QA1 Carbon Driveshaft

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sorry to see that. I can only imagine that you had quite a wait to get it too. That’s crazy that they didn’t do a better job of packaging the driveshaft. I though most ds manufacturers shipped them inside of a super thick round cardboard tube that was almost indestructible and then put that inside of a box like the one yours came in for extra protection. Apparently, some manufacturers are doing things on the cheap, although what they charge for the product isn’t cheap.

Can the damaged adapter be replaced? If so, hopefully you can get them to do rush shipping of a new one to you since they should Have packed it in a way to prevent that. Then again, I wonder if the banging it took could have also compromised the carbon fiber. Maybe it’s best to just ship the whole thing back and request a refund.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I paid extra for the SFI approved driveshaft, so it's been calibrated/tested, I also won't know whether the carbon itself has been weakened until it shatters.

20210910_135845.jpg

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
tbh I'd be returning that as i wouldn't want to run the risk of vibration or damned thing shattering :( That's heart-breaking esp after a long wait and extra monies paid.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
CJPP are speaking to QA1 to see if it's still usable, I think they want to try to offer replacement parts and a partial refund. I'll be wanting a full replacement or it's getting returned, I suspect the manufacturers warranty may also now be void too.

Sponsored

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Hi Mate that is just disgraceful. I have exactly the same drive shaft (admittedly through an Australian distributor who did QA on the shaft before delivery) and the component was in no way damaged. That has to be a full refund or replacement at manufacturer's expense. Without trying to rub salt into the wound - it really is a remarkably worthwhile upgrade.

There were a couple of UK owners who actually went through The Australian distributor (American Speed) to get components (ARH headers as an example) and they had a better experience than CJPP. And with the GBP worth about twice the AUD at the moment it might not be a bad option. I've just checked their site and all are available to order - on back order. Fred (yes his real name) is a great guy to deal with. Americanspeed.com.au.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers

Paul

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't really that well packaged either

20210910_161640.jpg

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I think it's fine to install. The dented part sits inside the diff pinion flange so won't really have any issues with balancing. Just file it with a fine file if you need to and you will be fine.

Id be over the moon if it came like this, 100% useable and could potentially get a good amount of refund or even for free!

Install it and send it.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So the dented part is fixed in place and won't cause issues filed down but it would if it was replaced. Would you not be worried the carbon has been weakened by the impact of being dropped ?

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the dented part is fixed in place and won't cause issues filed down but it would if it was replaced. Would you not be worried the carbon has been weakened by the impact of being dropped ?
Yes. If the part is replaced, then the balancing you have paid for won't really be worth much. Keeping what you have is your best bet.

Check out my install video of the DSS drive shaft. Fast forward to have a look at the diff pinion. It will literally sit inside it and the diff pinion flange will over lap it externally. The dss had an adapter that was installed inside the pinion first. Yours won't have that step.

I would buy a metal ruler and run that on the mating surface along the dents etc and make sure they are flat. If not file down. Same with external just run your hand sound the de ts to make sure it's not protruding out of its factory envelope and file down if you have to.

The impact would have been taken by the metal. The carbon seems to have been wrapped with foam fairly well and could be damaged at anytime during shipping even if there was or wasn't visible damage to metal adapter.

There is always an element of risk when doing this install but from what I see. It's not an issue. Check the carbon visually and if it looks good, you'll be fine.

I bought mine used. With no hardware and shipped from the US. I don't have any vibration at all. Expect the noise to go up as carbon fibre propshafts are hollow and whine. A lot.

But in all honesty. I would 100% install that on my car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The drives shaft slid out the box because the foam wasn't very strong. You can see the packaging was taped back up by the courier.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The drives shaft slid out the box because the foam wasn't very strong. You can see the packaging was taped back up by the courier.
If no visible marks on the carbon. You are good to go. I would never give anyone advice I wouldn't follow myself. One thing you could do is buy a drive shaft safety loop for added peace of mind.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'll have to see what CJPP come back with, with regards to QA1s advice, their partial refund offer and whether QA1 will continue to offer warranty - I still have the image of AMs drag race in my head 🤯

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll have to see what CJPP come back with, with regards to QA1s advice, their partial refund offer and whether QA1 will continue to offer warranty - I still have the image of AMs drag race in my head 🤯
The one where it shattered? That won't happen. That was due to a stupid amount of wheel hop and then adding more power. Something was going to give way. You are better off having a weaker link in the propshaft or halfshaft as oppose to the gearbox. Much fewer headaches.

If you aren't boosted (even if you are) and are sensible with your power delivery, you will have a solid car.
Sponsored