Sponsored

Quoted $920 for Lowering Spring Install and Alignment!!

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
If the shop does it right then that price is not too much. I am certain that plenty of shops will charge less, some may even do a good job. I changed 4 springs and did alignment, it took me 8 hours and I have a lift and a very nice assortment of tools.
I wouldn't do it for $920.
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
There's a difference between making some money off of me and straight up trying to rip me off. You as a forum member should be able to find and read that people pay around $300-$500. Not double that and surely not triple that :like:
So, you're well versed in the economics of running an auto repair shop? The average, properly run shop will probably no be making what they should to do that job with customer supplied parts for the price quoted if the previously mentioned book time is correct. Because of this mentality, it will only get worse. It is getting harder and harder to find good techs because consumers like you don't feel they should be paid a good wage for doing this job.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed my own springs and paid $320 for an alignment and... steering angle sensor reset ($195 + $125). I also installed the STH kit and vertical links myself, but couldn't quite pull off clocking my bushings in the garage, and for that they charged another $80, for a nice, round total of $400.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The OP's profile says he lives in California, the state with the 3rd highest auto repair rates in the county.
Someone above posted the job in question is listed at 7+ hours. Shop rates vary but if you figure a middle of the road price, say $100/hr that's over $700 right there. If you go to a shop that charges closer to the top of the range you could be at $130/hr or more. The $130 rate X 7hrs is $910.
Shop rates are meant to pay the tech, cover his benefits, shop operating expenses with a tiny bit of profit thrown in. By supplying your own parts you're denying the shop their main ability to keep their profit margin where it needs to be to survive. The shops I know of who will even consider installing customer supplied parts always charge more than their base rate. Sometimes it's a bump in the hourly rate and sometimes it's a flat fee.
If I had to guess I'd bet the shop quoted a "I don't want to do it but will for the right price " quote.
Also, in my area, almost every shop is weeks out on getting in for work. If it's the same in California why would a shop accept work that wouldn't help the bottom line when there's so much work out there that will?
What I'm curious about is why the OP hasn't called around comparing rates but instead just jumps on the internet complaining?

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed my own springs and paid $320 for an alignment and... steering angle sensor reset ($195 + $125). I also installed the STH kit and vertical links myself, but couldn't quite pull off clocking my bushings in the garage, and for that they charged another $80, for a nice, round total of $400.
I'm glad I have the DIY mentality, because I wouldn't be able to afford a lot of what I have in my life without it. I think I paid a little too much, but in the end, I had very little choice, and at least I'm satisfied with the results.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Whitemare21

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The OP's profile says he lives in California, the state with the 3rd highest auto repair rates in the county.
Someone above posted the job in question is listed at 7+ hours. Shop rates vary but if you figure a middle of the road price, say $100/hr that's over $700 right there. If you go to a shop that charges closer to the top of the range you could be at $130/hr or more. The $130 rate X 7hrs is $910.
Shop rates are meant to pay the tech, cover his benefits, shop operating expenses with a tiny bit of profit thrown in. By supplying your own parts you're denying the shop their main ability to keep their profit margin where it needs to be to survive. The shops I know of who will even consider installing customer supplied parts always charge more than their base rate. Sometimes it's a bump in the hourly rate and sometimes it's a flat fee.
If I had to guess I'd bet the shop quoted a "I don't want to do it but will for the right price " quote.
Also, in my area, almost every shop is weeks out on getting in for work. If it's the same in California why would a shop accept work that wouldn't help the bottom line when there's so much work out there that will?
What I'm curious about is why the OP hasn't called around comparing rates but instead just jumps on the internet complaining?
I would have to agree that it seemed like a “I’ll do it for the right price.” I have called around and received much lower quotes. Was just a little shocked that all :)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I do expect that to be a dealership price, just not an independent suspension shop. I have already been quoted $400 and $450 before alignment from two other shops. Like you said, I was just shocked
So I don't understand, you've already been quoted what you feel you should pay and one shop, who probably doesn't want to do it, quotes it high and you're upset? Just take it to one of the two other places.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
If I remember correctly the rear subframe has to get dropped and as others have said it calls for a ton of hours in the book.
I had FP springs installed and had the dealer do them just in case I ever have issues with the magnaride I wanted it covered under warranty.
I was just as shocked by the price initially and had him show me the times lol
Same. It was pricy, but not more than really what I expected them to say. Since I was due for an oil change/inspection the dealer tossed that in for free while I was there since I've been going to them for years. I like that I can say anything that I did not do I have paperwork showing that Ford did it.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
There are also different labor guides. Some labor times differ based on which one the shop uses.
Seems like they gave you a fair quote with the info they had.

OP
OP
Whitemare21

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
So, you're well versed in the economics of running an auto repair shop? The average, properly run shop will probably no be making what they should to do that job with customer supplied parts for the price quoted if the previously mentioned book time is correct. Because of this mentality, it will only get worse. It is getting harder and harder to find good techs because consumers like you don't feel they should be paid a good wage for doing this job.
They can charge whatever they like. Just found it strange and surprising based on the amount when compared to other shops in the area. Decided to gather some general opinion

Sponsored
OP
OP
Whitemare21

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
So I don't understand, you've already been quoted what you feel you should pay and one shop, who probably doesn't want to do it, quotes it high and you're upset? Just take it to one of the two other places.
Definitely not “upset”. Just surprised/shocked :)

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
There's a difference between making some money off of me and straight up trying to rip me off. You as a forum member should be able to find and read that people pay around $300-$500. Not double that and surely not triple that :like:
...I have to read about guys on a Harley forum complaining about
the price dealers ask to change handlebars and the like.
Most of the responses they get are; "if you can't do
the work, find a dealer or shop that can and will."

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Goes to cheap shop. Lowers car with magride. Struts start leaking. Ford denies warranty due to aftermarket springs. Has to do job over now with 400$ a piece front struts.

OP
OP
Whitemare21

Whitemare21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Igor
Vehicle(s)
Goes to cheap shop. Lowers car with magride. Struts start leaking. Ford denies warranty due to aftermarket springs. Has to do job over now with 400$ a piece front struts.
Also a very good point! Something to consider

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
...I have to read about guys on a Harley forum complaining about
the price dealers ask to change handlebars and the like.
Most of the responses they get are; "if you can't do
the work, find a dealer or shop that can and will."
Gotta admit though… the 400-500 dollars dealers charge for an oil change is absurd.
Sponsored