slider01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Hi Everyone,
I just picked up my '22 GT Convertible w/ Active Exhaust a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to figure out how the Quiet Start works. I don't really want to program it for certain times of the day, but yesterday I left early and thought I would try to set the Quiet Start feature (as a one-off). I put the car in accessory mode and scrolled to exhaust type and clicked on quiet start but then started the car, but it started in Normal exhaust.

Does the Quiet Start only work when you program for certain times of the day? Is there no way to do Quiet Start as a one off as oppose to a programmed time? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

CUL8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT vert. PP1, 401A, AE, 6spd, ESS G2/G3
I have AE in my 2020 and am familiar with what you're asking and experiencing. The only way I've found to have it start in quiet mode is for it to be scheduled. I have mine scheduled for the early am only and it does the job. I too have tried to put it in quiet before starting but found it reverts to the default or "my mode". Curious to know what others say :)

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
If you get in and decide you want to quiet start at that time.
turn on accessories
Go to quiet start.
Set for time window you are currently in (if it’s 9am set it for 8am-10am)
turn off accessories
Open door to turn off power
Turn car on, should be quiet start.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You cannot make it start in Quiet mode unless it's programmed for a certain time of day. Otherwise the car will start in Normal no matter what. Even if you turn on the accessory power first, set the exhaust mode to Quiet, then start the engine, it will instantly change to Normal.
I also need to start in Quiet from time to time, but not often or regularly enough to warrant programming it for a certain time. What I do is this. Turn on accessory power, go to the exhaust mode menu and be ready to switch to Quiet, but don't do it yet. Press the engine start button, then immediately press Up and OK on the steering wheel to switch to Quiet. I do this very quickly, while the engine is still cranking. There's just a short initial roar, which lasts half a second or so, then it's all quiet.

As an aside, I found the Quiet Start feature unreliable. It works for a while, then one morning you start the engine and have the impression that it sounds louder than it should. You open the menu and discover that you're in Normal, and that the Quiet Start option is off. It happened to me at least twice before I gave up on it and decided to switch manually on an as-needed basis.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
I would try Louk's suggestions with a small modification. When you program the time, just set it to the widest range you think you would use it, or even 24hr. Because then you can easily toggle it with the quiet start checkbox.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Like others mentioned, it has to be set according to "quiet time" while in ACC mode, then you need to power down completely and then start the car. It should start in quiet mode at that point. The power down is needed to apply it...tried doing it without powering down and she barked and shook the house.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....I don't really want to program it for certain times of the day....
Why not?

I have mine in Quiet start for the whole day.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Why not?

I have mine in Quiet start for the whole day.
I can't speak for the OP, but I don't want to do that simply because there's just one single case when I need the Quiet mode, which occurs very rarely. Namely, when I leave home early in the morning (which I seldom do). That's it. Everywhere else, and/or at any other time of day, I want the engine to burble nicely and loudly, as it's supposed to. I don't want it to sound like a Honda for a couple of seconds until I flip the drive mode switch. I want it to sound like a Mustang right away. The instances in which I need it to sound like a Honda are much fewer and rarer than the others.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I can't speak for the OP, but I don't want to do that simply because there's just one single case when I need the Quiet mode, which occurs very rarely. Namely, when I leave home early in the morning (which I seldom do). That's it. Everywhere else, and/or at any other time of day, I want the engine to burble nicely and loudly, as it's supposed to. I don't want it to sound like a Honda for a couple of seconds until I flip the drive mode switch. I want it to sound like a Mustang right away. The instances in which I need it to sound like a Honda are much fewer and rarer than the others.
It never, ever sounds like a Honda. And Mustangs aren't meant to be loud. Being loud doesn't mean it sounds good.

And the main point, is to be a mature adult that isn't an asshole to his neighbors.

Maybe you live out in the woods where you don't have any neighbors....dunno.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It never, ever sounds like a Honda.
Oh yes, in Quiet mode it does very much sound like a run-of-the-mill four-banger.

And Mustangs aren't meant to be loud. Being loud doesn't mean it sounds good.
Up to a point, it does. Being overly loud doesn't, but I wasn't talking about that.

And the main point, is to be a mature adult that isn't an asshole to his neighbors.
Do you think the Normal mode, with a completely stock exhaust, at tickover (or just barely above), during the day, means being an asshole? It's just seventy-something decibels. My neighbours' dogs bark louder than that.

Maybe you live out in the woods where you don't have any neighbors....dunno.
I do have neighbours, which is why I use the Quiet mode when I leave home at, say, 6 AM. It's just that I don't happen to leave so early very often. I usually leave after 9 AM, by which time there are more noisy things around here than my exhaust.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Oh yes, in Quiet mode it does very much sound like a run-of-the-mill four-banger.

Up to a point, it does. Being overly loud doesn't, but I wasn't talking about that.

Do you think the Normal mode, with a completely stock exhaust, at tickover (or just barely above), during the day, means being an asshole? It's just seventy-something decibels. My neighbours' dogs bark louder than that.

I do have neighbours, which is why I use the Quiet mode when I leave home at, say, 6 AM. It's just that I don't happen to leave so early very often. I usually leave after 9 AM, by which time there are more noisy things around here than my exhaust.
No, it does not sound like a 4 banger. Not at all. No V8 will ever sound like a 4 cylinder. "Sound" means one thing, and being quiet or loud another. Being quiet doesn't mean it sounds like a 4 cylinder, and an engine being loud doesn't mean it sounds like a V8. A Quiet mode AE Coyote Mustang still sounds like a V8, and a loud AM exhaust VTEC Civic still sounds like a 4-banger.

You wrote the following; "I want the engine to burble nicely and loudly". That's not "Normal" mode, that would be "Track" mode, or maybe "Sport" mode. You said you want loud, and I said that's rude to your neighbors.

You keep saying you want your car loud. You wrote you start your car in "Normal" mode, and "It's just seventy-something decibels" . But that's incorrect. "Quiet" mode starts are around 72 decibels. You state that you think it sounds like a "4-banger" or "a Honda" if it's in quiet mode. You wrote you want your car to "burble nicely and loudly, as it's supposed to". You then go on to say you flip the drive mode switch a few seconds after starting. So if you're supposedly starting in "Normal" as you claim, then you're switching to Sport or Track mode before you start driving.

So....you're not even leaving it in Normal mode (much less Quiet) while driving around your neighbors, you're straight into Sport or Track mode.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You wrote the following; "I want the engine to burble nicely and loudly". That's not "Normal" mode, that would be "Track" mode, or maybe "Sport" mode. You said you want loud, and I said that's rude to your neighbors.
To me, Normal sounds loud (enough) and burbly, as opposed to Quiet, which doesn't.

You then go on to say you flip the drive mode switch a few seconds after starting. So if you're supposedly starting in "Normal" as you claim, then you're switching to Sport or Track mode before you start driving.

So....you're not even leaving it in Normal mode (much less Quiet) while driving around your neighbors, you're straight into Sport or Track mode.
I never said any of that. That's your own interpretation of some bits and pieces of what I said.
I'm never in Sport or Track around my neighbours.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I never said any of that. That's your own interpretation of some bits and pieces of what I said.
I'm never in Sport or Track around my neighbours.
Yes, you said every part of that.

Do I really need to go back through and re-quote all of it? This is a tiring game to play. Exhausting.
Sponsored