Sponsored

Poor resale value

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
From experience, I always felt mustangs are slightly above average in the resale department (unless you buy it brand new with tons of options). Just say hypothetically you paid $29K for a new base GT. In about 3 years, you should have a residual of around $18-$19k (mileage pending). Without tax, that equates to roughly $277 in depreciation monthly where most cars in that class would have a residual of around $15-$17k. Just my two cents.
Sponsored

Siggy550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Look at my previous Mustangs signature! Got lucky ($1K less than sticker because I purchased the black one) on returning the 50th at 4 months , which I hated (sorry owners). Dealer ended up taking huge loss on that as it sat for over a year and they dropped price to low 40s trying to offload. My Black S550 for the GT350 ($9K less than purchase 15 months previous with 7K miles). It was a fair trade value for car alone, but I basically lost all my mod value. But when I finished my planned build cost+car, I was at about $53K all-in and decided the GT350 wouldn't need mods, is a better car than I was going to build and value would hold. My EcoBoost I tried to use as a work car for 7 months, $9K less than purchase on trade with 16K miles. Fortunately, mileage reimbursements from work travel covered all that depreciation and no money from my pocket.

From an experienced trade-it-in for another person, here's my general observations for all Mustangs on trade-ins, purchase price add a few grand for dealer:

Year 1 depreciation = almost $10K regardless of mileage
Year 2 depreciation = $5K, maybe less depending on mileage
Years 3+ depreciation = $5K or less

From there, it really levels and slowly depreciates. Old GTs (SN95, Fox Bodies) not beat to shit command almost $10K or more, S197 Coyotes (now 6-7 years old) in good shape still command about 50% of their original price.

Interesting watching the GT350 now. Appears they have depreciated at least $7-8K from MSRP (assumption on trade value based on resale value) and seeing low mileage Track packs hit market and move quickly in low 50's. I'm hoping this car levels quickly in the mid-to-high 40s just so I feel better about my equity more than anything. If they continue building, that's definitely going to hurt it. Makes the previous GT500 more desirable to me from rarity then with only a two year build on that motor. That said, I'd never trade my GT350 for one, it's just so much more exotic (if you've driven one, you know what I mean).

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
The key to beating off some of the depreciation is to NEVER buy a new mustang at anywhere near MSRP. I bought my 2014 GT/CS for $32k out the door in Feb of 2014. Car stickered at just over $39k. I've never been in a situation that I NEED a car right away so I've been able to be patient. I never have any problem finding mustangs selling for 5k or more below MSRP. Might be a regional thing though.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
But then in that scenario ya you beat a lot off the MSRP but that was also a dead model year car that needed to be gone before the 15s arrived. I'm not beating on you...that's a pretty good strategy if you actually planned it that way.

Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
I'm in the same boat really. I build custom cars for a living (all kinds... lot of Mustangs, but I've done about 1 of everything). My personal car is a 2015 PP GT Premium, 50th Edition (non LE). It's got custom body work, paint, wheels, ProCharged, etc. Book value on the car is 36k. Bought new for 44k (literally has every single option). However, I've been offered north of 60k for it... and I've got 20k miles on the car.

60k is about my break even mark... so I wouldn't be doing myself any favors to unload it there. When I build one like this new, we source direct and modify new, never driven cars. We flip those out at considerably more than $60,000. Mine will likely never be sold. 1) because I hand built it and 2) it's the perfect car for me. If I sell it, I'll just end up rebuilding the exact same car again.

So, talks about selling it go towards, "Hey, really. Just let me build you one. Get yourself a new Mustang, come to me and we'll talk. We can get you a 675-1,100hp Mustang custom built and delivered in 2 weeks from the day you drop it off and it won't be much more than you're trying to buy this one for and nobody will have one like it."

You are still here?!?! WTF! You didn't learn your lesson last time? Please please please go back to your nudes of Rosanne and leave us normal folks alone....

Guys, if you ever see a post from this guy ignore it. He is delusional and even worse gives people terrible advice... "whipple is crap" or "i hand build mustangs and swap between my 3 Procharger head units cause mo powa" just a few quotes...jsut ask him for an ounce of proof to his claims and you will see what i mean **crickets** he blocked his youtube channel because he was getting called out so much... I thought we got rid of him a few months ago....

This guys is a troll...

Azzurro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. Race Red
Really upset That the S550 has no resale value. Even with Performance pack. The Roush conversion doesn't add any resale value. Unless you find that one individual that know what they want. Rant over.
If you want good resale value buy a Toyota Tacoma. I had one, drove it for 7 years and sold it for $5,000 less than I paid for it. Best resale value vehicle I ever bought.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you want good resale value buy a Toyota Tacoma. I had one, drove it for 7 years and sold it for $5,000 less than I paid for it. Best resale value vehicle I ever bought.
Sure take the easy way. I private sold two Oldsmobiles from the late 70's for more than I paid new (without a trade) and drove for about a year each.

joeyd5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Platinum White 2017 Mustang GT Convertible
I was recently looking into leasing a 2017 GT premium convertible with PP, 401A, and back up camera. OTD monthly price including tax and all rebates was $636 for 3 years 10,500 miles a month with Zero Down at Tier 0. If the numbers are the same for the 2018 I may just pull the trigger. As I know after year 3 I will want to get rid of it with no hassles as I keep all my cars in pristine condition. I just wish they had a lower mileage lease available as i would only drive it like 7k Miles a year. Just Curious what other people leasing the GT are paying?

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I was recently looking into leasing a 2017 GT premium convertible with PP, 401A, and back up camera. OTD monthly price including tax and all rebates was $636 for 3 years 10,500 miles a month with Zero Down at Tier 0. If the numbers are the same for the 2018 I may just pull the trigger. As I know after year 3 I will want to get rid of it with no hassles as I keep all my cars in pristine condition. I just wish they had a lower mileage lease available as i would only drive it like 7k Miles a year. Just Curious what other people leasing the GT are paying?
If I paid that much on the used 2015 with those options for 3 years I'd owe 17k on the 15 mustang. You gotta ask yourself is the 18 that much better? You'd end up after 3 years with a 30k plus loan if you wanted to keep it.

Sponsored

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
I thought you cannot lease a GT at least not directly from Ford?

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
Really? I was able to trade-in mine for very close to what I paid for it. Granted, I lost money on the mods I did (and tax/license), but that is to be expected.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
Really upset That the S550 has no resale value. Even with Performance pack. The Roush conversion doesn't add any resale value. Unless you find that one individual that know what they want. Rant over.
It's a Ford not a BMW and the name Roush means nothing to resale value. Do your homework before you make a $40K investment if you're worried about the resale value.:doh:

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
You can lease a GT no problem but the interest rate/Money factor is ridiculous like 6%.
Correct...the lease rates are terrible and cost more in the monthly payment than a 60mth/0% note. But for me the ability to drop it like a hot rock in 36 months is worth it.
Sponsored