Sponsored

Problems found on Australian Mustangs

Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
100%.

Dealer should be ashamed of themselves delivering a car in such a condition.

Did they at least point out the issues or leave it up to you to find them?
Name and shame Dave, who is the dealer? At least that way the next buyer can go in "eyes wide open" with no assumption that the Dealer has taken anymore than a cursory glance at their car.
Sponsored

Billca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Picked mine up today, geez the Americans aren't too great at putting a car together. You'd think they'd only started doing it recently!
Dave, congratulations on your new mustang and commiserations on the half arsed finish. I've been hoping that these problems would improve as time went by but it obviously hasn't. Someone on the forum got a box of red stick on dots to show the dealer where the problems were and the car ended up covered in dots but it was a good indication to everyone looking/working on the car the extent of the defects.
I think I'm going to do the same thing when mine arrives later this month. I'm in no hurry to take delivery before the defects are fixed. Rectifying the defects is Ford Australia's problem not Ford US. I expect the standard of the finish to be equivalent to the rest of the $50,000-$65,000 vehicles that Ford sells here which I've found to be reasonably good. Best of luck

dave-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT, '16 SS Ute, Turbo 86
Did they at least point out the issues or leave it up to you to find them?
Nope I had to point them all out, they only pointed out a scratch on the front bar which would have been done by the PD monkey.

What is more amazing is I found hidden under the drivers sun visor the carbon copy "Ford Trading Company LLC Vehicle Exemptions Worksheet" which just happens to be signed off with zero faults or defects. Inspection date is 3/30/16 and the "Final Quality Inspector" has signed it off on 4/1. That guy should probably get fired...

Name and shame Dave, who is the dealer?
Rather not for now, will give dealer the opportunity to resolve with Ford HO first.

Someone on the forum got a box of red stick on dots to show the dealer where the problems were and the car ended up covered in dots
If I did that, my white GT would be race red....

I had a `66 parked next to mine today, and I swear the build quality hasn't improve much in 50 years. Pic in the photo thread.

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
Front bar, lower grill area I thought was just dirty...it's missing the paint!
Dave, this looks like over spray from them painting the under carriage black. I would go over the vehicle checking for a fine mist of over spray. You will need to run your fingers over the paint. Also run you fingers over the rims too for over spray.

The second photo is poor quality. Is 'reject' stuff and should have been repaired and sprayed.

dave-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT, '16 SS Ute, Turbo 86
Dave, this looks like over spray from them painting the under carriage black. I would go over the vehicle checking for a fine mist of over spray. You will need to run your fingers over the paint. Also run you fingers over the rims too for over spray.

The second photo is poor quality. Is 'reject' stuff and should have been repaired and sprayed.
How the hell do you get over spray there? Any why paint the under carriage that late in the piece?

Anyway will be giving the car a wash and sticking it on the hoist this weekend to go over everything much closer and document to Ford.

Sponsored

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
How the hell do you get over spray there? Any why paint the under carriage that late in the piece?

Anyway will be giving the car a wash and sticking it on the hoist this weekend to go over everything much closer and document to Ford.
You will notice the under carriage is black, there is a reason behind it for exporting. To protect the components from sea salt and rusting I guess.

I know of a case where a delivery was completely rejected due to a significant case of rust on the under carriage (tail shaft/diff), Ford AU did not hesitate to replace with another vehicle. It was shocking. I checked mine tonight as I am getting the keys tomorrow, it was a superb job with every component completely covered.

When you put it on the hoist look for rust. Something that should be added to the pre-delivery inspection list ;)

MM Pony GT

MM Pony GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maks
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Those are very noticeable panel gaps. Having it in white only makes them more noticeable.
My magnetic has slightly tighter panel alignment and the colour also helps conceal minor imperfections.
The bonnet pinch is beginning to annoy me more and more, however the local dealer service department doesn't give me a great deal of confidence to allow them to mess with it.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
My car had paint defects. Dealer asked me to come and have a look. He thought respraying of some areas would be required and that I would reject the car.

I was happy with panel alignment and gaps and suggested to the dealer to let the detailer who was going to do my Ceramic Pro treatment to check over the car. We agreed to be guided by that.

Detailer came in, gave the PD guys some advice and materials and problem solved.

Now, this dealer brings in the detailer to fix defects on other cars.

I believe I got a good car (sigh of relief) but I also think my dealer is doing the right thing by their customers as they value the relationship.

Billca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
My car had paint defects. Dealer asked me to come and have a look. He thought respraying of some areas would be required and that I would reject the car.
How far did the conversation with the dealer go RSPEC? Did he offer a replacement and say when it might arrive? Would you be sent to the end of the line or would they squeeze you in...somehow? I assume Ford would honour the original price

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
You would be sent to the end of the queue. The only way you would get one sooner is if a cancelled order existed in the colour you required

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
You would be sent to the end of the queue. The only way you would get one sooner is if a cancelled order existed in the colour you required
I don't think so, there was a guy in the UK that had his car replaced in like 4 months. Can't remember the circumstances of why the dealer replaced it, I want to say it caught fire and therefore was a warranty issue

Edit: Let's not quote me on that, I'll do some digging to find out why

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Probably comes down to the circumstances. Speaking from experiences Im currently going through, it would have to be a pretty damn full on issue for a new car to be expedited to you.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Yeah my bad, it was written off prior to delivery. If it were bad enough to warrant rejecting, I can't imagine it would push you to the back of the queue. There was talk of dealers rejecting early builds

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
How far did the conversation with the dealer go RSPEC? Did he offer a replacement and say when it might arrive? Would you be sent to the end of the line or would they squeeze you in...somehow? I assume Ford would honour the original price
Thankfully it didn't get that far. I was gutted when the dealer called me to say he had stopped PD on the car over the paint defects. But, my brainwave was to get the expert in. Langdon from Driven Colour looked over the car and said all could be rectified and gave the paint an overall healthy rating. He helped the dealer fix it 90%.

After delivery he did the car up beautifully - you would not believe it was the same car.

As some of the marks on my car were under the protective film I can't for the life of me understand how the factory can give a pass on QC.

At the end of the day it didn't cost me any extra to get the car to where I wanted it but I can fully appreciate how others can be disappointed with what they're presented with.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
well it took only 44 days for the dealership to sort out a placement for my pony light and the image doesn't have a tumour on its back any more
So fixed today but a very tryng experience with the service dept and hopefully nothing goes wrong with the passenger side light for a while yet
Here's hoping
Sponsored