pressure washer safety on car paint

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 with AE
Hey everyone, are pressure washers safe to use on car or will they damage paint? Have a max psi of 2030 on my current power washer and would use 40 degree nozzle. Also have ceramic coating on my GT. thanks
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
There are many different nozzles for pressure washers. I use the black one that is not very hard but more like a heavy rain fall.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Go on Amazon and get some 4.0 gpm nozzles, more flow and less tip pressure is what you need for washing cars.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I use mine with the 40 degree nozzle, 3000 PSI pressure washer. No issues. It's exactly what a touchless wash system would use, and what a professional detailer would use.

JR

OP
OP

DjMig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 with AE
Awesome! Thank you everyone. Just Being extra cautious!

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
A related question... The manual is, as usual, just precise enough to be confusing and scary. In the section on washing the exterior, it has two sections, one for the Mach 1 and one, presumably, for the "standard" Mustang. In the Mach 1 section, it talks about NOT using a pressure washer on the front fascia to avoid damaging the heat exchangers.

I'm assuming that only applies to the Mach 1, right? Or should I be extra careful there in general?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
A related question... The manual is, as usual, just precise enough to be confusing and scary. In the section on washing the exterior, it has two sections, one for the Mach 1 and one, presumably, for the "standard" Mustang. In the Mach 1 section, it talks about NOT using a pressure washer on the front fascia to avoid damaging the heat exchangers.

I'm assuming that only applies to the Mach 1, right? Or should I be extra careful there in general?
I only wash my cars with pressure washers and havent had any issues. I assume that’s specific to the Mach 1. With a 40 degree tip you should be just fine.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I only wash my cars with pressure washers and havent had any issues. I assume that’s specific to the Mach 1. With a 40 degree tip you should be just fine.
Awesome, thanks!

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

It really doesn't matter. You just need to be careful as to not push water directly into the vents. Use a moderate nozzle (25 degrees works best on even moderately dirty car) and keep your distance. Otherwise it is no different than driving your car in a rain storm (God forbid!! 😱 )

1666200462007.png

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Pressure washers are fine, but you need to be a bit careful and there is a lot of confusion and miss-information out there. Some will say 1,500 psi or even 1,900 psi is safe, but to be conservative, I like to keep pressure under 1,000 psi for car washing. You also want the highest flow rate you can get.

The way you adjust pressure and increase flow is by selecting a nozzle with a larger orifice. I suggest a nozzle with a 3.0 or larger orifice. Without getting into too many details, for any given pressure washer, the larger the orifice size, the higher the flow rate and the lower the pressure. If you want to be safe, you can pick up a gauge like this one to install upstream of your wand to measure the pressure: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TPMW878?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You also want a fairly wide fan pattern. A narrow fan pattern concentrates all the force in a very small area. I always use a 40 deg nozzle (the white one) for car washing. Some will use a 25 deg nozzle, but I like to keep it safe and stay with larger pattern. Don't get too close. Even a wide spray pattern will be too concentrated if you hold right close to the surface.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Pressure washers are fine, but you need to be a bit careful and there is a lot of confusion and miss-information out there. Some will say 1,500 psi or even 1,900 psi is safe, but to be conservative, I like to keep pressure under 1,000 psi for car washing. You also want the highest flow rate you can get.

The way you adjust pressure and increase flow is by selecting a nozzle with a larger orifice. I suggest a nozzle with a 3.0 or larger orifice. Without getting into too many details, for any given pressure washer, the larger the orifice size, the higher the flow rate and the lower the pressure. If you want to be safe, you can pick up a gauge like this one to install upstream of your wand to measure the pressure: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TPMW878?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

You also want a fairly wide fan pattern. A narrow fan pattern concentrates all the force in a very small area. I always use a 40 deg nozzle (the white one) for car washing. Some will use a 25 deg nozzle, but I like to keep it safe and stay with larger pattern. Don't get too close. Even a wide spray pattern will be too concentrated if you hold right close to the surface.
My power washer came with 2.0 orifice tips and I immediately upgraded to the 3.0. I might even upgrade those to 3.5 at some point
Sponsored