Sponsored

Motor1 Camaro SS vs Mustang GT: Top-Down Tussle (Convertible review)

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Not sure if this should go to the Vs section since it’s a side-by-side review? ANYWAY:

Is it me, or does the one guy seem kinda biased...? Like, it’s fine to pick one over the other, I rarely complain about that... but his reasons seem... silly. :shrug: (as in he was searching for excuses to pick one over the other)
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It was fun for me to watch this video because it was filmed in Detroit and I recognized so much of the scenery as they drove around. I can tell it was done VERY recently because

1. The Hot Wheels 50th Anniversary models are just starting to get out to customers
  2. Some of their Belle Isle footage clearly shows preparations for the Detroit Grand Prix. Ironically, I had my Camaro Convertible on the Grand Prix course yesterday. I get over to the island a few times a week to ride my bike on the island. Two laps is just over 11 miles.

The smaller clean shaven guy clearly didn't spend any time learning the top function. The window switches he complained about having to use to lower the windows before lowering the top DO NOT NEED TO BE USED TO LOWER THE WINDOWS. The top can be lowered by pushing one button. Period. The windows go down when you push the button to operate the top. And it can be lowered at speeds up to 31 miles/hour, so the whole "hassle to have to get out and adjust the panel" issue is a non-issue. You only need to do that if you have so much stuff in the trunk that you shouldn't lower it anyway. In my 16 months with my car, that has happened exactly twice (golf clubs and groceries). Otherwise, just leave the panel up.

You can also raise the top with the same one button push, again, up to 31 mph. You do need to use the window switches to raise the windows. Boo hoo. I'll take that trade off.

One thing they both neglected to mention is that the fuel economy is really pretty much a tie. Over my 16 months, I'm averaging right around 20 mpg combined. And there are a couple single digit mpg track days folded in there :D I have the A8, so the LT1 has cylinder deactivation. That helps the fuel economy big-time. The 6MT does not have cylinder deactivation, thus the big difference in FE.

Other than that, I think both reviewers were pretty fair in their assessments. The bigger bearded guy was clearly leaning "Camaro" going in. The smaller clean shaven guy was clearly leaning "Mustang" going in. Their final verdicts were, therefore, very predictable.

I might have a chance to drive a GT PP1 convertible today. If I do, I'll check back in with my thoughts. It'll be interesting. Car stickers at $58k +. My car stickered at $55k+ and has more options. :shrug:

Here's a shot from my dashcam from my spin on the Grand Prix track yesterday, as well as a shot of how I typically roll at Belle Isle.
On Grand Prix track.png
Bike Trip.jpg

Last edited:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They definitely both seemed biased, so yeah, not a big surprise how each felt.

On the Camaro top, I don't know about the buttons, but I do know that we had someone visiting my office who had a 6-gen Camaro convertible rental and it took us about an hour to figure out how to lower the top. None of the buttons seemed to work, and I think it finally came down to some divider that had to be moved in the trunk, or something like that. It just wasn't intuitive.

Yet again, visibility out of the Camaro was hammered, so I don't know how anyone can say it's not an issue - virtually every review brings it up as a significant issue.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
The Camaro violates one my key convertible requirements (after having several): that the available trunk space _not_ change based on the top position (I briefly cross shopped an M3, nope, the hardtop consumes the trunk when down).

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Camaro violates one my key convertible requirements (after having several): that the available trunk space _not_ change based on the top position (I briefly cross shopped an M3, nope, the hardtop consumes the trunk when down).
Yeah, if trunk space is an issue, then Mustang wins hands down, coupe or convertible. I’m just in a situation where if I need trunk space, I have other options. Even so, I am a musician and often take the Camaro to practices and gigs, carrying one or two bass guitars, an amplifier, and a gear bag with cables, pedals, microphones etc.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They definitely both seemed biased, so yeah, not a big surprise how each felt.

On the Camaro top, I don't know about the buttons, but I do know that we had someone visiting my office who had a 6-gen Camaro convertible rental and it took us about an hour to figure out how to lower the top. None of the buttons seemed to work, and I think it finally came down to some divider that had to be moved in the trunk, or something like that. It just wasn't intuitive.

Yet again, visibility out of the Camaro was hammered, so I don't know how anyone can say it's not an issue - virtually every review brings it up as a significant issue.
IME it is very noticeable when you first get in the car, especially if you’re coming out of a vehicle with a large greenhouse. Within a half hour of driving it, you realize you can see everything you need to see, no problem. Especially if your mirrors are set correctly. Then, when you get back into a large greenhouse vehicle, you’re like “oh yeah, I can see a lot more here”. For me, the transition is really seamless.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
That is a pretty tough hard requirement. The top has to go somewhere. Let's face it, a convertible is pretty much the definition of impractical. It has no advantage other than the wind blowing in your hair. Convertibles are (almost always) heavier, more expensive, less rigid, mechanically complicated, and colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.

OP
OP
Spork3245

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
That is a pretty tough hard requirement. The top has to go somewhere. Let's face it, a convertible is pretty much the definition of impractical. It has no advantage other than the wind blowing in your hair. Convertibles are (almost always) heavier, more expensive, less rigid, mechanically complicated, and colder in the winter and hotter in the summer.
Except the Mustang has the same amount of trunk space regardless as to whether the top is up or down. :p

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
IME it is very noticeable when you first get in the car, especially if you’re coming out of a vehicle with a large greenhouse. Within a half hour of driving it, you realize you can see everything you need to see, no problem. Especially if your mirrors are set correctly. Then, when you get back into a large greenhouse vehicle, you’re like “oh yeah, I can see a lot more here”. For me, the transition is really seamless.
It's been said before, anyone can get used to something. I mean, people drive vans with only a windshield and driver and passenger windows and nothing else (I have one filled with candy to lure in children), so it can be done, but that doesn't make it desirable.

I think it hurts the Camaro because when people get in it if they are considering buying one, they don't sit in it for 30 minutes. They get in it, feel restricted and then pass on it.

But again, virtually *every* review brings it up, even by people who like the Camaro, so to say it's not an issue doesn't seem to represent the majority opinion.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
And less attractive.. no offense... but I could never own a soft top on a car with such smooth, sexy lines like a Mustang or Camaro, or anything in the sports class.

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And less attractive.. no offense... but I could never own a soft top on a car with such smooth, sexy lines like a Mustang or Camaro, or anything in the sports class.
This is actually one of the main reasons I prefer the Camaro convertible to the Mustang convertible. The profile with top up is very close to the profile of the coupe. Not so with the Mustang. It looks more like a notchback. Can’t imagine how Ford could carry over those nice fastback lines to a convertible.
C6341C2A-204E-4F58-8A8C-D126D2886386.jpeg

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
This is actually one of the main reasons I prefer the Camaro convertible to the Mustang convertible. The profile with top up is very close to the profile of the coupe. Not so with the Mustang. It looks more like a notchback. Can’t imagine how Ford could carry over those nice fastback lines to a convertible.
I'll agree with ya there. I also thought in the side by side view the Camaro has a slightly sleeker side profile with the top down. But I struggle really hard on the rear of the Camaro. I feel like it got lost somewhere in the design and they just came up with something last minute. And the 2019 refresh for the Camaro honestly isn't looking much better.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, the Ford folks should have carried over the look, for me it gets lost with the convertible, doesn't look right. Nothing wrong with it, just not my style.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree as well, the Camaro convertible looks much more like the coupe than the Mustang convertible. Even if there weren't all the other issues with owning a convertible, (generally heavier, less stiff, etc.), I wouldn't own a Mustang convertible because of the looks when the top is up.