PP3 Tune

Raven 6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Okay, I installed the PP2 upgrade about a year ago and now want to do the intake to kick it up to the PP3 on our 2016 GT. Question is all the big box stores says it needs a custom tune. As you know the PP2 comes with a tune, where do I go for the PP3 tune? Appreciate the help.
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Ford Performance has a nice canned tune for the PP3, but for some reason they require you to buy the entire kit to get it, even if you have some of the parts like your PP2 tune. You'd need a custom tune or to buy the entire PP3 kit.

Having had PP3, I'd say consider what you want carefully. The stock manifold you have in PP2 begins keeling over at around 6500 rpm, but makes good lower rpm torque. If you liked the feeling of power your PP2 gave you over stock, the PP3 will not give you that same more powerful bump over PP2. In fact, I thought it felt less exciting than stock because the torque curve was smoother with almost an identical max torque. It will definitely feel less powerful on the street than PP2. But it is faster...because it opens more of the breathing potential of the coyote at high rpm and has shorter runners tuned for high rpm (like on the Voodoo), meaning when the PP2 is starting to wheeze and you shift, the PP3 is still making good power and continues to do so until 7500rpm. So on the track where you're at sustained high rpm it will beat PP2, but it won't feel as strong necessarily on the street where you're in a range of rpms, including low-mid.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
As was stated there is no direct upgrade path from pp2 to pp3 with FP. Either purchase full pp3 kit or custom tune and manifold. If going to custom tune though may as well add long tubes for more power and tune for them. If sticking with stock manifold and e85 is available in your area tuning for it should definitely be considered since you wouldn't need to upgrade injectors unless you did upgrade the manifold.

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
You can get the PP3 tune from the HP tuners repository and flash it with something like an MPVI2.

I have not actually tried this though. I just nabbed the tune in case I want to do the mani upgrade.

It may not be the most up the date file either. I believe the one I was able to find was from 2017.

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
You can get the PP3 tune from the HP tuners repository and flash it with something like an MPVI2.

I have not actually tried this though. I just nabbed the tune in case I want to do the mani upgrade.

It may not be the most up the date file either. I believe the one I was able to find was from 2017.
If you don't already have the ford strategy you can't copy that pp3 tune file. It will cost you 6 credits to do that. The ford strategy has other boxes that your stock tune does not have.

Since he already has the pp2 tune he has that strategy and he could go that route. Hptuner and 2 credits.

Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Ford Performance has a nice canned tune for the PP3, but for some reason they require you to buy the entire kit to get it, even if you have some of the parts like your PP2 tune. You'd need a custom tune or to buy the entire PP3 kit.

Having had PP3, I'd say consider what you want carefully. The stock manifold you have in PP2 begins keeling over at around 6500 rpm, but makes good lower rpm torque. If you liked the feeling of power your PP2 gave you over stock, the PP3 will not give you that same more powerful bump over PP2. In fact, I thought it felt less exciting than stock because the torque curve was smoother with almost an identical max torque. It will definitely feel less powerful on the street than PP2. But it is faster...because it opens more of the breathing potential of the coyote at high rpm and has shorter runners tuned for high rpm (like on the Voodoo), meaning when the PP2 is starting to wheeze and you shift, the PP3 is still making good power and continues to do so until 7500rpm. So on the track where you're at sustained high rpm it will beat PP2, but it won't feel as strong necessarily on the street where you're in a range of rpms, including low-mid.
He's correct about street driving. The pp2 has the torque. Pp3 up top. If you're not racing keep the pp2. Here is a dyno sheet found on this forum
stang GT Power Pack 3 vs Power Pack 2 vs Power Pack 1 vs Baseline-X2 (1).jpg

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You really have 3 options:

1) buy the FR PP3 tune and start from scratch
2) buy an aftermarket tune and start from scratch
3) find a shop with HP Tuners, pay $100 in credits and make 1 change in your PP2 tune file to turn it into the PP3 tune file
Sponsored