Sponsored

Question about oil changes (I know I know -__-)

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My 15 GT is new to me. Has about 41k on the odo and I am due for an oil change (35% left on oil life). I bought the car used so I have no idea what was run prior. I've always personally run Full Synethic Mobil 1. I guess just looking for advice if I should just go Ford Motocraft synethic blend like the manual suggest or go Mobil 1 Full synethic.

Thoughts/Concerns/quesstions/advice appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Mobil 1 FS or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Either one will be good for your car.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Mobil 1 FS or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Either one will be good for your car.
Do you think I should do a slow transition of mxing the oils or just go straight to a full 8 of full synethic.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Since you don't know what is in it now, I don't see how you could refill with a mixture of both. Only way to mix would be to drain half and top off with chosen syn; but why leave worn/dirty oil in?

I'd drain the old and put the chosen oil in even if I knew what was in it before.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Castrol Edge Extended Performance.
This is about as top shelf as it gets.
Stuff is now rated at 20,000 mile OCI.
Available everywhere.
WalMart’s price can’t be beat on the 5 qt. jugs.

Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
If you have used Mobil1 in the past and are happy with it, then stay with it. I have used it ever since it was put on the market, and it has always performed well for me. One car had over 200k miles on it and ran great. No oil consumption at all.

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Do you think I should do a slow transition of mxing the oils or just go straight to a full 8 of full synethic.
The factory oil is a full synthetic. If you want some factory equivalent alternative oils, look in the manual. One of them is Mobil 1 extended performance. I dont remember the others.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you have a few days, this has some pretty good info: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

There is a section in there regarding 5w-20 v. 5w-30. The author concludes that 5w-30 is a superior oil. Other than the self-professed greatness, I see no actual credentials on the guy, so take it as you will. I let the viscosity numbers help me make up my mind.

I was running 0w-40, but I've decided I'm going to run 5w-30 in all of my vehicles even though they are all spec'd for 5w-20. There are also wear/viscosity data. Not that it is the most scientific, there is a channel on YouTube "Project Farm" where he tested a bunch of oils. Amsoil was the best, but Pennzoil Platinum Ultra was next best. That being said, if it's full synthetic and on sale, then I buy it. I would argue that changing your oil more frequently using lesser oil is better than changing your oil infrequently using a superior oil. I have no scientific reference for it though, other than oils do get acidic over time, and the filter itself will flow less volume as it's pleats get saturated with wear/dirt particulates.

Contrary to popular belief, the engine doesn't care what you throw in it. It has to be that way, otherwise every time you changed the oil, if you didn't get the same brand and viscosity, things would break. Because there is no way to get all oil out of engines, the formulations have to account for "cross contamination". LOL I'm getting ready to do an oil change using the last of a bunch of different manufacturer and viscosity oils.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
The motorcraft oil is a synthetic blend. I ran my Ford truck on the 5w20 which it came with for 120,000 miles, then tore it down to add some forged goodies. It was supercharged and the bottom end looked great. I did change every 5K miles, easy to remember, and bought at Walmart for about $19 for 5qt container. With 19GT, hoping to go with motocraft as well. I have several Fords that use same oil, and going to move up to 5w30 since its recommended for track use and its whats in my wifes ecoboost Edge. Nothing wrong with mobile 1, but the motorcraft oil is fine for DD, then it's all down to cost. If I had to buy oil directly from Ford, i would compare costs and might change.

Sponsored

sam97mt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
Ford’s Windsor assembled Coyote 5.0 is factory filled with Full Synthetic 5W-20 and not Simi-Synthetic 5W-20 ?
You're right. I confused the Mustang with my Flex. The 3.5EB in my Flex comes with full syn. I run 5W-30 full syn in both cars since thats what the Flex takes and its easier than buying two different oils.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Looks like all the Ecoboost in the Ford Edge (2.0, 2.7, 3.5) call out 5w30 synthetic blend, even the 2.3 EB Mustang does. Mustang EB does however call out full synthetic for track use. Again, if i had to pay dealer price for motorcraft oil, i probably would reconsider ither brands, unless i tracked alot.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I won't be tracking it anytime soon or ever probably. Aggressive driving on the roads yes. However, I think I am going to stick with what the manual says.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
If you stick with Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 or 5w30, look into Walmart.:thumbsup:

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you stick with Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w20 or 5w30, look into Walmart.:thumbsup:

Isn't it cheaper to just have the dealer do it? I see "the works" package is like 50-60$ from my local dealer. Just looking on walmarts site. it's about 60$ for just the oil not including the filter.
Sponsored