Sponsored

GT500 feels slow. How much power before it loses balance?

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
This is probably what I'll do, a 2.6 pulley with my cat deletes and JLT intake, plus tune. I already have the nGauge, just haven't installed it yet for warranty reasons. At this point, this option is just the cost of the pulley. I'd like to get a couple k on the clock just to shake things out.

If I decide to run ethanol for a track option then I'll do the ported blower/TB, injectors and rail.

I can't imagine I go beyond this, maybe a better intercooler. See this is where it snowballs....

It does seem like some of you guys feel a hair insulted, but me saying the car feels sluggish. don't be insulted, it's a work of art that I'm in love with, it just needs a bit more power.
Its understandable why you feel the car is slow coming from a 9 second termi. The termi is nowhere near as refined or as smooth as the 2020 so 9 seconds in a termi feels faster than 8s in a 2020, I get it. As for others.... Assholes and opinions, yea?
As for what to do IMO to not tip the balance would be what another member suggested with pulley/tune. Maybe go 2.85 and tune if you're going to beat it a bit and not go with e85. You wont come near tipping the balance. I would also consider a set of toyos or equally aggressive tires even if you stay stock. If you run the e85 and injector route a smaller pulley will do fine. Other members on here, myself included are or were at the 850 tire mark. I can tell you, the balance is not tipped at that point. After that I can not personally speak on. Good luck, happy modding!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
This is probably what I'll do, a 2.6 pulley with my cat deletes and JLT intake, plus tune. I already have the nGauge, just haven't installed it yet for warranty reasons.
You're probably, very highly likely, going to be driving around with the lights on in your car if you do cat deletes. No tuners are gonna really touch that car. lol Not sure if you are aware, but the EPA is cracking down on emissions defeat devices hardcore lately.
nGauge is out of business as well. Not sure if tuners are still using them. Maybe some are?

OP
OP
JCDriller

JCDriller

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerad
Vehicle(s)
97 Cobra, 2001 Saleen, 2003 Cobra, 2020 GT500 CFTP
You're probably, very highly likely, going to be driving around with the lights on in your car if you do cat deletes. No tuners are gonna really touch that car. lol Not sure if you are aware, but the EPA is cracking down on emissions defeat devices hardcore lately.
nGauge is out of business as well. Not sure if tuners are still using them. Maybe some are?
I just broke 1050 miles today with zero lights. It’s not hard to defeat the idiot lights And just because they quit making ngauge doesn’t mean that people won’t tune them.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I just broke 1050 miles today with zero lights. It’s not hard to defeat the idiot lights And just because they quit making ngauge doesn’t mean that people won’t tune them.
They'll tune them,......but probably not with the nGauge is what I meant. Sorry, I wasn't clear there.
Especially if catless. I'll be highly surprised.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
LMAO! Before even reading the OP, the first thing I did was start scrolling down to find your response. Not disappointed.
I've done something right if I can draw out a chuckle from thousands of miles away. Cheers.
:)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've done something right if I can draw out a chuckle from thousands of miles away. Cheers.
:)
Your lesson (or pet peeve :) ) is now deeply implanted within us, alongside those imparted by all our other great grammar teachers (e.g., "very unique"...unique = one of a kind. So, very unique is redundant...etc. etc.) :)

Edit: oops. Used i.e. when it should have been e.g. Fixed it.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crazy how as time passes everything seems to become more lax. I remember being taught how "ain't" isn't a word and that we should never say or write "ass." Today that is as mild as it gets.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Crazy how as time passes everything seems to become more lax. I remember being taught how "ain't" isn't a word and that we should never say or write "ass." Today that is as mild as it gets.
Even if your talking about a mule? 😉

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or a donkey (can't say jackass).

Ooh, another one.

Hey dude, that's a mute point.
You mean moot point?
No, mute.
Like, you can't hear the point?
No, like it doesn't matter.
Then you mean moot.
It's pronounced "mute" you dummy.
I give up...

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT500, 2021 Jeep Trackhawk
Or a donkey (can't say jackass).

Ooh, another one.

Hey dude, that's a mute point.
You mean moot point?
No, mute.
Like, you can't hear the point?
No, like it doesn't matter.
Then you mean moot.
It's pronounced "mute" you dummy.
I give up...
Or I had my vehicle "toad", instead of towed.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
In 7th grade, my English teacher told me to go home and write,

"I won't use ain't anymore"

a THOUSAND times. I did it on a typewriter. :-) I think she was PO'd but she didn't specify so...

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I know many will skoff at me calling the 500 slow, but she's a big girl and coming from 9 second terminators and a 900rwhp turbo S281 it feels slow. It's relative, I used to think my stock 97 cobra was fast, now she's slow as a dog, but full of nostalgia.

Modifications for this car are extremely simple and 1000rwhp doesn't seem like any big deal. But what's the tipping point when you're worried about the car becoming a one trick pony. I don't want a full time drag car, been there… I don't want to worry about too much heat/IATs, then your upgrading cooling, then your redoing the trans, or the car is stepping out on you in a curve because it just has too much power, so big suspension mods or your searching for a E85 station that is true 85%, etc. At least we don't have to worry about our upgrading our brakes :)

I'm thinking somewhere around 8-900rwhp would be reasonable, of course a more powerful tune could be on tap.

Anyone, else left wanting more power? Anyone found their balance point?
Contact Ken@PBD have him fix you up with a pulley/tune package, take a little weight out of the car and you should be good.

My and 1320Junkies cars are full weight 1krwhp deep 9s 150+ mph. you wouldnt ever know it if you didnt punch it. Ken / PBD can give you tunes for whatever you want to do with the car. this isnt old school tech. tldr; PBD has not yet found the tipping point of streetcar vs race car trade-offs. Some others went full racecar for minimal gains
Sponsored