Sponsored

PP vs Non-PP

ecoboostFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Hi does anyone know the difference between these two?
I understand the parts difference, but how does that apply. If a non-pp took on a pp on the freeway what would happen?
Or even dyno tests on the two.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
If you're speeding down the freeway and a deer runs across the PP will stop faster than the non PP :)

gregoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Conv
And ladders! This morning, on the freeway, a ladder flew off a truck 5 car lengths in front of me. The PP came in handy to brake and swerve (and traction control to keep me straight ahead)

Noobtastic14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB ruby red
I pretty much based my PP vs non-PP Ecoboost on three things.

1)Gears. The PP version is geared more for acceleration and the nonPP is geared more for low RPM highway speed/mpg. I decided that my daily driver that will never see a race track or drag strip and was fine with the non PP gears. I still feel like the car is plenty fast enough for spirited driving around town or on twisty roads.

2)Brakes. The PP has larger brakes (the ones that come standard on the base GT). This means the car can stop faster and the brakes will last longer under intense repeat braking. I think the standard brakes work great for daily use and because I won't be on a race track putting excessive stress on the braking system, I opted for the nonPP.

3)Suspension. The PP gets base GT suspension which is more stiff and better for handling. This one is tricky because I would like the handling improvement but it comes at the cost of ride quality. Test driving the PP version I had to figure out which was more important. Because the wife drives the car to work every day and I take it for driving on the weekend, she decided the ride comfort was more important than the max handling capability.

Overall I think I have a fast fun daily driver that will never reach a place where I kick myself in the ass for not having big brakes, stiff suspension, and slightly better acceleration.

There are more changes (subframe, radiator size,etc.) but those are the big three that I based my decision on.

-Drew

**Remember, this is 2015 and this car in any flavor is VERY capable. The base V6 is still not a BAD car, you just need to decide if you're actually going reach a place where you will overwork the stock setup and NEED the excess that the PP offers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ecoboostFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Ecoboost Premium
Yeah the gear i didnt really care but the everything else was nice, but still i do love my car!
Thanks for breaking it down and explaining your buying decision process

Noobtastic14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB ruby red
No problem!

I'm glad I could help.

-Drew

DarthLepard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
To me the PP was a no brainer.

The gearing really makes the car "feel" a bunch more fun. I will very seldom race on a track, but the seat of the pants is important to me.

Brakes are also important, you can down play it all you like, but all I know is that if a semi halts in front of me quick, I would much rather stop with it smashing in my nose to the hood line instead of smashing in the whole front back to the firewall, but I am kind of a safety snob being with Toyota as long as I have been.

Suspension, once again I am not racing anything, and honestly I drive them side by side several different times (dealer was cool and let me hop in and out of both several times by myself) and I just couldn't "feel" the difference. Maybe a little, but I would think if I felt a "little" it was more in my head than anything.

No where are the things that haven't been mentioned. Sooner or later I was going to put some rims and tires on it, that's just what I do. So the 19's on the PP look good and fulfill that purpose. And if I ever want some customs I can sell the PP rims and tires and eat up a lot of the cost of a new set. Also, the PP gives me a boost gauge from the factory. That is kind of important to me since I have ran turbo car's for a while and just can't imagine driving around with no boost gauge, especially if I put a tune on like I planned.

Now all the things mentioned before hand plus the rims/tires and boost gauge made me think to myself the $1900 is a bargain for the things you are getting. Couldn't even come close to replicating that aftermarket for that price.

That was just my take of course.

turtleboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB
PP for $1995 is a steal for everything you get even if you dont track the car. On my back to back test drives there was one turn where I could really notice the PP pack car was flat through the turn vs the non PP car had noticeable body roll. PP for me was a must have option.

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
Motortrend talks about the differences as they tested an automatic with PP and a stick non-PP:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1503_2015_ford_mustang_ecoboost_23_manual_first_test/

I chose to not get the PP with my ecoboost. Even though I wouldn't cement a magazines tests as this is the best the car can do. (Car and Driver tested better acceleration times than motortrend for example) It overall didn't help win me over to spend the extra $ for the package as per motortrend's results. Plus I don't like the 19's either, so there's that too.
But you can't really go wrong either way. Whatever feels better to you.

Sponsored

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I chose the non-PP car and opted for the 50th Anniversary Package instead. Love the 19" bright wheels.

My opinion on this is that if you plan to modify your car with a 'tune' then you want the larger radiator for sure. The rest of the bits are buildable but at cost.

As for the gearing, in the manual you get a 3.31:1 differential and the PP comes with a 3.55:1. That gives a bit more launch but at the expense of needing to shift to 3rd before you hit 60 MPH. That makes the 0-60 time appear slower. 1/4 mile time is quicker.

The Auto comes with the 3.15:1 differential so the PP gives you a good boost with the 3.55:1.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
- the base level Mustang is more capable than 90% of the vehicles on the road without the PP.
- the PP is being used as a status symbol by some; a right of passage. Not so much in this forum but in other forums if you do not have a base level GT PP car you are ostracized. Not sure why but it is something to keep in mind.
- some really like the black wheels, I do not. If you like black wheels then this is a good way to get them.
- the PP comes with 'summer only tires.' Easily fixed by buying different tires but if you use you car in wet/snowy/below 40 F environments then you will NEED different tires.

Either way it is like ice cream with fudge and whipped cream (non-PP) or adding a cherry (the PP). They are both excellent!

Reactions: kz

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Pp also adds the boost/ oil gauges.

STREETMASTERS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2.3
Pp should have brembos...it doesn't. Saving money on and passing on pp to upgrade with parts I really want...seems a waste. To each their own. I myself can't justify it

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
To all, the non-PP still has the 'gauge mode' in the center message display which can show the boost gauge. I am not sure about oil pressure but there is also intake air temp, cylinder head temp, a/f ratio, etc... The PP gives you two dedicated gauges between the middle AC vents.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
The suspension of the pp is far stiffer than that of the non PP for spirited driving. Before I even drove a PP I tested a non PP and thought the ride was too bouncy
Sponsored