Quick question about IAT's and heatsoak

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So after doing some pulls/datalogging today, I noticed that my IAT's would skyrocket after sitting the car for 2-3 minutes (which is expected, but I was kind of suprised to see the IATs around 173 degrees on a 82 degree day). Once the car started moving the temperatures would obviously drop back down within 10 degrees of ambient temperature, but I was wondering if this number looks high to anyone? At what temperature can heak soak begin to degrade the paint on your hood?

Also the cylinder head temperature--is this high, or within a normal range?

I also live in Florida, so the heat and humidity is definitely a factor in these numbers

20230410_145801.jpg
Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Yeah not good at all! I don’t think I ever saw iat or iat2’s that high when I had my double oven (Roush SCer) on the car during the hottest parts of summer here in FL even after back to back pulls.

OP
OP
MurphGT

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah not good at all! I don’t think I ever saw iat or iat2’s that high when I had my double oven (Roush SCer) on the car during the hottest parts of summer here in FL even after back to back pulls.
dang. I'm NA too.

All I have is a Roush CAI and roush catback exhaust system. The only thing I changed today was going from stock tune to a Lund 93 octane tune. I might reflash back to stock tommorow and do some testing to see if the tune is maybe causing it?

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
My gt350 Cai will go into the 150s idling at a drive through, even now at 80 ish ambient, then goes back down to with 8 degrees of ambient

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
dang. I'm NA too.

All I have is a Roush CAI and roush catback exhaust system. The only thing I changed today was going from stock tune to a Lund 93 octane tune. I might reflash back to stock tommorow and do some testing to see if the tune is maybe causing it?
Might be a good idea but hopefully some others will chime in with opinions also. Haven’t seen n/a since I had 500 miles on the car so.. tune could definitely be the culprit thou.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Remember that it’s not just the 80*. The asphalt will radiate about 140*s. When you’re sitting still after a pull you’ll have the engine heat radiating and you’ll also have the heat coming off the asphalt radiating up and through your engine. So there might be your reason for the high IATs.

OP
OP
MurphGT

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My gt350 Cai will go into the 150s idling at a drive through, even now at 80 ish ambient, then goes back down to with 8 degrees of ambient
This makes me a feel a little better about it. Are you boosted by chance?

I'm hoping more people chime in.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
This makes me a feel a little better about it. Are you boosted by chance?

I'm hoping more people chime in.
Currently NA with a reiche 170 t-stat

Idle I don't worry much, if I were moving and it stayed there, yeah.

Bigred911s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big Red
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Currently NA with a reiche 170 t-stat

Idle I don't worry much, if I were moving and it stayed there, yeah.
I’m moving to Fl also. Curious how well the 170deg therm keeps the coolant temp lower than stock? Is it worth swiping to the 170? Thanks

Sponsored

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
this is why i wouldn't run open air intake on these cars. the stock box is really nice.
i wonder how effective adding heat shielding to it would be.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Works pretty well. I added heat shielding and made a cover and it is just slightly worse than the stocker sitting in traffic or drive throughs. I spend some time in FL every summer the 170 stat keeps my CHT's right at 200.

OP
OP
MurphGT

MurphGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Murph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
this is why i wouldn't run open air intake on these cars. the stock box is really nice.
I have a closed box intake, which makes it even more confusing why the IATs are so ridiculously high

I'll probably look into some heat shields.

20230410_124655.jpg

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
ya think it might have something to do with your MAF sensor (which contains your IAT sensor) being like 2 inches from your radiator now with a whole bunch of plastic surrounding it now?

yours is where the green dot is. this is stock, the blue dot.
red lines are radiant heat.
1681178786264.png

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
ya think it might have something to do with your MAF sensor (which contains your IAT sensor) being like 2 inches from your radiator now with a whole bunch of plastic surrounding it now?

yours is where the green dot is. this is stock, the blue dot.
red lines are radiant heat.
1681178786264.png
The transition point from the box to the inlet tube isn't sealed. It's not as bad as the 13/14 Shelby's but hot idle air will get in, plus the heat from under the hood and the IATs will skyrocket. The IAT1 will come down to ambient when you move. The IAT2s will usually be 20 to 30 hotter. Under long periods of boost the IAT2s will get hottest than that and timing will get pulled.
Sponsored