PP2 OWNER EXPERIENCES - RAVES/QUIRKS

akitteh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaakko
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Picking my PP2 up tomorrow. Can't wait! It arrived 5 days sooner than Ford tracking estimated. Dealer sent some pics, quality is not great, but I think it looks amazing :party: - but that right front tire looks off - is that a thumb-size hole at 1 o'clock? I guess I'll find out tomorrow...

20190412_150047 (002).jpg
20190412_150101 (002).jpg
20190412_150152 (002).jpg
20190412_150026001 (002).jpg
Sponsored

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
Probably just a rock in those SC2's. It's going to happen often as they are super sticky. I took mine off at 1k miles and replaced with PS4S's. Part of me wish I kept the SC2's on and just worn them out.

MikeKonaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2
I agree, probably a rock. I pulled my cup 2s off at 400 miles and they had rocks stuck all over deep in them. They grab everything. I actually enjoy the car quite a bit more without them. To each their own, I suppose!

akitteh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaakko
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
I agree, probably a rock.
Yeah, must have been a rock or water splash from the wash, or something. The tires are in perfect condition, thankfully. Picked it up today. Man, nothing can describe seeing it for the first time - I picked Velocity blue sight unseen, and had only seen one or two around town till now. It's perfect. No photo does the color justice, I could not be more happy.

MVIMG_20190413_130027.jpg

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Nice!
Looks like there is now 3 PP2's in the immediate area :)..

Sponsored

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
BTW, I like my PSC2's. I will be replacing them with the 102Y spec PSC2's when these are toast, probably after the next couple track days.

akitteh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaakko
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
BTW, I like my PSC2's. I will be replacing them with the 102Y spec PSC2's when these are toast, probably after the next couple track days.
I've been trying to find out what the factory SC2 is exactly. Is it a custom compound for Ford, or is there an exact aftermarket replacement? For the street I'm looking at PS4S or similar eventually.

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I've been trying to find out what the factory SC2 is exactly. Is it a custom compound for Ford, or is there an exact aftermarket replacement? For the street I'm looking at PS4S or similar eventually.
My understanding is they are the 98Y spec tires, but not positive.
On tirerack they sell two tires, 98Y and 102Y. The 102Y is about $50 more a tire ($450), but they have a heavier load rating for the Porsche spec, and from the pics somewhere on this site, they have more tread on the tire than the 98Y.
People are reporting them lasting twice as long at the track, basically getting double the amount of track days on them (8-10 days vs. 4-5 days), which is worth the extra money for them to me..

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
BTW, if you have the option of having 2 sets of tires/wheels (I will some day), then PS4S would also be the tire of my choice for the DD/street stuff.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My understanding is they are the 98Y spec tires, but not positive.
On tirerack they sell two tires, 98Y and 102Y. The 102Y is about $50 more a tire ($450), but they have a heavier load rating for the Porsche spec, and from the pics somewhere on this site, they have more tread on the tire than the 98Y.
The 98Y is a SL tire and the 102Y tire is an XL tire. The difference may not be what those numbers suggest at first glance.

The 98 in SL and 102 in XL rated load vs inflation tables are essentially identical up to 36 psi (which is the upper end of the 98 SL table). The XL tire continues to gain rated load capacity up to 42 psi where the 102 XL table stops.

Rated load may really be a "load at some rated deflection" thing . . .

Norm

Sponsored

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
The 98Y is a SL tire and the 102Y tire is an XL tire. The difference may not be what those numbers suggest at first glance.

The 98 in SL and 102 in XL rated load vs inflation tables are essentially identical up to 36 psi (which is the upper end of the 98 SL table). The XL tire continues to gain rated load capacity up to 42 psi where the 102 XL table stops.

Rated load may really be a "load at some rated deflection" thing . . .

Norm
Good info, thanks Norm..

akitteh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaakko
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
Thanks for the info to both of you. Looks like I have my plan set. Have to take a breather before any second set of rims though :-) I'll probably wear these first ones out on the street, maybe they will make first track day.

767.mph

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stromspeed.com
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
1965 FFR Cobra, ‘21 Mustang Mach-1
Couple questions for my fellow PP2 owners:

Q1: Oil Temp Gauge: What's y'alls take on no Oil Temp gauge in the 18+ cars? This drives me nuts. Want to know when I can get on it once on track. Water gauge info doesn't do it for me. Plus I want to know my exact temps. Thoughts?

Q2: Rock Guards: Given these Cup-2 tires are duct tape for the street and slinging rocks everywhere, any unique rock guard installs? I like what the GT350's have on the rear tires as stock (that tiny lip). I don't want to put something on that makes me look like a Subi (no offense, I'm just not AWD! :))

Q3: Diff Temp Issues: Anyone having temp issue on track? I'm still waiting to break-in, but have been reading some issues with diff overheating after a few laps. Any diff cooler installs by anyone?

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
It would be nice to have a numbered gauge but there is a bar gauge in the menu system you can get to.

I've also noticed that my LC does not illuminate until several minutes of driving. I'm guessing at that point the oil temp is up. I'm guessing it is locked out until the temp comes up then the LC lights up giving you the ability to activate it once up to temp.

m0.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ulixes
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT PP2

Q3: Diff Temp Issues: Anyone having temp issue on track? I'm still waiting to break-in, but have been reading some issues with diff overheating after a few laps. Any diff cooler installs by anyone?
The Full Tilt Boogie one is the one I keep seeing being posted around a few threads (See this thread as an example).

There might be others though.
Sponsored