Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Your LTR, or heat exchanger has nothing to do with CHT- cylinder head temperature. IAT2 is what you want to monitor. The post blower air temp. CHT is meaningless, does not measure how well your intercooler system is working.
I do not know what iat2s were before the LTR, but I drive a 54 mile commute 3 days a week and have seen iat2's average 120-130 in 95-100 degree florida heat. I had a noticeable reduction in power prior to the new LTR, but the guys at VMP may have had something to do with that as well... ;)

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know what iat2s were before the LTR, but I drive a 54 mile commute 3 days a week and have seen iat2's average 120-130 in 95-100 degree florida heat. I had a noticeable reduction in power prior to the new LTR, but the guys at VMP may have had something to do with that as well... ;)
Guys at vmp? You have a custom tune?

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Your LTR, or heat exchanger has nothing to do with CHT- cylinder head temperature. IAT2 is what you want to monitor. The post blower air temp. CHT is meaningless, does not measure how well your intercooler system is working.
Furthermore, ambient temperature is HUGE factor as to how well LTR will help with cooling the Intercooler. Looks like you ā€Jmtoastā€ live in Michigan. Iā€™m envious right now of your weather (high of 75?) I did some logging last night and had ambient temps of 90 degrees here in Florida.

Iā€™m glad you are pleased with your setup and it gives you what you need. Iā€™ll probably be happy again once a ā€œso called winterā€ hits for me and I have weather like you have right now. For now I have to work with almost year round weather that is good for racing but not weather for making power.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Its funny coyote car guy had 160+ IATS in FL running a Whipple Stage 1 Kit with their tuning, it would drop as he moved away from a light but it would climb FAST again as he stopped.

My point is if u live in those kinda climates all the top mount blower kits are going to suffer..coyote car guy is installing a killer chiller its so bad, I live in PA and it gets hot but fall, winter and spring will be cool and I suspect a Roush will do just fine, hell who hot laps a blower car?

Not me, ever....

Last edited:

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
Its funny coyote car guy had 160+ IATS in FL running a Whipple Stage 1 Kit with their tuning, it would drop as he moved away from a light but it would climb again as he stopped.
My point is if u live in those kinda climates all the top mount blower kits are going to suffer..oyote car guy is installing a killer chiller its so bad, I like in PA and it gets hot but fall, winter and spring will be cool and I suspect a Roush will do just fine, hell who hot laps a blower car?

Not me, ever....
I hot lapped my 2015 w/Roush kit 10 passes back to back to back..... never really had an issue. As for my current iat2's, 150 is the hottest I've seen it get sitting in the sun in traffic idling.

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Its funny coyote car guy had 160+ IATS in FL running a Whipple Stage 1 Kit with their tuning, it would drop as he moved away from a light but it would climb again as he stopped.
My point is if u live in those kinda climates all the top mount blower kits are going to suffer..oyote car guy is installing a killer chiller its so bad, I like in PA and it gets hot but fall, winter and spring will be cool and I suspect a Roush will do just fine, hell who hot laps a blower car?

Not me, ever....
You are missing the point. Iā€™ve been to the track with my car about a half a dozen times with about 25 passes since February ā€˜19. Iā€™ve hot lapped my car once just to see what it would do, the results were not great as expected. But for an example: 85 ambient temp before the burnout Intercooler water temp is 45 degrees After burnout water temp is at 55 and by the end of the run itā€™s 70 degrees! Thatā€™s with a 4 gallon insulated aluminum reservoir with ice in the trunk. I wish I studied thermodynamics more, but I would estimate the Intercooler has a high amount of btu heat itā€™s trying to remove. Most of my logs show 135 to 140 IAT2 (charge air) temps at the traps. This is too high in my opinion. And itā€™s independent of water temperature. Itā€™s directly related to an undersized Intercooler in relation to the size of the supercharger. And a larger LTR ainā€™t gonna fix that.

The point is that almost every other aftermarket and factory PD blower setup has an Intercooler that is twice the size of the roushā€™s for same power expectations. Seemed like roush just carried over previous generations engineering rather than a complete redesign.

Sorry to be negative, but If I had the same info as I have now the Roush supercharger would have been my last choice for my goals. I was sucked into the warranty and a ford backed product. But like beating a dead horse, if all you want is a fun car with good drivability and decent power gains the roush is the way to go!

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You are missing the point. Iā€™ve been to the track with my car about a half a dozen times with about 25 passes since February ā€˜19. Iā€™ve hot lapped my car once just to see what it would do, the results were not great as expected. But for an example: 85 ambient temp before the burnout Intercooler water temp is 45 degrees After burnout water temp is at 55 and by the end of the run itā€™s 70 degrees! Thatā€™s with a 4 gallon insulated aluminum reservoir with ice in the trunk. I wish I studied thermodynamics more, but I would estimate the Intercooler has a high amount of btu heat itā€™s trying to remove. Most of my logs show 135 to 140 IAT2 (charge air) temps at the traps. This is too high in my opinion. And itā€™s independent of water temperature. Itā€™s directly related to an undersized Intercooler in relation to the size of the supercharger. And a larger LTR ainā€™t gonna fix that.

The point is that almost every other aftermarket and factory PD blower setup has an Intercooler that is twice the size of the roushā€™s for same power expectations. Seemed like roush just carried over previous generations engineering rather than a complete redesign.

Sorry to be negative, but If I had the same info as I have now the Roush supercharger would have been my last choice for my goals. I was sucked into the warranty and a ford backed product. But like beating a dead horse, if all you want is a fun car with good drivability and decent power gains the roush is the way to go!

Ok fair enough but letā€™s say u r an old drag racer like me, you let the car cool off 25m at the track then you and buddy roll it up to the starting line and then light it, go in and do your burn out stege, race the car

U canā€™t tell me the IATS are gonna skyrocket that way, I would think it would rise but iā€™m sure easy 10ā€™s on a DR at Atco would very easy.

Have u ever splashed it with MS109 or Boostsne just for some safety?

Curious as to what u ran, on the stock kit on a DR in cool weather

Thanks for the info

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 2019 Ford Raptor 2018 Cadillac Escalade
My previous tune was done in mid June of 2019 it was the most recent tune until this new release in August. The weather has cooled down so itā€™s probably skewing my impression of the difference but it feels way stronger with way less heat soak feel then before. According to Roush, I already had the new updated heat exchanger in my kit. I would like to measure it to confirm because I did feel like it was heat soaking on the really hot days like 80 to 100 this summer. I literally canā€™t grab full throttle in 2nd or 3rd on the boil with out it busting loose. This summer when it was hot and the tires where heated up it would pull a hard roll on in 2nd with minimal tire slip. My guess is this tune pulls less timing when IATā€™s are high then my original tune. Iā€™m very pleased with the power of the car at this point. My only complaint is lack of smoothness when the car is cold, for the 1st minute or 2 of driving, itā€™s not bad but not perfect. As soon as it warms up at all itā€™s buttery smooth so I canā€™t really complain. Now I need bigger tires lol.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I just got my car back with the new TB, LTR and tune installed today. I will dyno and track it soon but there *was* a Hellcat that tried to instigate a 30mph roll race with me. He turned down a side road when my car pulled on him by a car and he couldn't hang :p

I live in AZ. With the old hardware I heatsoaked at the dragstrip very easily. We shall find out in less than 2 weeks what she's like now.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
My previous tune was done in mid June of 2019 it was the most recent tune until this new release in August. The weather has cooled down so itā€™s probably skewing my impression of the difference but it feels way stronger with way less heat soak feel then before. According to Roush, I already had the new updated heat exchanger in my kit. I would like to measure it to confirm because I did feel like it was heat soaking on the really hot days like 80 to 100 this summer. I literally canā€™t grab full throttle in 2nd or 3rd on the boil with out it busting loose. This summer when it was hot and the tires where heated up it would pull a hard roll on in 2nd with minimal tire slip. My guess is this tune pulls less timing when IATā€™s are high then my original tune. Iā€™m very pleased with the power of the car at this point. My only complaint is lack of smoothness when the car is cold, for the 1st minute or 2 of driving, itā€™s not bad but not perfect. As soon as it warms up at all itā€™s buttery smooth so I canā€™t really complain. Now I need bigger tires lol.
That's good news. I have the same tune you had. Was it not smooth before at startup/ Also have you done any pulls past 125mph?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Dang....I had about convinced myself to go Whipple but I am impressed with the way Roush is providing these upgrades. I would really like to see some quarter mile results after the latest upgrades are installed.

Last edited:

#1Roadking

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 2019 Ford Raptor 2018 Cadillac Escalade
It was about the same on start up. Iā€™ve only done pulls up to 120 or so.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone heard any facts or rumors of Roush introducing a Phase 2 for 2018+ models?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone heard any facts or rumors of Roush introducing a Phase 2 for 2018+ models?
Yes.. according to the Roush agent I spoke to theyā€™re releasing a Phase 2. Didnā€™t say when but he indicated it would be pretty soon.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yes.. according to the Roush agent I spoke to theyā€™re releasing a Phase 2. Didnā€™t say when but he indicated it would be pretty soon.
That is good news. With competitors like Edelbrock and Whipple offering their stage 2 kits, it would be nice if Roush does the same...and make an upgrade kit for those who already have Phase 1.

I really like the idea of a Roush kit due to the affiliation with Ford.