Sponsored

Question about adding coolant after draining the system

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I had to drain the fluids in my car for my latest project, and I noticed something when I filled the coolant last night. I had some bottles of the premixed Ford stuff, and when I put it in the overflow tank, it just sat there until I started the car. Is that normal? I don't remember that happening the last time I drained and filled the coolant. I was pretty sure it moved and started filling more that just the overflow tank when I put it in last time because I immediately heard a leak while the car was off. The car is leaking coolant again this time, but I have no idea if that's related to the coolant not moving from the tank. I need to take a look, but I'm too damn tired to do it right now. Anyway, if anyone remembers what the coolant did in their system when filling it, please let me know. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

JakeW1990

'JSW90'
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th Anniversary Edition
I haven't looked into the cooling system on these cars yet, but the other cars I've owned, the reservoir tank is the last piece you fill. You find the radiator cap, remove it and fill the system that way. Start the car with the cap off and once the thermostat reaches the operating temperature, the water pump will start flowing the coolant through the system and pushing out *MOST* of the air. You'll need to look up how much the vehicle actually holds (coolant capacity) and go from there. If it calls for 2 gallons and you've only put 1/4 gallon in the reservoir tank- it's not right. Again, S550 coolant fill procedure may be different - hell, just found out you can't bleed the transmission like the old fashion way. It's a self contained system that bleeds itself....:crazy: