Sponsored

Proposed Solo Class STP(ony)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Catfish
I thought about trying STP, but even if I was willing to take the longtubes off I still wouldn't be legal with my wrecked 98 running gear UD/BD into a 94 shell. Otherwise I would give it a shot for funsies.
Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I've been hearing from a number of people about 11" wheels but nothing else.

I've had this idea in my head that 3rd and 4th gen cars would be the ones allowed long tubes. I was hoping to see one of those cars run at Lincoln with 315s on 11" wheels to see where they stood with us on 285s but that didn't happen. If they weren't overdogs on the wider rubber then it might help bring some more cars from places like ESP or newbies to the class.
I don't think you can fit 315's all around on a Fox or SN95 Mustang... I think you can barely fit them on the 4th Gen F-Body, but the fender requirements limit SN95's to about 285 up front and 315 out back. Having a little too much experience using staggered setups, I don't see a 2V or even an old 302, needing 315's out back to make the car work... The "advantage" the Fox chassis would have is weight, not power... and they could get pretty lightweight in ST trim. I'm just not convinced you can fix everything else to make them fast though...

And speaking of making the cars work... they are extremely gimped by their factory spring locations and the rear suspension... the easy fix for the rear suspension is an unsafe and damaging procedure to be ST legal since you can't attach the torque arm cross member to SFC's AND you can only bolt in SFC's which is a big no-no on the 3rd/4th gen Mustangs.

ST has needed to fix their cat placement rule since the creation of the class... so many more cars than STP cars that are affected by that placement rule and require expensive custom headers. I don't know why they don't just use a certain distance from the collector as the standard. So long as the cat element is there, there is no performance gain from pushing it downstream where it no longer works since it's still an exhaust gas restriction. It's also pretty obvious when a cat is placed too far downstream due to EXTRA LONG TUBES!

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
This is interesting. These changes would actually make me consider moving out of FS.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
This is interesting. These changes would actually make me consider moving out of FS.
if you need some struts/shocks (MCS 2-way) or wheels (18x11), i know a guy that's posting his spare parts for sale tomorrow ;)

Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Dang, that's amazing!

Those allowances ought to boost the pace and draw entries.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Here is a list of the new allowances:

1. 11" wheels for all cars
2. 315 tires for all cars
3. Spring relocation = "true coilover" rear shocks/springs for our cars
4. Cat relocation up to 18" = long tube headers for our cars
5. Rear gear swaps
6. Camaro SS non-1LE added to the class

Over the next few days I'll see if I can post a budget of what it would cost to build a national level STP car with these new allowances. I need to do one anyway for my own use.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Given the choice, would it be better to run the 305/30R19 re71r or 315/30R18 rival s?

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Given the choice, would it be better to run the 305/30R19 re71r or 315/30R18 rival s?
That's my question too. I was going to review results from various events last year to see how the two tires stacked up. At the moment my thought is the 19" tire. There's also a Kumho in 19 that is way cheaper so there's options in 19.

Contingency is also a big factor and if Bridgestone continues to ignore the class I won't be running them.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
That's my question too. I was going to review results from various events last year to see how the two tires stacked up. At the moment my thought is the 19" tire. There's also a Kumho in 19 that is way cheaper so there's options in 19.

Contingency is also a big factor and if Bridgestone continues to ignore the class I won't be running them.

Steve,

What 18 inch wheels will work with GT PP front brakes?

FYI another factor to consider between RE-71R's and Rivals if they will be driven much on the street is rain. Rivals aren't known to be good rain tires compared to RE-71R's.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I know Boardkat has gotten Forgestar CF5 18x11s to fit over the PP brakes. My thing is since mine is a DD I'd rather not run 18s and stay with 19s, just need to find a 19x10.5 wheel to fit up front

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Boardkat is all over the 18" wheels that fit so I would look to him for advice on that front.

Neither a RE71R or Rival is going to be good enough on a soaked course so my plan there was to take my current STP wheels (M350 19x10) and put an appropriate rain type tire on them in 255/40ish. That set will be used as a transit and rain tires.

OP
OP
Grintch

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Steve,

What 18 inch wheels will work with GT PP front brakes?

FYI another factor to consider between RE-71R's and Rivals if they will be driven much on the street is rain. Rivals aren't known to be good rain tires compared to RE-71R's.

But isn't the tire wear better with the Rival? From what I hear the RE-71R wear rate is pretty high, making it a poor choice to waste them on normal street use.

There are multiple threads on 18s that will fit over PP brakes.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
The ability to change rear gear ratios combined with a slightly shorter (18") tire and proper suspension adjustability could make for a very interesting setup.
Sponsored