question about 1/4 mile racing

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
How much road do you need to bring the car to a complete stop after going thru the traps?
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The nice tracks will give you at least a 1/4 mile run off. Some of the jinky tracks make due with an 1/8. Where ya going? Island raceway.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The brakes on our Mustangs are pretty good. When I was drag racing my Lincoln MKS which would only reach around 109 MPH in the quarter, I would have the brakes almost smoking to get it slowed down for the turn-around. With my Mustang, which will do 119 MPH in the quarter, getting slowed down is a non-event.

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Thank all of you for the info, but because I'm a novice,( not saying I would consider opening it up on a public road) I want to know in actual distance, like, do I need an add'l 1/2 mile to stop? More? Less? There's an airstrip around here who, rumor has it, opens it up once a year to cars. But I wouldn't be comfortable unless I knew the limits. The airstrip is in Lincoln Park, for those of you in Jersey.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
The nice tracks will give you at least a 1/4 mile run off. Some of the jinky tracks make due with an 1/8. Where ya going? Island raceway.
Yes, Island is the closest. So you're saying an add'l 1/4 mile would be safe?

OP
OP
rocky5517

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Should have read Bluebeastsrt's post before I wrote my response, but thanks guys.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Drag strips are full of cars much faster and with worse brakes to your GT. Nothing to worry about, there is plenty of road left to stop. If you feel nervous at first, don’t go full on the first runs, maybe get the car up to 80 mph and cross the finish line at that speed to see how far you have left

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You won't have any issues. The track I first ran my car at was a bit sketchy and had a pretty short and rough runoff area - maybe a little over 1/8th mile - followed by probably about 300' of gravel. My car was completely stock then - a non-PP GT (no Brembos). No issues at all, was trapping at 111mph. I've been back since I put the blower on, still good at 128.
Sponsored