Sponsored

Quiet Cold Start Tuning (15-17)

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have seen the thread on using the quiet start mufflers, but I want to keep my roush axleback. I'm about to get an X-Pipe, which I know will make me even more popular with the neighbors in the morning. I know that cars lately like to cook the pre-cats by running rich and dumping extra combustion heat into the exhaust by modifying the LSA of the cams. While this is for a decent reason, I don't like it because it is stupid loud.

I know that cars need special cold-start routines because cars won't start at stoich, but I know there has got to be a way to run less rich, and tighten up the LSA, and lower the RPMs, and quiet it down.

I already emailed Bama and they told me they can't/won't do it. Does any other tuner offer something like this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Lund can. It's the massive spark retard that makes it so loud. E85 is a bit more tame fwiw.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I have seen the thread on using the quiet start mufflers, but I want to keep my roush axleback. I'm about to get an X-Pipe, which I know will make me even more popular with the neighbors in the morning. I know that cars lately like to cook the pre-cats by running rich and dumping extra combustion heat into the exhaust by modifying the LSA of the cams. While this is for a decent reason, I don't like it because it is stupid loud.

I know that cars need special cold-start routines because cars won't start at stoich, but I know there has got to be a way to run less rich, and tighten up the LSA, and lower the RPMs, and quiet it down.

I already emailed Bama and they told me they can't/won't do it. Does any other tuner offer something like this?

Thanks!
Just throwing this out there, resonators helped me out a lot. I started another thread in this section about it. It's worth a try.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Agreed flex fuel is more tame. Shaun at AED toned mine down as much as he was willing as he cited issues with going to far. I know Lund does too. Personally I am adding a pair of Vibrants into my ARH catted LTH to Corsa Extreme setup to tame it some more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My stock resonators right now are louder than I want, but I know it's going to be even louder with an X-pipe. I want the raspy crackle (Once I'm out of the neighborhood). I ran my SRT4 with A cat and a side exit 3" exhaust. I loved it, but it was before they had loud cold starts. I had a BMW 135 that also made a ridiculous racket with the performance exhaust and a tune, but once warmed up, it sounded good.

I know I'm in the minority here though, a lot of people like it crazy loud at startup, including me when I was in my late teens's/early 20's. Now the neighbors don't call the cops on my dad, they call them on me!

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I had the same issue. Roush/X-pipe that was super loud during cold starts, especially in the winter. I want to keep my warranty so a tune wasn't an option, but I made a set of PVC mufflers that fit on the exhaust tips. I put them on before I start my car, start it up, let it idle down for a minute or two, then take them off. It knocks the sound down a lot, I would say by 75% on cold starts.

OP
OP
CrashOverride

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That is a great idea! I'm thinking about some sort of an electric cutout with holes drilled through the butterfly (enough to not stall during the cold start). Kind of old school, but yet pretty much what most of the sound management stuff does.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
Check out the solution @msweet put together

Alright, I have bought the equipment. 100mm adjustable rubber connector into 100mm pvc pipe with a step down pipe at the end. Plan on putting either 90mm foam plugs in the middle of the pipe (drill through holes) or wrap the inside with foam insulation. Will test both methods.

Baseline test with a free iPhone app had the cold start at 103dB... (edit: with my phone on the ground about a foot away from the exhaust tip)
If you search for that thread there are details and sound clips.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
That is pretty awesome, just read through the thread and listened to the sound clips.
Ya not pretty but seems very effective and if it's an inside garage solution who cares what it looks like lol.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
They work great. I made a slightly modified version of msweet's design and use it everyday. You only have them on for a short period of time so it really doesn't matter how they look.
Sponsored