Sponsored

Priming Question

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I was curious is there a way to prime the push start S550 Mustangs? I'd assume its gas down and pressing the start button but do not want to end up redlining my car by accident.

It probably does nothing but I always have done it as a habit on my other cars after oil changes to prime the filter.

Thanks!
Sponsored

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Yup, that's how you do it. Pedal to the metal and push the start button. Do it for 10 seconds, give it a break for a minute or two and repeat the process.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Just do it until there's good oil pressure.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Just do it until there's good oil pressure.
Live and learn.never knew that on new cars.always did it on my gto.ill have to do it now

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
You may want to fill your new oil filter with fresh oil before screwing it on. This will have near zero priming lag in oil pressure on start up.

OP
OP
Ninpop9

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
You may want to fill your new oil filter with fresh oil before screwing it on. This will have near zero priming lag in oil pressure on start up.
That is what I usually do on my other cars but on the 3.7 Duratecs they are horizontally mounted, makes a huge mess.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Live and learn.never knew that on new cars.always did it on my gto.ill have to do it now
SOME new cars. It's implemented on my S550. It's not on my Tacoma. I haven't tried my wife's Subie.

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
Can you gentlemen enlighten me (I'm a senior) as to why priming is an issue?
Am I missing some fun activity due to my station in life?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Can you gentlemen enlighten me (I'm a senior) as to why priming is an issue?
Am I missing some fun activity due to my station in life?
A lot of people like to have oil up in the top end of the engine before starting it and running at 800+ rpm.

As is true for most topics on the internet, there is much crosstalk as to (a) the need to do so and (b) the efficiency of doing so using the starter to drive the pump.

YMMV.

Sponsored

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
A lot of people like to have oil up in the top end of the engine before starting it and running at 800+ rpm.

As is true for most topics on the internet, there is much crosstalk as to (a) the need to do so and (b) the efficiency of doing so using the starter to drive the pump.

YMMV.
I be enlightened - TY

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It probably does nothing but I always have done it as a habit on my other cars after oil changes to prime the filter.

Thanks!
I understand the need or want after a filter change. Because a dry filter media, takes time to become wetted/saturated, then begins to pass oil.

I suggest that the purpose for pre-filling a filter prevents that delay.

Taking it one step further, suggest that the filter be filled with oil once or twice. That oil will be absorbed, by the media.

The filter then can be installed without spilling oil.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
I do it when bringing the car out of storage after 6 months of no starts. Gives me some peace of mind that I’m getting some oil in the engine.

OP
OP
Ninpop9

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
I understand the need or want after a filter change. Because a dry filter media, takes time to become wetted/saturated, then begins to pass oil.

I suggest that the purpose for pre-filling a filter prevents that delay.

Taking it one step further, suggest that the filter be filled with oil once or twice. That oil will be absorbed, by the media.

The filter then can be installed without spilling oil.
You're correct, I do want to add though that priming the engine after a dry filter is installed makes determining the dip stick level a lot easier. You can add 6 quarts directly to the motor, prime it - and check the level again before ever starting the car. Good safety precaution as well for leaks, etc.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
You're correct, I do want to add though that priming the engine after a dry filter is installed makes determining the dip stick level a lot easier. You can add 6 quarts directly to the motor, prime it - and check the level again before ever starting the car. Good safety precaution as well for leaks, etc.
Was just thinking seems that if you do it but every time you start the car it'll put more wear and tearon starter and battery.so I'll just do it on dry filter
Sponsored

Last edited: