Sponsored

Purchase Advice - Buy a 2019 GT350 Recovered After Stolen?

TomA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The GT350 would be a dream car for me - and with dealers negotiating on price with the 19s it feels like the right time to buy. I joined this forum hoping for some advice an one buying opportunity - a 2019 GT350 with 85 miles, stolen from Ford at 10 miles, recovered with some damage (claimed to be minor and $1200 repair - likely whatever it takes to get in and hot wire), now has a used (not salvage) title and for sale at a Ford Dealer for $56k (MSRP is $65k - has electronics package and a few other options). Test drove it and seemed fine, no signs of problems with engine, transmission, body panels, etc. but did throw a suspension fault (dealer will repair as part of sale), Carfax shows the stolen/recovery event (no accident reported) and confirms clean title, as does AutoCheck. Dealer offered $55k and I think I could push price down to maybe $54k. I think I can buy a new GT350 with similar options for around $58 to $59k if I work hard. The advice I'm hoping for:

1) 10 years down the road I'm thinking with a clean title and that kind of event at 10 miles old, it won't hurt resale enough to really matter. Agree? I know these are collectibles - I'm buying to drive and maybe track, not have sit in the garage.
2) I have no idea how the car was driven in the first 85 miles (especially while stolen). How critical is a gentle break-in? If anything it likely wasn't driven at a constant speed.
3) Any idea what the suspension fault means and how worried one should be? I can't recall exactly how it read.

I'm leaning towards passing but then I think for $5-6k it's worth the risk and these cars are built solidly enough and still have their full warranty.
Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I would personally pass on it. I think you can find a new or very slightly used one with a know history and clean title for what you are willing to spend

I darn near traded my 17 on a new 19 where the dealer was down to 59 (off msrp of 64) but I could not rationalize trading a 8k Mile clean car just to upgrade a couple of model years.

thaext

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Leet Pony
The GT350 would be a dream car for me - and with dealers negotiating on price with the 19s it feels like the right time to buy. I joined this forum hoping for some advice an one buying opportunity - a 2019 GT350 with 85 miles, stolen from Ford at 10 miles, recovered with some damage (claimed to be minor and $1200 repair - likely whatever it takes to get in and hot wire), now has a used (not salvage) title and for sale at a Ford Dealer for $56k (MSRP is $65k - has electronics package and a few other options). Test drove it and seemed fine, no signs of problems with engine, transmission, body panels, etc. but did throw a suspension fault (dealer will repair as part of sale), Carfax shows the stolen/recovery event (no accident reported) and confirms clean title, as does AutoCheck. Dealer offered $55k and I think I could push price down to maybe $54k. I think I can buy a new GT350 with similar options for around $58 to $59k if I work hard. The advice I'm hoping for:

1) 10 years down the road I'm thinking with a clean title and that kind of event at 10 miles old, it won't hurt resale enough to really matter. Agree? I know these are collectibles - I'm buying to drive and maybe track, not have sit in the garage.
2) I have no idea how the car was driven in the first 85 miles (especially while stolen). How critical is a gentle break-in? If anything it likely wasn't driven at a constant speed.
3) Any idea what the suspension fault means and how worried one should be? I can't recall exactly how it read.

I'm leaning towards passing but then I think for $5-6k it's worth the risk and these cars are built solidly enough and still have their full warranty.
https://www.drivewagner.com/new/Ford/2019-Ford-Shelby+GT350-8f9378160a0e0adf07cdfe61c9ec5989.htm

$57,777 for a brand spankin new 19. You're welcome

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
If you can get the dealership to spring for a 100K mile warranty on the car, that would be a good start toward buying the car. Break in procedure is described in the owner's manual. Some owners drive it like they stole it (sorry) from day one and have no issues. Just a good going over by a competent mechanic and you may be okay. It's really hard to tell you which way to go.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You can get a new GT350 with no "history" for that price this time of year. I would want it cheaper or a longer warranty.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
I would pass. I'm sure this car was absolutely thrashed on. I'm thinking far beyond a new owner "thrashing".

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
I would not do it. Who knows what the person who stole the car did to it while driving it.

BLUSNK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If I stole a GT350.. I would drive it like I stole it... if you plan on boosting it, I would pass because you won't have a warranty anyways...

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I don’t know your finances but the car seems sketchy to me. Have you looked into low mileage 17-18’s? I found a low mileage 18 (1400 miles) that was 100% clean and was able to negotiate down to $49k and change. 70%+ of the warranty left.

OP
OP
TomA

TomA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks all for the input/advice (and for the quick responses) - truly helpful! You all reinforced where I was leaning - pass and go the new route, especially as you can do much better than MSRP these days (and this time of year). Hopefully sometime this month I'll be joining as an owner (have had turbo 4s - mainly WRXs - my whole life - super excited about the GT350!!)

Sponsored
OP
OP
TomA

TomA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don’t know your finances but the car seems sketchy to me. Have you looked into low mileage 17-18’s? I found a low mileage 18 (1400 miles) that was 100% clean and was able to negotiate down to $49k and change. 70%+ of the warranty left.
Good suggestion. I've looked at three 17s and 18s with low mileage in the high $40s - all had been tracked to some degree and had 20 to 45k miles which made we a little weary. Haven't completely given up yet on that option yet.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Good suggestion. I've looked at three 17s and 18s with low mileage in the high $40s - all had been tracked to some degree and had 20 to 45k miles which made we a little weary. Haven't completely given up yet on that option yet.
It may be regional, I was searching in a 150 mile radius which gives me access to like 5 states. I ended up finding my car 75 miles away in another state. If you can extend your search radius you will likely find more options, I was pretty surprised how many low mileage cars are out there. I just missed a private sale in VT. It was a 17 with under 4k miles for $42K and perfectly clean. Pretty sure the guy would have taken $41K.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You can’t hot wire a 350. It uses an immobilizer in the key. The days of jumping across the Ignition solenoid to start then steal a car is long gone. I’ll leave it at that.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I would pass on it. Ever redline on a dead cold engine, because that probably happened. You'd also try to get some kind of confirmation from a technician that the engine wasn't overreved(i.e. 2-3 shift turned to 2-1 shift @ redline), and I wouldn't trust the selling dealerships tech, as there could be bias. The list of worries goes on. Pass.

It's possible all they used was a signal repeater to amplify the GT350s key signal from wherever it was stored in the dealership, to the car. It's how they're stealing current model cars with keyless, including everything from Audi's, Mercedes to Lamborghinis. It's the reason why I keep my key in a Faraday pouch when it's at home. Absolutely kills the keyless signal even when it's right next to the car.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Thanks all for the input/advice (and for the quick responses) - truly helpful! You all reinforced where I was leaning - pass and go the new route, especially as you can do much better than MSRP these days (and this time of year). Hopefully sometime this month I'll be joining as an owner (have had turbo 4s - mainly WRXs - my whole life - super excited about the GT350!!)
I've only had regular 4cyl cars all my life, and was a big fan of WRXs, STI especially. When I was financially able, the GT350 was announced and it was everything I wanted, and I just ended up going from econo cars to the Shelby.
Sponsored