Pulled Trigger on 19R, now with track updates

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
Quick update on the car, so far the car has been perfect, with a few shortcomings that I was pretty surprised about. I was in a ZL1 for about 4 years then a 991.2 and tracked both, mainly with the ZL1. Can someone explain why, on a track focused (or any car for that matter) there is no tow hook?? I had to cancel my first track day at Laguna because of this. I have the bumper off (way easier than I expected) and the FP hook is coming tomorrow. The second issue that I found odd is that there is no gear indicator on the instrument panel, granted it's not a huge deal but I can't understand why there isn't a option to just show it. The PTM in the ZL1 was really nice, being able to adjust the eLSD to loosen up the rear end as your confidence builds really helped me drive faster and understand the car. Lastly the lack of rev matching is another standard feature on the ZL1. Before you tell me learn how to drive a stick, I can without issue, but it's one more easy thing to help you drive faster on technically demanding tracks like Sonoma. I know of the auto blip and xinerring products and the latter looks pretty slick.

Now the good. I have a 60 mile loop that I drive near my house that is a good mix of hills, some good road, some bumpy road and it ends with high speed sweepers. The chassis feels 500 pounds lighter than it weighs. Turn in was precise and the car was very easy to transition the weight from either side. The brakes are impressive, lots of bite. Compared to the ZL1, it's much more responsive and while I think the magride may be a little better on the chevy (3 positions vs 2), when the road got crappy, it ate up a lot of the bumps well, the chevy seemed to plow through them. Compared to the Porsche which I actually hated driving, it's night and day. The carrera is just too tight with the sport suspension and you feel every tiny bump. Plus for having 450hp, it feels remarkable slow even with the lighter weight. In the San Francisco area, most of the roads are average at best and a lot of the more scenic roads are in fair condition, so the the suspension gets tested a good amount. Either way if were rank the handling, the R is the easy winner. The power delivery in the ZL1 is hard to compete with, but having 8000 revs in 3rd gear kept me pretty happy in most of the tighter turns.

Either way this weekend I am running Thunderhill and I am excited to see how the R runs. After this weekend it's going to Sonoma to get the factory front camber plates installed along with the rear camber brackets and rear subframe alignment kit and track alignment. I probably have 2 days left on the cup2s, which are great but I may go to the PS4 or GY SC3 which I ran on the ZL1 and really liked. Excited for a fun track season ahead.
The lack of a tow hook is inexcusable for something that is supposed to be track ready from the showroom. However you can remediate that with a few options, including the ZL1 Addons part.

Rev matching can be added too - I installed a Xineering autoblip module in my car and use it on the track.

I’m in San Francisco. Let me know if you want to meet up for a drive or HPDE. My next one is Laguna Seca 2/5-2/6 with Corsa Club. It’s a rare 103 dB day - you should come!

1987FAED-B8A6-43B7-B5B6-1C73E5B2DA3B.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

sfzobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
The lack of a tow hook is inexcusable for something that is supposed to be track ready from the showroom. However you can remediate that with a few options, including the ZL1 Addons part.

Rev matching can be added too - I installed a Xineering autoblip module in my car and use it on the track.

I’m in San Francisco. Let me know if you want to meet up for a drive or HPDE. My next one is Laguna Seca 2/5-2/6 with Corsa Club. It’s a rare 103 dB day - you should come!

1987FAED-B8A6-43B7-B5B6-1C73E5B2DA3B.jpeg
Sounds fun, I am unfortunately out of town that weekend but looking forward to more track days in the future along with some local drives. I'm just in the East Bay so not too far. Car is back from Trent, went -2.2 in the front and -1.5 in the back, handling is better and hopefully will allow tires to last a few more sessions.

Good shot from Sunday
GT350 at Thunderhill.jpg

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Nice, that’s in line with the Ford Performance recommendations for the R.

GT350R
Front
Camber -2.20°
Caster 6.92°
Toe - Total 0.10° toe in

Rear
Camber -1.60°
Toe - Total 0.30° toe in

GT350
Front
Camber -2.00°
Caster 6.81°
Toe - Total 0.10° toe in

Rear
Camber -2.20°
Toe - Total 0.30° toe in

My car is going up to him this weekend for front tow hook install and fluids and LTH resonator delete if it arrives in time.

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
Hi guys, I'm in the East Bay, purchased a 2018 GT350 in March and had it at Thunderhill at the end of April with NASA--amazing vehicle.

Who is the mechanic? Trent that @sfzobie refers to? I've worked with Griffin in Berkeley in the past, but am open to suggestions for great mechanics in the Bay Area--thanks.

Sponsored

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
Luckily I’m 40 min to Sonoma and 90 to Laguna Seca and Thunderhill. Only bummer will be sound at Laguna and having to lift up the hill. My last car was a ZL1 and even that didn’t make sound on 90db days.

This is being bought purely as a track toy with limited street use.
It's worth it to sign up for 105 dB days at Seca. I ran my R there in full race mode, no lifting, and never got flagged.

Hobdul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2022 Volvo V60 Polestar
It's worth it to sign up for 105 dB days at Seca. I ran my R there in full race mode, no lifting, and never got flagged.
Anyone going to the Shelby NorCal event at Laguna Seca on June 18? 105 dB limit

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
6368896C-F8FB-45D2-84FA-20DF1B13ED74.jpeg
Great day at Thunderhill. Car ran great, zero issues after four sessions. The big adjustment is with the traction control which was pretty severe, especially later in the day as the track got a bit looser. This was expected per my last post about basically having on/off for the traction instead of phased assistance in the ZL1, will just need to get used to it. Car is so well balanced, and excellent on the brakes. The straight I was in the mid 130s and it stopped for a sharp left (was running in reverse configuration which was new to me). Dropped car off at Trent’s shop on Monday for front and rear camber plates and rear end alignment install with track alignment, picking up tomorrow. Have a date in Sonoma coming up and a few more days at Thunderhill as well so I’m excited to get more confidence in the drive.

1B0EBB94-5F29-48FF-8864-EA5BBD3B8CB6.jpeg
Curious what mode you were in? I have -2.5 camber in front and I need more. How was your tire wear?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've only been there on a spirited parade lap. Beyond the track - the scenery is incredible there...weather usually nice. I could hang out there all weekend! Too bad I'm from Florida. :(

Sponsored

SRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Viper, '21 M2 Competition, '22 S1000RR
@Mr. Maboomba
I might have seen your car around dumbarton bridge area.

Anyways, I noticed you're in Bimmerpost as well. I guess its safe to say you got the GT350 over an M2 Competition? I'm stuck trying to decide between the two. 2018+ GT350 for sure tho.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
@Mr. Maboomba
I might have seen your car around dumbarton bridge area.

Anyways, I noticed you're in Bimmerpost as well. I guess its safe to say you got the GT350 over an M2 Competition? I'm stuck trying to decide between the two. 2018+ GT350 for sure tho.
Maybe - I live in San Francisco and only drive the car south to explore the Santa Cruz Mountains or Diablo Range.
I placed an order for a 2021 M2 Competition then tried to change it to a 2022 M3 6MT but couldn't get an allocation so I bought my 2019 GT350 instead. If you get a GT350, I'd recommend getting a 2019+ GT350; that's when they changed to the Gen 2 Voodoo engine. If you plan to track the car extensively, you may want to pay up and get a GT350R.

Reactions: SRT

MrRogers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Defender, F-TYPE
I've only been there on a spirited parade lap. Beyond the track - the scenery is incredible there...weather usually nice. I could hang out there all weekend! Too bad I'm from Florida. :(
Dude, it was sooo epic. One of my best days of my life for sure!