PP2 tire sizes

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Searched around and couldn't find an answer, but has anyone changed from the PP2 tires to the GT350 tires sizes? (295/35 fronts, 305/35 rears.) I feel the cup 2's are way out of my league, I will never push the car hard enough to need them, they don't last long, and some say they aren't great in the rain, plus the fender gap is quite hideous with that small of a tire. I wouldn't mind going to a larger tire all around, especially since Discount Tire is having a Labor Day sale this weekend, and I could sell my Cup 2's with less then 100 miles on them. Based on the research is did, the rear 305/35 shouldn't have any issues, just a little worried about a 295/35 front tire that is almost an inch larger in diameter than the stock tires, but they will be slightly narrower. Just wondering I will have to worry about rubbing with that tire size on the front wheels with that 24mm offset oem wheels.

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah, that is the only person I know of, but I believe there is another thread where he said he does have a slight rub. Guess I need to find out where his is rubbing and see how much room I have there because of the different inner fenders. I was hoping someone with an actual PP2 would comment if they have any rubbing at all. I would love to see just how different the inner fender liners are between the two.

Thanks,

Doug

Jonyxz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 401A 10R80
He had some rubbing with the j&m springs but I think he solved it by switching to less aggresive drop gt350 springs.

Sponsored

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
You should be fine if you aren't going to lower the car but why not just keep the same tire size? The Cup 2's have very low tread depth from new and most other tires will be slightly bigger and you wont have any issues with rubbing. That will also give you the option to lower the car in the future if you choose to do so. That being said if you do get new tires and are wiling to ship the cup 2's send me a PM and I'll take them off your hands.

OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
You should be fine if you aren't going to lower the car but why not just keep the same tire size? The Cup 2's have very low tread depth from new and most other tires will be slightly bigger and you wont have any issues with rubbing. That will also give you the option to lower the car in the future if you choose to do so. That being said if you do get new tires and are wiling to ship the cup 2's send me a PM and I'll take them off your hands.
If I can get some slightly larger tires on there, then I will probably never lower the car, just want to fill in the wheel wells a little more. I did consider keeping the stock tires size, but then I would have to lower it to decrease the fender gap, the car is low enough already. Really have no desire to ship them, only plan on offering them for local pickup.

Thanks,

Doug

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a PP2 and change my cup 2s out to nitto 555 G2s 305/35/19 all the way around with no issues. The gap looks better too. No rubbing issues either other than one time at high speed in normal mode on a very rough hard corner. Just a slight touch that one time. On a track it has never rubbed.

OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have a PP2 and change my cup 2s out to nitto 555 G2s 305/35/19 all the way around with no issues. The gap looks better too. No rubbing issues either other than one time at high speed in normal mode on a very rough hard corner. Just a slight touch that one time. On a track it has never rubbed.
So you are running 305/35's on the oem PP2 wheels? Have any pics you can share of your setup? I have been thinking about doing a 305/35 square setup on a new set of 19x11 wheels all around. If 305/35's will work on the oem wheels, I may just do that for a bit and then get some 19x11 Apex wheels when the black Friday sales hit in a couple of months.

Thanks,

Doug

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Yeah, that is the only person I know of, but I believe there is another thread where he said he does have a slight rub. Guess I need to find out where his is rubbing and see how much room I have there because of the different inner fenders. I was hoping someone with an actual PP2 would comment if they have any rubbing at all. I would love to see just how different the inner fender liners are between the two.
He had some rubbing with the j&m springs but I think he solved it by switching to less aggresive drop gt350 springs.
Yep that was me. I actually ran the 295/35 front and 305/35 rears on both stock GT350 wheels and the PP2 wheels. Different offsets between the two. Zero rubbing with the stock suspension and the GT350 wheels. @Jonyxz is right, I did get a little rubbing in the front with the PP2 wheels but that was with a 7/8" drop spring. Now running the GT350 springs which gave me about 3/8" drop, and solid as a rock, no rubbing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yep, stock PP2 wheels on a PP2 car...no issues with the 305/35s. Here's a couple side shots of them so you can see the gap.
Thanks for the pics. That looks awesome, I think you just sold me on 305/35's all around! Is your suspension all stock? You mentioned you did have a slight rub in a high speed rough corner, did it rub on the fender itself, of the inner liner? I will end up going with Michelin Pilot Super Sprits and by looking at online specs, they appear to be slightly smaller then the Nitro's. Smaller by hundredths, but still smaller!

I think I will run them on the stock wheels for now, but hopefully Apex Wheels will have a good Black Friday sale so i can upgrade to 19x11's all around!

Thanks again and nice car by the way!

Doug

OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Well, just saw in another thread that LMR was selling leftover 19x11 SVE SP2's on eBay. Just bought a set of four, going 19x11 with 305/35 square, just need to get spacers and extended studs for the front.

Doug

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks for the pics. That looks awesome, I think you just sold me on 305/35's all around! Is your suspension all stock? You mentioned you did have a slight rub in a high speed rough corner, did it rub on the fender itself, of the inner liner? I will end up going with Michelin Pilot Super Sprits and by looking at online specs, they appear to be slightly smaller then the Nitro's. Smaller by hundredths, but still smaller!

I think I will run them on the stock wheels for now, but hopefully Apex Wheels will have a good Black Friday sale so i can upgrade to 19x11's all around!

Thanks again and nice car by the way!

Doug
Thanks. Yes stock magnaride suspension. It just barely touched the very inside of the fender. Didnt even rub the paint. Just left a shiney spot around the very edge of the tire. If I had been in track mod I doubt it would have rubbed at all.

OP
OP

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
So ended up going to Discount Tire last Saturday. Unfortunately, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the 305/35r19 size are on nationwide backorder. Six stores showed they had some in stock, but the salesman called each of them and none of them actually had them, so no go on that size. Ended up going with 295/35r19's Super Sports all around, should be at the store late this week or early next week.

Still planned on installing them on the OEM rims. I actually would rather have the Ford Performance black wheels in the PP2 sizes, think black would look better than the oem gray on my Magnetic Metallic car. I could always powder coat the oem wheels, but figure I could buy a set of the Ford wheels, take them to Discount tire to get the tires mounted, then just bring them home and install them myself, then sell my oem wheels/tires as a complete set, might just be an easier sale. CJ Pony Parts had the best price on the Ford wheels I could find, and for the last few weeks, they had them listed as not in stock. Over the weekend they popped up as in stock at their West Coast location, which I believe is in Las Vegas, NV, where I live. Figured I could get them relatively quick since they just have to ship across town. Ordered them Monday afternoon, but order still shows as pending, two days and they haven't shipped yet. May just have to go with my original plan of powder coating the oem wheels and cancel my order with CJ if they don't ship by Friday.

As I mention in my other post last week, I did order four SVE SP2 19x11 wheels, tracking says they should be here today. May just hold onto them for a while, not sure I want to add extended studs and spacers to my brand new car just yet, would like to get a few thousand miles on her first in case there are any early issues with the car.

Doug
Sponsored