Sponsored

Predictions for GT350 production beyond 2017?

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
My wild guess.
Ford will produce a 2017 GT500.
much the way they did the 2015 GT350, very limited production ( 50th year Ann.)
Leads me to believe Ford can sell this car in Numbers for 17.
But when full fledged orders go nuts for 500 can they keep the 350 for 18?
I don't think they will. that leaves a total of 3 years for 350.
With all the other cars they plan on releasing, how many is to many speciality cars?
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would love for you guys to be right, as adding an R to the stable in a year or two at MSRP would be fantastic. I agree it looks like they will build ~5000 this year, no reason not to do the same next year. However the one caveat that applies now that never applied before was CAFE standards and over-all fleet average, so well see how that impacts production into MY18

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Also, the SVT Cobras didn't require wholesale re-engineering. It was the same 4.6 L block as the GT cars, albeit *heavily* reinforced and modified. I would guess the most expensive R&D on that car was its IRS, or did it come wholesale from another Ford?
Read "Iron Fist, Lead Foot" to get insights into the development of the '03/'04 cars. The supercharged engine was a big part of the program on par with what has been done with 5.2L V8, in my opinion. The IRS was adapted from a previous Thunderbird unit, but there were changes to fit into the FOX-4 platform.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Based on what I know and the legitimacy of the poster, this sounds about right. However, I would interpret "much better price" to mean easier to order and cut a deal on… not a lower MSRP. I (and others with a clue) have been saying there will "eventually be plenty to go around" for well over a year. Many people refused to believe it and instead chose to believe the dealers charging large ADMs. I have been telling customers 1-2k adm max on non-R's. R's are definitely a different situation.

Original Shelby Mustangs and Cobra's were never artificially limited. The sold what they could. There was a time when new 427 cobra's sat in the back of dealers covered in dust because they couldn't get 3k for them.
With all due respect you may have some inside connections but many others do as well and to suggest that the GT350 is going to continue on past the 2017MY is pure speculation and has no merit.

Here we are speculating about 2018 R models and 2019 R models when Ford was still delivering 2015 GT350 models in early 2016 and up until last week when the 2016MY R model production started back up there was only ~45 R models produced for 2016 and for you or anyone to suggest that production for the GT350/GT350R for 2018 and 2019 is just not credible.

I noticed in an earlier post that someone referred to Mark Schaller as the "Director of Mustang for Ford" and certainly with no disrespect to Mark but the last time that I looked Mark was the "Marketing Manager, Shelby GT350" so how credible was that source of information? I have spoken to Mark numerous times and he is a great young fellow but I suggest that the decision to move forward or not for the 2018MY and 2019MY will be handled on a different level altogether.

Many of us have spoken to different sources within Ford including people senior to Mark and not once has anyone at Ford suggested that the GT350 will go past the 2017MY.

As far as 427 Cobra's sitting on dealer lots back in the day and suggesting they couldn't get $3,000 for them you must have been living in a different world than I was as I never saw nothing close to that when I looked at them.

Did they sit on dealers lots for periods of time, absolutely as they were a big ticket item back in the 60's but every Cobra that I looked at was sitting in the dealership showroom as the center piece and rightly so.

:ford:

OP
OP

Spectre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Boxster GTS
Read "Iron Fist, Lead Foot" to get insights into the development of the '03/'04 cars. The supercharged engine was a big part of the program on par with what has been done with 5.2L V8, in my opinion. The IRS was adapted from a previous Thunderbird unit, but there were changes to fit into the FOX-4 platform.
I'll definitely look for that. Thanks!

I noticed in an earlier post that someone referred to Mark Schaller as the "Director of Mustang for Ford" and certainly with no disrespect to Mark but the last time that I looked Mark was the "Marketing Manager, Shelby GT350" so how credible was that source of information?
I was directly quoting another poster on another forum but I have since checked, and you are correct about his true title. In a twisted way, I think marketing manager might have more to do with the decision than the chief engineer of the program (but perhaps not whoever's counting the beans).

All I want for Christmas 2017 is a 2018 Grabber Blue GT350. :D

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'll definitely look for that. Thanks!

I was directly quoting another poster on another forum but I have since checked, and you are correct about his true title. In a twisted way, I think marketing manager might have more to do with the decision than the chief engineer of the program (but perhaps not whoever's counting the beans).

All I want for Christmas 2017 is a 2018 Grabber Blue GT350. :D
I certainly understand your passion for a GT350 or a GT350R and I am with you with respect to Grabber Blue as I am an old school guy and liked that color back in '69 and '70 and would be very happy to have an R model in my garage in GB.

Having said that I would suggest that if you get a chance to order a 2017 GT350 of any kind I would place a deposit immediately subject to the selling price.

I was just offered an allocation for a 2017 R model today and I am seriously looking at pulling the trigger on this car even though I have a 2015 GT350 and a 2016 GT350R as one can never have enough of these great cars.

Good luck with your search and don't hesitate to order a 2017 if the opportunity comes along. I personally am not confident that Ford will go forward with a 2018 model but that is just a gut feeling that I have based on numerous conversations with various Ford personnel.

:cheers:

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The actual answer as of right now, is none of us have any idea. We've all heard a million different stories about AWD GT500s and Mach 1s and more coming out in the future, so whether Ford feels there's room in the lineup for multiple performance Mustangs at the same time, we have NO IDEA.

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Just look historically at the previous BOSS vs. GT500s. Did the latest GT500 cause BOSS values to plummet? Not necessarily. Two different versions of the Mustang for two different purposes.

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Just look historically at the previous BOSS vs. GT500s. Did the latest GT500 cause BOSS values to plummet? Not necessarily. Two different versions of the Mustang for two different purposes.
No but the minute the GT350 ordering started my old Boss dropped 1-2k blue book (this isn't contrary to what you said at all, just experience in regards to what happens when the actual successor car comes out).

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
None of this has affected Terminator prices though!
Sponsored