Sponsored

PPF install Los Angeles

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Any of the LA guys have someone they recommend for PPF instal? I’m waiting on a quote from Bemaro Films but wanted to see what else was out there. Do you recommend a coating on top/below the film too? Thanks!
Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Any of the LA guys have someone they recommend for PPF instal? I’m waiting on a quote from Bemaro Films but wanted to see what else was out there. Do you recommend a coating on top/below the film too? Thanks!
I'm in the same boat as you as I just picked up my car on Saturday and this is the next step. The two places that I've contacted are Carbyne Motorsport in Glendale and Sticker City in Sherman Oaks. Carbyne quoted me $6000 for full car PPF. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the full car, but these places both seem to be well received.

https://www.carbynemotorsport.com/

https://stickercity.store/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIypOP67_a6gIVghx9Ch3UIwfeEAAYASAAEgKmDfD_BwE

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
And as far as the ceramic coat, if I'm not mistaken it goes on after the PPF is installed. I'm still learning about the process so hopefully someone with more experience with chime in.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
And as far as the ceramic coat, if I'm not mistaken it goes on after the PPF is installed. I'm still learning about the process so hopefully someone with more experience with chime in.
That correct. Think of ceramic coating as an more permanent version of wax (although it’s not permanent and requires upkeep to maintain its hydrophobic properties). It’s a huge profit center for PPF/detail shops and I don’t recommend it. It’s a personal choice. PPF on parts of the car are very useful especially if you like to tailgate other cars, drive on the interstate often, or track the car.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm in the same boat as you as I just picked up my car on Saturday and this is the next step. The two places that I've contacted are Carbyne Motorsport in Glendale and Sticker City in Sherman Oaks. Carbyne quoted me $6000 for full car PPF. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do the full car, but these places both seem to be well received.

https://www.carbynemotorsport.com/

https://stickercity.store/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIypOP67_a6gIVghx9Ch3UIwfeEAAYASAAEgKmDfD_BwE
I hear sticker city is highly over priced, but I’m waiting on a quote from them as well, and a few other places in Long Beach

That correct. Think of ceramic coating as an more permanent version of wax (although it’s not permanent and requires upkeep to maintain its hydrophobic properties). It’s a huge profit center for PPF/detail shops and I don’t recommend it. It’s a personal choice. PPF on parts of the car are very useful especially if you like to tailgate other cars, drive on the interstate often, or track the car.
so do you need anything on top of the PPF, or is it in itself hydrophobic?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Do you recommend a coating on top/below the film too?
No. PPF will hide any imperfections in the paint. No need to paint correct.

A while ago it was explained to me that putting cquartz on top of PPF is like putting a thin sheet of glass over a very soft surface.

I have PPF only and the car has always looked fantastic.

If you are doing partial PPF, then by all means cquartz the bare paint.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
No. PPF will hide any imperfections in the paint. No need to paint correct.

A while ago it was explained to me that putting cquartz on top of PPF is like putting a thin sheet of glass over a very soft surface.

I have PPF only and the car has always looked fantastic.

If you are doing partial PPF, then by all means cquartz the bare paint.

Really? I was always told you will still see the imperfections under the film. I’m planning the full front, full hood and fenders, mirrors and deck lid. Not sure I can swing a full car Ppf

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I hear sticker city is highly over priced, but I’m waiting on a quote from them as well, and a few other places in Long Beach
I emailed them and they actually never gave me a quote and wanted me to come down to go over everything. I never followed up after that. I'm probably going to go with Carbyne as they seem like a smaller shop and were pretty detailed with prices and their process.

You're out in Long Beach? I'm sure you'll be able to find a good place there. I was actually out there on Saturday at 2nd street and it was packed. My buddy lives out there and came with me to pick up my car at the dealer in Orange County.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
Concours Auto Spa in Torrance, CA did my '18 full front end, mirrors. head lights, rockers and rear quarters. I recommend. Ask for Doug.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I emailed them and they actually never gave me a quote and wanted me to come down to go over everything. I never followed up after that. I'm probably going to go with Carbyne as they seem like a smaller shop and were pretty detailed with prices and their process.

You're out in Long Beach? I'm sure you'll be able to find a good place there. I was actually out there on Saturday at 2nd street and it was packed. My buddy lives out there and came with me to pick up my car at the dealer in Orange County.
No I’m in Santa Monica, but ha e read great reviews about polished protection out there so I sent an email for a quote from them too

Sponsored
OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Concours Auto Spa in Torrance, CA did my '18 full front end, mirrors. head lights, rockers and rear quarters. I recommend. Ask for Doug.
Thanks, I didn’t see them in my search, and will email them in the morning!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
i did full front, rear quarter panels, and rear CF wing. i didnt want to pony up for full car PPF nor the professional ceramic coatings. i just use the "over the counter" sio2 sprays like turtle wax seal n shine, turtle wax ceramic spray wax, and mother's CMX spray. great "budget" way to go...

20200612_194709ed.jpg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

so do you need anything on top of the PPF, or is it in itself hydrophobic?
PPF may have some hydrophobic properties, but nothing in the realm like a ceramic coating or wax/sealant. I recommend waxing over the top of PPF every 6 months with a good synthetic sealant and you’ll get the same slick result as ceramic coating. Reload and turtle wax ceramic sprays are also really good to use from time to time (on paint, PPF, or ceramic coated anything.)

A friend of mine has a tint shop and is branching out to PPF. As a test he PPF’d behind the door handle on a 15 year old bmw (the area where all the fingernail scaratches are visible. To his and my surprise, the PPF hid 99% of the scratches, and some were quite deep. So... all that to say, you definitely don’t need paint correction before PPF.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Really? I was always told you will still see the imperfections under the film. I’m planning the full front, full hood and fenders, mirrors and deck lid. Not sure I can swing a full car Ppf
Unless it’s a serious paint imperfection, you won’t see it under the film.

On a side note, I would take all advice that someone gives you about services or products with a grain of salt and definitely do you own research into what each product does.

Detail shops are trying to sell you ceramic coatings, paint correction, and full car PPF (the first two being really profitable for detail shops as it’s mostly labor.) Of course they’re going to tell you that you NEED it... they’re selling it :)

Some guys who have paid for any of these expensive services are trying to justify their own decision by making you think you need to do the same. Or, they bought into the sales pitch and hype and are trying to convince you of the same.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as @lightrules and many others on this forum as far as PPF coverage, especially if you plan to track the car, or tailgate, or drive on the interstate. For me, I did front bumper, headlights, fog lights, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, above windshield, rocker panels, behind rear tires in the impact zone. I paid $2200. Other than that, on all painted surfaces I alternate between a synthetic sealant (synthetic version of wax) and a silicon spray like reload (some call it ceramic spray.)
2910895A-7D4D-4205-BA43-35B504629965.jpeg
6BF05AA8-BE08-4E41-A7C8-01B3B66DC142.jpeg

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
PPF may have some hydrophobic properties, but nothing in the realm like a ceramic coating or wax/sealant. I recommend waxing over the top of PPF every 6 months with a good synthetic sealant and you’ll get the same slick result as ceramic coating. Reload and turtle wax ceramic sprays are also really good to use from time to time (on paint, PPF, or ceramic coated anything.)

A friend of mine has a tint shop and is branching out to PPF. As a test he PPF’d behind the door handle on a 15 year old bmw (the area where all the fingernail scaratches are visible. To his and my surprise, the PPF hid 99% of the scratches, and some were quite deep. So... all that to say, you definitely don’t need paint correction before PPF.
Can you use any wax ontop of PPF, do they need to be specific for PPF?

Unless it’s a serious paint imperfection, you won’t see it under the film.

On a side note, I would take all advice that someone gives you about services or products with a grain of salt and definitely do you own research into what each product does.

Detail shops are trying to sell you ceramic coatings, paint correction, and full car PPF (the first two being really profitable for detail shops as it’s mostly labor.) Of course they’re going to tell you that you NEED it... they’re selling it :)

Some guys who have paid for any of these expensive services are trying to justify their own decision by making you think you need to do the same. Or, they bought into the sales pitch and hype and are trying to convince you of the same.

I’m pretty much in the same boat as @lightrules and many others on this forum as far as PPF coverage, especially if you plan to track the car, or tailgate, or drive on the interstate. For me, I did front bumper, headlights, fog lights, full hood, front fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, above windshield, rocker panels, behind rear tires in the impact zone. I paid $2200. Other than that, on all painted surfaces I alternate between a synthetic sealant (synthetic version of wax) and a silicon spray like reload (some call it ceramic spray.)
2910895A-7D4D-4205-BA43-35B504629965.jpeg
6BF05AA8-BE08-4E41-A7C8-01B3B66DC142.jpeg
Thanks for the heads up, The main reason im interested in correction is my dad's car, though new, is full of swirls from the dealer, so would like the non covered parts to look just as good as the protected parts swirl wise. The areas that aren't fully covered (a-pillar, above windshield), is it very noticeable where it stops?
Sponsored