Sponsored

PP Mustang and winter

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Summer tires can be driven in the winter without issues, but there is always a chance of tire damage the colder the temperature gets. Usually the damage is limited to cracking, and if the cracks are severe and deep enough in the layers of rubber, chunking in another risk.

Does this mean you can't drive a Mustang in the winter, no, but as with any vehicle, you need to winterize your vehicle with appropriate windshield washer fluid and anti-freeze percentage/content in extreme climates, and of course, tires.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Wrong. The manual states that they should not be driven in conditions under 45*F as you'll risk them cracking/chunking.
In our former climate, it never got below about 28 but got into the high 30s pretty regularly. I drove summer tires on Fox Mustangs and an Infiniti G35 for 20 years or more with never an issue. Goodyear Gatorbacks, Michelin PS2s, a couple of sets of BFG Comp T/A, Some variety of Yokohama I can't recall anymore, and a set of Falkens. Never an issue, except they got a little slippery in the cold.

So, whatever the manual says, I don't think summer tires self-destruct at 40 degrees. I do think you need to be careful, and trade them out for something more appropriate in a real winter scene.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You better be careful one of those tires could blow any second! Might be injured if you are too close or driving by. Lol this 45 degrees never stops being funny and doesn't happen on any other forum besides this one.

Reactions: kz

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You better be careful one of those tires could blow any second! Might be injured if you are too close or driving by. Lol this 45 degrees never stops being funny and doesn't happen on any other forum besides this one.
That"s because they think there S550 Mustang is made out of gold,and is worth storing for winter, and it is the BEST Mustang ever made,it does make for some entertaining reading though!

Sponsored

OP
OP

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Think this is a joke. Our Ford and Pirelli manual warns of under 45f use. When something does happen, where do you think the lawyer line will form. I think Ford went through a big problem with tires and people getting killed a few years ago.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
The temps here in Massachusetts are typically below 45 degrees for 4 to 5 months of the year. I drove my S/C'd 06 GTO on MPSS during that time for 2 yrs with no cracking/chunking. I just didn't get on it until the tires were warmed up.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Think this is a joke. Our Ford and Pirelli manual warns of under 45f use. When something does happen, where do you think the lawyer line will form. I think Ford went through a big problem with tires and people getting killed a few years ago.
You realize that all summer tires on every performance car discourage use in cold temps right?

OP
OP

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
After reading the owners manuals and information on this site, it only figures all tire manufacturers are in the same boat with the summer only tires. I'm not here to argue with anyone or tell them what to do. All I'm saying is when these dealers keep the cars outside and when something happens the lawyers are gonna be all over it. And if memory serves, the lawsuits Ford had years ago were due to under inflated tires. And I think that's what got the ball rolling on tpms

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
... the lawyers are gonna be all over it. And if memory serves, the lawsuits Ford had years ago were due to under inflated tires. And I think that's what got the ball rolling on tpms
^ this

Ford will happily sell you a 435hp 1G car for cheap, but they will want to avoid the lawyers (CYA) if you do something outside of spec, such as drift on black ice toward the 18-wheeler truck

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
any more detail on the crash? Lucky the guy didn't roll the car
it's an austin texas car. temps today are in the 40s. from the damage of the car, you can see that he was going pretty fast around a corner. he says the rear stepped out and he lost control

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its also wet down here in Austin... Colder and wetter than usual and honestly we don't get as much practice in the cold/wet as you northerners do, plus the roads are built to survive summer, not really so much for grip in the winter. You should see the terror when it actually dusts snow.

My PP Pirellis (2000 miles fresh on a new car) were doing just fine in these conditions (45 degrees and drizzling), and I'll easily drive them through the winter, with the exception of the possible solitary snow/ice day we might have.

I've had summer tires that were dangerous in the cold, and simply did not have traction you would expect when temps got too low. Often times these tires were also hardened from a prior summer's worth of heat cycles. These newish PZeros are fine so far in the not-too cold conditions we claim to call winter down here.

If I were in a climate that got snow, dedicated winter tires would be the way to go.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Doesn't matter what tires you have on your car....you will lose control of your car if you don't use your head.
Sponsored