NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Hey everyone,

Just installed powerpack 2 on the mustang last weekend. I'm new to CAI so I bought a pre-filter from outerwears to prevent oils, dust, water etc. from getting on the filter. Am I just supposed to leave the pre filter on all the time? I feel like covering the filter up like that would restrict air flow somehow.
Sponsored

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yes, the idea is you would leave it on all the time, as an added layer of protection in severely wet or dusty environments.

Of course, it adds an extra layer of restriction, but it is very, very small. It's the price you pay for the added protection.

However, for what it's worth, I used to use a pre-filter before on previous car with a true cold-air intake all the time, and never noticed any difference in throttle response or fuel economy.

mjhpadi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT-350 Heritage Edition
I agree, it is amazing how much cleaner your air filter stays with the pre filter. And there is no noticeable lose of power with it. I would no run a CAI without a pre filter.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I ran an Outerwears pre-filter full time on my car when I as running the PP2 kit. Car dyno'd 403rwhp / 395 rwtq with everything else on the car stock. So I would say it had zero effect on performance.

cbrtrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I've been using prefilters for years and have dyno verified no loss in power. The trick is to use them on a clean filter, that way the filter stays cleaner for much longer and in turn flows better. The key for good flow is keeping the filter clean and dry from water and the outerwear does a great job at that.
Sponsored