Sponsored

Poll: Hard top mustang convertible

If offered, would you purchase a mustang hard top convertible?

• Yes

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
How much trunk space does it need?
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
One the one hand, the Mustang convertible is heavy enough already. On the other hand, the rear window shakes and bounces around a lot when the windows are open, which I don't like. But, I would rather have the shaking and bouncing window than the extra weight.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I don't DO Rag Tops, I Love Rag Tops, I just don't own them.

That said, Yes, I would think about it.

Sound Wave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition MT
Vehicle Showcase
I love convertibles but won’t buy another soft top. Someone slashed the roof on one. My other car ripped at the seam.

I really do wish the Mustang came with a hard top convertible. I definitely would have bought it instead.

Sponsored

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
I don't see much of an advantage to a hard top convertible. I still won't be able to put my kayak on top and it will take up more trunk space. Ford has done a great job with the current soft top - it is quiet, dry, and goes up and down fast. When driving with the top up I really don't notice that it's not a hard top, except for the handling.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
An aluminum retractable hardtop is THE way to go on a modern convertible. As a matter of fact the only reason I do not drive an S550 Mustang convertible is the fact that they changed from vinyl to that hideous cloth roof material that starts to look completely worn and wrinkled after only a few months. Seriously those roofs look terrible. My 95 vinyl top still looks ace.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
An aluminum retractable hardtop is THE way to go on a modern convertible. As a matter of fact the only reason I do not drive an S550 Mustang convertible is the fact that they changed from vinyl to that hideous cloth roof material that starts to look completely worn and wrinkled after only a few months. Seriously those roofs look terrible. My 95 vinyl top still looks ace.
Huh, The top on my 15 still looks good.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
With the announcement of the 2020 Corvette retractable hardtop convertible, would you buy a mustang version if offered?
i would consider... one of the main reasons I sold my mustang was to purchase a hard top vert.

I love the hard top look... like having two cars. Not that much slower... at least not what you can “feel”. But then, who really buys a vert for real track time?

I had to buy a BMW to get a nice hard top with speed though... then tuned it. LOL.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
i would consider... one of the main reasons I sold my mustang was to purchase a hard top vert.

I love the hard top look... like having two cars. Not that much slower... at least not what you can “feel”. But then, who really buys a vert for real track time?

I had to buy a BMW to get a nice hard top with speed though... then tuned it. LOL.
I cross shopped between the bmw and mustang, but I just had to get the better looking car.

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I cross shopped between the bmw and mustang, but I just had to get the better looking car.
I like the way both of them look. Many mustangs on the road now though... but I think it is a look that will carry and age well. I'm still a fan of the mustang.

Guys seem to like mustangs... when I'd be filling up on gas and a guy would come over and say "nice car" or "how fast" or "I remember...". Got old quick.

Ladies like my current car... which is great. Never gets old. Guys always say a version of "how much" or "wish I could afford that"... which is ridiculous...

End of the day, does not matter... Mustang does not have a hard top vert so there you go. I got what worked "for me"... lol

bdm219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1, 401A, AE, B&O
I wouldn't buy one personally. What I would love to see is a targa top option on the mustang.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the look of my 2006 convertible Mustang with the top up. Something about notchback sporty cars tickles my pleasure centers. So when I read "hard top Mustang convertible" I flashed back to the era when "hardtop" meant a coupe (or sedan!) without a B pillar.

Put me down for one of each.
Mustang2006TopUpRRV.jpg
1958-Ford-Fairlane-american-classics--Car-101221241-2cfbe3a90b30d3e248b18c8447bcbf1b.jpg

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Huh, The top on my 15 still looks good.
When I traded my '16 GT convertible after 4 years, it looked mint, nothing like what that poster was describing, my '19 has several months on it, top still looks perfect.

*shrug*

Yeah, so per a recent post about convertible top implementations, I mentioned how I cross shopped the M3 cab for a short while, and I think that's probably a good design reference for the downsides to a hardtop: it's a good bit heavier (relatively speaking), it adds a bit of complexity (and cost), plus it devastates the trunk space, top up, a few suitcases, top down, maybe a lunchbox :D

Like someone pointed out, Ford did a terrific job with the convertible top, when it's up, it's quiet, nicely insulated, it looks finished, it goes up/down quickly, and the position doesn't affect the trunk space.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The Porsche "soft top" is actually a 3 piece magnesium shell with a cloth covering. They do this because most people who buy convertibles want them to look like convertibles, not hard tops.
Sponsored