Sponsored

Purpose of beadlocks/weld wheels?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I see these posted a lot, how come you can't just run a wide "normal" wheel like a 19x11 with a fat tire on the rear and be good on traction?
Sponsored

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
stop the tire from spinning on the wheel.
so more for drag racing? I guess people running them on the street are just doing it for show lol

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Same reason for off road, you run lower tire pressure so the tire will flex for more traction, but you don't want it breaking the bead on the rim.

Sponsored

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
If I understand the question correctly, In drag racing, with higher horsepower vehicles, bead locks keep the tire from slipping on the rim, especially in holeshots/tire warming/burnouts. Not sure if it’s street legal, but maybe people use it for wider tires on narrower rims.

OP
OP
stannypack

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That makes more sense. All these terms drag radials/beadlocks/slicks/bias ply are confusing when I be browsing youtube lol

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
I see these posted a lot, how come you can't just run a wide "normal" wheel like a 19x11 with a fat tire on the rear and be good on traction?
Beadlocks keep the tire on the bead, even with low pressure (think drag racing or off-roading, all use low tire pressures to increase the contact patch on the ground, and in extreme drag racing is necessary because the heat on the tire will increase the air pressure very quickly, and can blow the tire if too high before the launch). The beadlock is only necessary on the outside of the wheel, as the bead on the inside of the wheel is basically straight up and down, whereas the outside bead has to be at an angle so that the tire can be mounted. the better option of keeping the tire from spinning on the wheel under hard launches is a knurled bead on the wheel

Joshinator99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium, 2017 Camaro 2SS
Not only can it break the bead, but rotating the tire on the wheel at all will screw up the balance. You’ll notice it for sure if you trap high speeds…

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
When getting beadlocks mounted and balanced, where do you guys take them and how much more is it to mount and balance tires on those rims?