Sponsored

Pumaspeed Turbo x37

reds561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
Has anyone heard anything about pumas turbo for the ecoboost? Just wondering since the pumaspeed turbos for the ST are popular and usually on the cheaper side.
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I've not heard anything on the forums... not been on a lot lately though (nice weather, enjoying my vert).

From their site:

http://www.pumaspeed.com/car-Mustang-23T-Ecoboost_117_471.jsp

Mustang EcoBoost 450 bhp+ X-37 Hybrid Turbocharger - Ford Mustang 2.3T Ecoboost

X-37 Mustang EcoBoost Hybrid Turbo charger - Pumaspeed Hybrid Turbochargers

Direct bolt on OE Replacement
New Unique X-Series Larger Turbine Wheel
Motorsport Specification Cut Back Turbine Blades for High Flow at High RPM
New Large Diameter Extended Tip 7 Blade Billet CNC Compressor Wheel
CNC re-profiled compressor cover to match 7 Blade Billet CNC Compressor Wheel
Motorsport Heavy Duty thrust bearing assembly
Modified Seal Plate to match hi-flow compressor wheel

Pumaspeed have unveiled the latest X-Series Hybrid Turbo for the Mustang EcoBoost. The new Hybrid uses the same 7 blade technology used in all previous X-Series Turbos. A Larger 67mm 7 Blade compressor wheel, enlarged exhaust housing and motorsport specification bearings. These tried and tested improvements will provide significant gains in power and torque throughout the rev range.

The pedigree of the X-Series turbos is without question, the list of their achievements and awesome reliability is endless.
Fiesta ST 180 X-47 hits over 300 wheel bhp
Focus ST 250 X-37 hits over 320 wheel bhp
Focus ST 225 X-37 hits over 340 wheel bhp
Focus RS Mk2 X-37 hits over 440 wheel bhp.

Whats the Secret ?
The OEM Stock Ford turbo has one limiting factor, its was never designed to flow the amount of exhaust gases to produce north of 400 whp. All regular off the shelf exhaust shafts Mustang and Focus RS Mk3 are either rated to 350 whp or 380 whp by the manufacturer . To extract any more power from this Stock OE unit you must either shoe horn another turbocharger into the standard exhaust housing or make a larger turbine shaft , we believed this larger shaft option to be the best and most cost effective solution. We looked into the packaging constraints of the stock Mustang and Focus RS Mk3 turbocharger and decided a 12%-13% increase in diameter would still enable the very near stock like spool but give a perfect amount of flow to generate the golden 400whp (450 + bhp) number with ease. A very important consideration often overlooked is reliability, the new turbine is still small enough to leave enough metal in the exhaust housing to guarantee structural strength, any bigger and without serious long term track testing and hot to cold cycles we could not have guaranteed the Ford OE Housing structural integrity.

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
Holy crap, $1100. That's in the price range of an exhaust system. Hopefully we get some people willing to try them out on the Mustang.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
Okay I read the write up on their theory behind the application.

Makes sense. Especially for those who aren't capable/willing to go the E85 route since the limit on 93oct seems to fall just shy of the 400 mark anyway.

Considering they are modifying stock housings I can see why the price is so low however. Although in our case (US customers) there would likely be an import tax in the -$200 range.

Not knowing the reliability/reputation of the company raises an eyebrow and it would take some thorough research before it could be a consideration.

Nice to have another option however.

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Pound coversion makes that between 1300-1500 us dollars plus import taxes

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
if you can't send your turbo back, it puts the price well north of the Vargas stage 2,
I'd be curious to see someone's results though.

OP
OP

reds561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost
Okay I read the write up on their theory behind the application.

Makes sense. Especially for those who aren't capable/willing to go the E85 route since the limit on 93oct seems to fall just shy of the 400 mark anyway.

Considering they are modifying stock housings I can see why the price is so low however. Although in our case (US customers) there would likely be an import tax in the -$200 range.

Not knowing the reliability/reputation of the company raises an eyebrow and it would take some thorough research before it could be a consideration.

Nice to have another option however.

Puma turbos are pretty popular in the ST community. When I was looking em up I even noticed Tune+ liked the turbos on the ST forums. To bad vargas stopped doing stage 1 turbos.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Like reds561 said, they're pretty popular in the FoST/FiST world. I think Adam might have even stocked them at one point, but I'm not sure if he still does. If you could send your stock unit to them, it's not a bad price at all.
PuSp.jpg

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Read their description, price isn't euros. It's USD.
That's why I posted the screenshot. It's not a bad price for basically $1,100 shipped. Of course, you'd have to factor in shipping yours to them as well but I wouldn't imagine that it'd add a significant amount.

Sponsored

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Not here to fight my bad.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Not here to fight my bad.
No one is fighting, good sir. We were just pointing out that it was already in USD to eliminate any confusion. And like I said before, it's not a bad price at all.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
That's why I posted the screenshot. It's not a bad price for basically $1,100 shipped. Of course, you'd have to factor in shipping yours to them as well but I wouldn't imagine that it'd add a significant amount.
I agree that if you never plan on building the block, it's an amazing price. I wouldn't want to deal with having my car off the road that long though.
They do do the option of returning yours later and refunding the deposit.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
It is essentially the same thing as the Vargas setup and price wise if you do not send in your unit, you are talking nearly the same cost ($1900+ then waste gate upgrades will add from their).

bam88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost PP
They offer probably one of the best turbo options for FiST without going crazy and building blocks. Adam doesn't stock them but he does order in lots from them and he deals with the cores and sending them back. Not sure why he doesn't list them for the Mustang as well though as it would a good option for those that don't want to go above 400 ish WHP and keep the stock block.
Sponsored