stopped going.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Nothing new, contest on the streets have been a thing since men returned from war.
Tracks being open or not, has never mattered.
The tracks requiring gear that cost more than the kids car is why they stopped going.
Few of the kids have a car that costs less than a helmet.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Few of the kids have a car that costs less than a helmet.
I have a helmet that I used twice at the drag strip, it was a at the time 580.00 simson in 2003 money.
It was always put back in the box and in the basement, The snell rating/date now makes it a paperweight, same with the 5 point harness, jacket and shoes.
To go to the track and really get after it, I'll have to get a new 600.00 helmet, new belts, And new jacket ,gloves and shoes ( last 3 my choice, )
Only to go too fast, and be sent packing.
because the SFI ballancer is out of date and needs to be retested, the flexplate same thing, and on and on it goes.
I'd love to take the car back to the track and really push it not just run it part throttle and coast the last few hundred feet., but to do that again, it be a few grand. I can't go enough now because of family and work to spend that type money on things that will date out before I get enough use out of them, So the car doesn't go to the track, sad. but what can ya do. and tracks go under because of this.
So it gets a work out in other ways. and I'll leave it at that.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I have a helmet that I used twice at the drag strip, it was a at the time 580.00 simson in 2003 money.
It was always put back in the box and in the basement, The snell rating/date now makes it a paperweight, same with the 5 point harness, jacket and shoes.
To go to the track and really get after it, I'll have to get a new 600.00 helmet, new belts, And new jacket ,gloves and shoes ( last 3 my choice, )
Only to go too fast, and be sent packing.
because the SFI ballancer is out of date and needs to be retested, the flexplate same thing, and on and on it goes.
I'd love to take the car back to the track and really push it not just run it part throttle and coast the last few hundred feet., but to do that again, it be a few grand. I can't go enough now because of family and work to spend that type money on things that will date out before I get enough use out of them, So the car doesn't go to the track, sad. but what can ya do. and tracks go under because of this.
So it gets a work out in other ways. and I'll leave it at that.
I don't know any "kids" with cars running fast enough at the strip to have to need roll cages and full kit at the drag strip. They are running MAYBE 12's unless they are playing with Daddy's money, and if that's the case, they can afford the gear for running fast enough to require it.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Noise regulations and profitable real estate. Kills 'em every time.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Another south florida drag strip closing up... Been open since 1965 and at one time was called moroso motorsport park.
Sad to see them close. It isn't a drag strip, but I was sad to see North Wilkesboro Speedway close way back when. It was only an hour from me. There were some good Nascar races there. I know several people have tried reviving it, but no one has been successful yet. It just sits there, abandoned, weeds growing everywhere. Sad stuff man...

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know any "kids" with cars running fast enough at the strip to have to need roll cages and full kit at the drag strip. They are running MAYBE 12's unless they are playing with Daddy's money, and if that's the case, they can afford the gear for running fast enough to require it.
Yawn, kids don't have a race/track only car, So even if they can afford the gear, unlikely, have you ever tried to live with a cage in a daily?
I think you are also out of touch on how easy it is and cheap to go fast today and NEED the gear.
A pos 4.8 v8 reg cab truck with a cheap @$$ turbo and tune will get you sent packing, It isn't the '80's anymore. going stupid fast is easy and cheap.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Noise regulations and profitable real estate. Kills 'em every time.
Racers don't help. they rather make a ton of noise than go 4-6 tenths slower but not piss off the neighbors with noise.
Then cry when a track they goto is gone.
Asking them to run real mufflers you'd think you asked them to kill their first born.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yawn, kids don't have a race/track only car, So even if they can afford the gear, unlikely, have you ever tried to live with a cage in a daily?
I think you are also out of touch on how easy it is and cheap to go fast today and NEED the gear.
A pos 4.8 v8 reg cab truck with a cheap @$$ turbo and tune will get you sent packing, It isn't the '80's anymore. going stupid fast is easy and cheap.
I was 5 in the 80's.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
WTF. Is the whole place going belly-up? They have a road course as well...

Myrtle Beach Speedway (my hometown) ate dirt and will likely be turned into shitty ass real-estate. I was truly upset about that. I'd taken my New Edge around that track many times, ran drag night events there, etc. Lots of Mustang Week memories.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was 5 in the 80's.
Well, let me tell you, it was a lot harder to go fast back then even if you had the Chevy small block or big block, it was very costly, Ford was double the cost.
Today it take about a grand over the cost of the car/truck to get you fast enough to be sent packing.
Back then it was thousands of dollars , unless you were one of the very brave that "sent it" on kill with happy gas. For that one glory pass before you blew it up.
Sponsored