Sponsored

Questions on TPMS's for new wheels.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Hello, folks, For the wheels I ordered, I was not going to use TPMS's, but now I would like to. Where is the best place to buy these? And once I get them, how is it a person gets them acquainted with the car? This is just for summer, then in the fall, when I put the stock wheels back on will the car recognize them? Can our cars recognize 2 different sets of wheels? I have not done this before, hence the questions, plus I like how our cars show each tire's air pressure in the display! Thanks, guys!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
With Ford sensors (available from one of the online Ford dealership parts departments such as Levittown Ford, etc), chances are they'll sync up on their own when you switch wheels with no extra steps.

If you keep the other set of wheels next to the car in the garage, or if you use aftermarket compatible TPMS sensors, there's a chance they won't automatically update. Most people don't seem to have this problem, but I sure did with aftermarket TPMS sensors. In that situation, I'd recommend getting the ~$30 Ford TPMS sync tool online (ebay?). It only takes about a minute to sync the wheels with that tool, and it happens right when you do it, no waiting and wondering if the TPMS is reading stale settings off your previous wheels. It can take the car as many as 120 miles to throw a code if it's got stale data and not actually synced to the current wheels under the car.

The procedure for putting the car in TPMS training mode (if you've got the tool in hand and are ready to use it) involves pressing the brake pedal and cycling the power. I got some wrong info about using the switches next to the start button, but that's a false positive on my car. it says its in training mode but won't train, so look for the brake + power button procedure.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Right, I have had wheels not sync when the old wheels were stored near by. Put the car in the front garage, and the tires in the detached garage eliminated the problem. And once they sync, they don't like get confused when the other set is close by.

Naturally my idiot dealer was like, you need to pay us $500 to replace all the sensors.

There are also TPS tools supposed to help sync them, but I have never used them.

I agree, TPS systems that actually display pressure by tire (like the Mustang) are WAY more useful than dumber systems. My Focus ST will tell me a tire is low, but that it. It doesn't even tell me which tire is low. So not worth paying extra for sensors on the autocross wheels for it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.tpms.com/Default.asp
The car doesn't recognnized 'sets' of wheels. It recognizes all individual sensors within RF proximity. Simply driving off for a mile or two is generally sufficient to retrain the computer into updating it's table of what sensors it should know about, which corner they are mounted on, and to interrogate.

OP
OP
Triton54

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Wow! thank you to all!!!
Sponsored