Sponsored

Q&A with Dave Pericak

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Autos don't need launch control nor could they make use of it with the torque converter limiting RPM's when the brake is pressed. Trans brake would be the only thing an auto could get, and from the manufacturer that is pretty much never going to happen.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought it had a DCT. You can have LC on a dual-clutch trans like the GT-R.
Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I thought the Mustang had a dual clutch transmission similar to the Nissan GTR. It has both a manual and full automatic modes with rev matching and launch control. I know the Nissan is double the cost of the Mustang but Ford seemed to imply similar technology in some of the interviews.
http://features.gtrforums.com/article.php?id=10

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Autos don't need launch control nor could they make use of it with the torque converter limiting RPM's when the brake is pressed. Trans brake would be the only thing an auto could get, and from the manufacturer that is pretty much never going to happen.
BMWs 8 speed ZF auto in the 3 and 4 series has launch control. not sure the technical details of how it works. you can find videos of it in action on youtube

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
BMWs 8 speed ZF auto in the 3 and 4 series has launch control. not sure the technical details of how it works. you can find videos of it in action on youtube

I would bet it's traction control programming. Not exactly the same thing considering with a manual trans you can freely rev the engine with the clutch depressed. What Ford's system allows you to do is preset a desired RPM and hold the gas pedal to the floor. When you release the clutch the car's PCM working in conjunction with the traction/stability controls maintains as much useable grip available to provide the quickest and (most importantly, assuming it works) the most consistent launches possible.

With BMW's auto, it would basically work just like the regular traction contol kicking in but perhaps allowing just a little more slip to prevent bogging off the line.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I thought the Mustang had a dual clutch transmission similar to the Nissan GTR. It has both a manual and full automatic modes with rev matching and launch control. I know the Nissan is double the cost of the Mustang but Ford seemed to imply similar technology in some of the interviews.

No DCT trans in the Mustang. You would think that would be plastered everywhere if a DCT were included, especially with the Ecoboost crowd.

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
Not sure why they are so tight lip about the weight and weight distribution as if it's some type of sacred.
It is because they are still fine tuning the details and it is not yet in production. They don't know the exact weight therefor they don't know the exact weight distribution.

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
No the automatic is the same tranny as last year only change is instead of manual mode and having a toggle switch on the shifter they now have paddles. In this interview above they said no launch control on the automatic. Oh they did mention that with the new paddles the automatic will get rev matching.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Pity, a DCT would have been killer! :thumbsup:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
No the automatic is the same tranny as last year only change is instead of manual mode and having a toggle switch on the shifter they now have paddles. In this interview above they said no launch control on the automatic. Oh they did mention that with the new paddles the automatic will get rev matching.
The auto has a few more updates other than the paddle shifters, there is additional structural improvement to the case and increased number of clutches for greater torque holding capability.

Pity, a DCT would have been killer! :thumbsup:

The 6R80 auto would be infinitely more durable when driven hard and capable of holding much more torque, a plus for the drag racing crowd. It is also much smoother for daily driving duties.

Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Fyi, the 6r80 is probably the best auto I have ever had in terms of shifting and smoothness, even as good as my merc or maybe even better. It's that good.

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
I would bet it's traction control programming. Not exactly the same thing considering with a manual trans you can freely rev the engine with the clutch depressed. What Ford's system allows you to do is preset a desired RPM and hold the gas pedal to the floor. When you release the clutch the car's PCM working in conjunction with the traction/stability controls maintains as much useable grip available to provide the quickest and (most importantly, assuming it works) the most consistent launches possible.

With BMW's auto, it would basically work just like the regular traction contol kicking in but perhaps allowing just a little more slip to prevent bogging off the line.
my understanding and from what i have seen of videos of it in action is it functions similar to a DCT system, builds and holds revs then engages the transmission upon releasing the brake

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Im afraid we are starting to teeter totter on that fine line to where this secrecy of all this info with nothing leaking out is starting to become counter productive for Ford.
For some, it keeps them on the edge of their seats and draws out the fun :)

Im sure all who are watching this '15 mustang are getting frustrated with the lack of info....people need time to make a big decision such as purchasing a $30,000-$40,000 vehicle...and in order to make that decision, we need INFO. I mean, price ranges havent even been released yet, how is one supposed to plan financially for this when everything gets released 2 months before orders can be placed?
By extrapolating from the current MSRP, one can get an idea. Of course, we don't know how some of the features are packaged, but starting with the 2014 information, one can get a reasonable idea.

Not to mention, this Mustang is WORLD WIDE as of this year model, so people all over are waiting on this info. Now its beginning to spawn absurd rumors, contradicting info on the vehicle depending on which rep you talk to.
That happens anyway...even when the information is released, some of the people at the dealership level might not have everything straight.

I doubt they will lose potential buyers with this approach to marketing, but why not trickle in the important info slowly over the months? Feb could be pricing, march could be focused on weight, april during the NYC show could reveal all the HP numbers, then go more in depth on everything else in the following months.
I suspect there is a timeline out there, we just don't know what it is. It seems to me this part of the long, slow tease!

Just me on my soap box venting i guess with this lack of info coming from the Detroit show. For Ford, this was the F-150's day to shine, but by putting 3-4 mustangs on the floor, i think they overshadowed the F-150's day :amen:
I also would love to have some more information because Mustang fever is burning hot right now. However, it is likely that I am going to buy a car that I won't get to test drive before I buy it, and that's because I am crazy obsessed right now. I need an ice bath!

trolls56

Threads
Reaction score
The auto has a few more updates other than the paddle shifters, there is additional structural improvement to the case and increased number of clutches for greater torque holding capability.

The 6R80 auto would be infinitely more durable when driven hard and capable of holding much more torque, a plus for the drag racing crowd. It is also much smoother for daily driving duties.

Love my 6R80 and I have seen a few guys running 8s with converters and clutch pack upgrades.

All I was getting at is its not a dct.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I'm with the folks worried about the weight comments. Ford's goals have never fully coincided with my own for handling prowess and ultimate weight is VERY important to me as autocross focuses purely on the handling aspect. I have no doubt a Fox Body GT would smoke the piss out of a Miata on a road course, but the Miata absolutely EATS Fox Body at autocross, partially because of the suspension, mostly because of the weight difference. I'd rather err on the side of lighter weight than faster track times because there is more to a track time than the capabilities of the chassis (see: Power) which is nearly useless in autocross.

I'm not expecting them to build me a perfect autocross car either but it certainly is factoring heavily into my decision making on whether I will purchase one or not. A 3200lb Turbo 4 would be amazing, a 3300lb one would be tolerable, but a 3300+ one had better suck in air and spit out kittens to beat the competition the car will face (mostly BMW's older 3 series cars).
Sponsored