Question for guys who actually have the the Roush Kit

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R / 2021 Shelby GT500
So what’s the opinion on the stage 2 Roush? Is it just for the guys wanting a warranty? If a person was wanting to buy a car and put a blower on it is this still the best option because of warranty. Or should they wait till warranty runs out and get a different blower?
Knowing what is out there now would any of you with the Roush go to a different kit?
That is a very loaded question, but a good one nonetheless.

1. The "warranty" from Roush is nice, but it has a lot of teeth. I have heard indirect stories about customers' Roush supercharger warranty claims being denied. There are numerous YouTube vids on this. So I suppose one must read the fine print and understand what is and is not covered with the warranty.

2. There are a lot of favorable attributes on the Roush unit - consistent, reliable, power comes on smooth in the power band versus the "hard hit" with some other blowers, it produces very strong torque starting on the bottom-end RPM range (actually better RWTQ than many other PD blowers). Palm Beach Dyno had a lot of compliments on the Roush torque levels.

3. Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with a different PD option, likely twin screw (KB or Whipple) with better cooling equipment to reduce intake temps, and produce better power. I just had a recent post on this subject and got tons of feedback from other members on the cooling challenges with the Roush TVS blower. Not saying this is happening to everyone, but seems to happening to enough Roush TVS SC owners that they needed to invest in significant cooling upgrades to make meaningfully more RWHP on the Roush unit. I am personally debating the VMP triple pass heat exchanger versus the Killer Chiller. Am holding off for a little bit to evaluate diagnostics on my car (it just got finished at the race / performance shop with numerous power mods).

4. Has the Ford manufacturers warranty stopped many GT500 owners from modifying their brand new cars right after they buy them? I don't believe so.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
So what’s the opinion on the stage 2 Roush? Is it just for the guys wanting a warranty? If a person was wanting to buy a car and put a blower on it is this still the best option because of warranty. Or should they wait till warranty runs out and get a different blower?
Knowing what is out there now would any of you with the Roush go to a different kit?
It really depends upon your goals. If you are the type that wants to continue with mods in search of quicker and quicker times at the drag strip, you are probably better off with a different kit. The Roush design lacks the ultimate potential of some other kits. I see no real point of a Roush kit if you immediately start modding it. Just buy a Whipple or Edelbrock tuner kit to begin with where you can choose the TB, injectors, tune, etc.

The benefits of the Roush with its stock tune is excellent drivability, proven reliability, strong low end torque and no additional NVH. On a good tire, with a good launch in decent air, they will run in the high 10s in the quarter with minimal risk of breakage and they will do it consistently. In my area, it would be difficult to use more performance than that on the street.

I have found Roush service to be excellent. I personally like the affiliation with Ford Performance and the simplicity of the installation, tuning and warranty all by my Ford dealer. Since the Roush tune does not raise the rpm, upgraded opg/cs is unnecessary. Also, in my area, the installed price was far less than a Whipple or Edelbrock.

I knew exactly what I wanted....perfect drivability and performance competitive with stock Hellcats, ZL1s and GT500s but for far lower cost than those. I got precisely what I was looking for. If my goal had been a 9 second race car, I would have gotten something different.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This car will never see a drag strip. I also don’t want to be beat e85 tuned mustangs either. Don’t have to be the fastest but would like to hold its own with most cars if I happen to run into them on my trips to Mexico.
The only way I would put a supercharger on the new car is with the added warranty of kits that are available. Of these kits with the warranty the Roush seems to have better power, better drivability, better customer service than the others from what I’ve seen and read.
After the warranty is up all I would likely do is get off the Roush tune to a custom tune and be done.

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
This car will never see a drag strip. I also don’t want to be beat e85 tuned mustangs either. Don’t have to be the fastest but would like to hold its own with most cars if I happen to run into them on my trips to Mexico.
The only way I would put a supercharger on the new car is with the added warranty of kits that are available. Of these kits with the warranty the Roush seems to have better power, better drivability, better customer service than the others from what I’ve seen and read.
After the warranty is up all I would likely do is get off the Roush tune to a custom tune and be done.
100% the Roush kit is for you then.

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Based on my very recent experience, there is not as much extra power to be gained from a custom tune versus the Roush factory tune. I went from say Phase II Rouse base rwhp of 630 to 676 rwhp (mustang dyno) with the combo of 2.8" pulley, long-tube headers, and custom tune. The custom tune did make some improvements throughout the entirety of the power band. Power now peaks at 7200 rmp and holds steady to 7500, versus the Roush tune that I believe cuts off at 6500 rpm. These numbers are on 93 octane. I talked with the tuner Friday and I committing to higher-octane race gas for the life of the car and will make adjustments to the tune / timing accordingly. This should be done this week (anxious to get the car back). So maybe I'll see 685 rwhp after the race gas addition. I am likely foregoing say 30 or more rwhp by not upgrading the intake cooling at this time. Have to get those intake temps down a bit.

Fx2beast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford f150 2019 mustang gt
I would probably have went a different route if I knew I was going to go all out. But idk man only other route I would have went is Whipple. Either way I'm over 700 with the roush to the wheels. Fuel system and switching to e85 I could easily be seeing 800+

Fx2beast

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 ford f150 2019 mustang gt
Based on my very recent experience, there is not as much extra power to be gained from a custom tune versus the Roush factory tune. I went from say Phase II Rouse base rwhp of 630 to 676 rwhp (mustang dyno) with the combo of 2.8" pulley, long-tube headers, and custom tune. The custom tune did make some improvements throughout the entirety of the power band. Power now peaks at 7200 rmp and holds steady to 7500, versus the Roush tune that I believe cuts off at 6500 rpm. These numbers are on 93 octane. I talked with the tuner Friday and I committing to higher-octane race gas for the life of the car and will make adjustments to the tune / timing accordingly. This should be done this week (anxious to get the car back). So maybe I'll see 685 rwhp after the race gas addition. I am likely foregoing say 30 or more rwhp by not upgrading the intake cooling at this time. Have to get those intake temps down a bit.
Wow that's crazy! I'll be on the dyno soon. Let's see if I get my heart broken. Hoping 700 at least. Your on a mustang dyno

Azul Assasin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list
Well for me warranty was a small part of it. I like that this blower doesn't have a ridiculous whine! I also am only building a street car. I go to the track maybe a couple times a year. Mine dynoed at 664 whp and my goal is to make 700-750 whp. I don't think it would be usable on the street above that. To me this kit pulls hard and it will give you a smile.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Thanks for the input I think for a nice weather car that will never see a track the Roush will work for me. Again the only way I could justify a supercharger on a new car is to have warranty.

AgSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Wow that's crazy! I'll be on the dyno soon. Let's see if I get my heart broken. Hoping 700 at least. Your on a mustang dyno
Yes mustang dyno.

Not sure how / why you are expecting 700 rwhp on a factory Roush Phase I or Phase II supercharger kit. Roush 2.65L Phase II is rated at 750 crank hp, and estimating driveline loss of say 15-18%, expected rwhp would be in the range of 615-637.

I expected over 700 rwhp with my various power mods - 2.8" pulley, VMP boost-a-pump, long tube headers, and custom tune. It was not the case - on a mustang dyno. Again, after the addition of race gas and some tweaks to the tune, I'm thinking rwhp will be around 685. That's somewhere around 805-835 crank hp.

Not sure how much power the gen III coyote factory internals can handle before one needs to consider a forged rotating assembly. But that is only the beginning if you are searching for big power - the list includes - but not limited to - cooling, transmission, driveshaft, half shafts, rear suspension, etc.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input I think for a nice weather car that will never see a track the Roush will work for me. Again the only way I could justify a supercharger on a new car is to have warranty.
I would have a hard time giving up a powertrain warranty on a new car. My warranty ends soon but I did get a new IC pump, a new fuel pump and two tune updates while under the Roush warranty.

Prior to getting the SC, I got a transmission software update, a new instrument cluster and a new driveshaft under the Ford warranty. If I had gotten a non-warranty SC when the car was new, the driveshaft would likely have been on my own dime.....pretty spendy.

jhunt47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Y
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I would have a hard time giving up a powertrain warranty on a new car. My warranty ends soon but I did get a new IC pump, a new fuel pump and two tune updates while under the Roush warranty.

Prior to getting the SC, I got a transmission software update, a new instrument cluster and a new driveshaft under the Ford warranty. If I had gotten a non-warranty SC when the car was new, the driveshaft would likely have been on my own dime.....pretty spendy.
Yeah that’s the things I’m afraid of and that’s why my choice is so limited on the supercharger. It’s either get this now and hopefully enjoy it for a few years or wait till the warranty runs out and then do something different. I’m selling my all stock 2018 a10 at the moment and sometimes when I would drive it seemed liked it had plenty of power. So I’m hoping the Roush will be more than enough to make it enjoyable.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s the things I’m afraid of and that’s why my choice is so limited on the supercharger. It’s either get this now and hopefully enjoy it for a few years or wait till the warranty runs out and then do something different. I’m selling my all stock 2018 a10 at the moment and sometimes when I would drive it seemed liked it had plenty of power. So I’m hoping the Roush will be more than enough to make it enjoyable.
The Roush will break normal street tires loose on dry pavement at about any speed under 60 mph. I think you will find the power to be adequate.