Sponsored

Poor Sirius reception?

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
SIRIUS/XM has SERIOUS ISSUES

I currently have 3 cars with Sirius/XM and I've come to learn all the local spots that block the reception. My new mustang loses it's connections in all of them, but at least twice as many more. It was so bad at first I thought there may be a loose connection, but I soon realized it was always at the same spots. One is on a major highway with absolutely no overpass or building in sight.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm having the same Sirius problems on my 2016 GT350. AND....I had the same issue in 2010 on my Fusion Hybrid. The only difference this time is that the problem is much worse than it was 6 years ago. The reception breaks up so often that I don't even use it anymore, even though it is free during the trial period. What I cannot understand at all is how are they still in business with such a pathetic product that is consistently inconsistent? I could go on for a few more paragraphs, but my blood pressure rises with each sentence.
:(
Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
So I'm pretty upset.

Ford is now saying that they wont be doing anything to fix the issue in my car.

They say cutting out in some spots is normal. They wont admit that cutting out 25 times in a 30 mile span is insanely poor signal quality.

I am picking up my car, 12 days later, with no resolution.

Based on the service here, I can't see being a repeat Ford customer.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So I'm pretty upset.

Ford is now saying that they wont be doing anything to fix the issue in my car.

They say cutting out in some spots is normal. They wont admit that cutting out 25 times in a 30 mile span is insanely poor signal quality.

I am picking up my car, 12 days later, with no resolution.

Based on the service here, I can't see being a repeat Ford customer.
That is truly a LAME response, for sure. Call Sirius if you want to top that for lameness. Sever ties with that dealer, for sure, but remember it is 100% a Sirius problem that has been ongoing since they leveraged out XM and monopolized the market. But your dealer's response to the problem clearly shows they have issues as well.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That is truly a LAME response, for sure. Call Sirius if you want to top that for lameness. Sever ties with that dealer, for sure, but remember it is 100% a Sirius problem that has been ongoing since they leveraged out XM and monopolized the market. But your dealer's response to the problem clearly shows they have issues as well.
I know Sirius has degraded over the years, but my traded in Audi S5 and my fiancee's 2014 Focus with MFT are 100000% better than my 2016 Mustang.

The issue exists on F150 and Escape with Sync 3
http://www.fordescape.org/forum/ele...-satellite-radio-cutting-out-2016-escape.html

http://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync-3-sirius-reception-issue-324633/

The issue also existed on the MKC, but was found to be an antenna issue:

http://www.mkcforum.com/forum/lincoln-mkc-reported-issues/18993-sirius-satellite-radio-issues.html

https://insidetowers.com/andy-seybold-offers-solution-to-t-mobile-siriusxm-interference/

So, I know Ford knows more than we do, but the lack of information is what makes me so upset. I can't be the only person who's taken their car in for this issue...

@FordIVTeam has also not been able to get me information

cirrus1ag

Hondo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hondo
Vehicle(s)
White 2016 GT/CS
I, and I suspect many others have the same issue. I'm not a law suit kind of guy but this one is shaping up to be a class action. That would really disappoint me that it had to go that far. FoMoCo didn't take any bailout money and I am not trying to start a political post. I have been a Ford loyalist all my life, this is really disappointing. Ford watches this forum, hopefully they will get the point and not end up like GM and all their issues. No rhyme or reason to mine cutting, can't determine a pattern, I suspect it is an antenna issue. In airplanes direction of flight in some areas can cause the airplane to "blank out" the antenna. I have paid attention to factors like direction and 'other' issues that might block the signal and I haven't come up with any.

Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I am curious if the antenna used in our cars is Sirius or SiriusXM. I wonder if this is very similar to the MKC issue as I mentioned above. They have had great results solving their issues with the new antenna.

I wonder if I can buy a standard Sirius antenna and connect it to the APIM to test.

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My dealers Sales Manger got involved and they're going to continue to keep my car.

I will update anyone if there are any changes. My 30 days for CA State Lemon Law are coming up quick, so this may be a short lived trip with the Mustang...

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Nothing substantial. Took the car home last Thursday. The Ford engineer is supposedly assigned to the case, but I don't know what will come from that.

My regional CS rep is supposed to call me today, so we'll see if that happens too.

In doing some more digging, I did find out that the Escape has a new part for the main antenna, starting with cars built after 12/2/15. I am curious if this is related. Could it be an internally known issue? And I know there are lots of users on the Escape forum with Sirius troubles in their 2016's with Sync 3.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Interesting. We bought a 2015 Escape built in March or April of 2015 and its reception is night and day better than mine.

Sponsored

mbaran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, the issue seems to exist with Sync 3 cars, but the antenna was the same on the Escape for all cars Sync 2 or 3. Until 12/2/15 they got a new antenna.

I wish I knew someone at Ford who could tell the difference, or why it was switched. Like I said, maybe they knew the old antenna doesn't work well on Sync 3 while it worked well with Sync 2.

snarkipus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
According to this post on a Focus forum, the antenna change was supposed to address AM reception issues but also improved everything else.

I'm assuming that P/N 18936 is the revised antenna base you're talking about.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Theoretically the antenna should be independent of 2 or 3 assuming it is powered correctly.

I'll probably look into an aftermarket solution, maybe hook up a better antenna.
Sponsored