Sponsored

PMAS high inlet question

JBMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base. Auto. Magnetic.
I have been running the PMAS (tune required) system for about a week. One thing i noticed is the very high inlet temperatures. On the stock box, if it was 70 outside my inlet temp would be about 75-90. With the pmas however, my inlet runs 120-130. I have lund tune by the way. Is this normal for the pmas or should i have lund revision my tune??? The car runs fine, but seeing an inlet temp 50+ degrees higher than the outside temp worries me.
Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the maf sensor (which reads the intake temps.) sits inside an aluminum tube. Not exactly insulated from things that develop heat...LIKE THE ENGINE :doh:. Steeda intake suffers from this too.

OP
OP
JBMorgan

JBMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base. Auto. Magnetic.
Yeah, the maf sensor (which reads the intake temps.) sits inside an aluminum tube. Not exactly insulated from things that develop heat...LIKE THE ENGINE :doh:. Steeda intake suffers from this too.
Oh ok so do you think the issue is more so the location of the MAF sensor or the whole Intake itself?

ohmsmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor, 15 GT-PP, 16 RZR XPT
Its the intake, Your stock box you said you had 70* temps, now you have 120* because you took an enclosed filter and replace it with an open filter.

It wont hurt anything but its gonna pull some timing until you get cooler air (higher speed) That's why many of us keep the stock box, it flows fine.

Sponsored

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
That normal, like others have said, it's bc the open element filter is exposed to engine bay heat. While sitting still there is no moving air for it to draw from so it sucks in hot air from engine bay and that air way hotter than ambient. The temps will quickly drop once the car gets moving at a steady rate

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
Totally normal for an open element filter CAI...and I highly doubt that your Lund tune is pulling any timing because of it. I say just enjoy your car and dont worry about it!

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
This is what makes the stock air box so efficient. You don't get these high iat's. And yes your car is for certain pulling timing with those high temps.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Stock tune pulls timing with 120 degree iat. If lund is pushing this to 150, then you are safe. Otherwise bye bye 10 whp and 5 lbft according to my dynos!

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
First off, install the MAF pointing down inside of the box if you didn't already. The only time I see high temps is if it's a really hot day and I'm not traveling 60+mph and have been driving a long time. However, I have never felt that the heat actually affects the performance when needed. Once you are WOT, temps will drop very fast as you start pushing air through. Normal situations my temps are usually 9-11 degrees higher than ambient temps.

Pistons132

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red
Did anyone notice higher cylinder head temps? My damn intake temps are 120-130 when it idles now. Should I make the sensor point downwards?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I made a piece for the top of the intake tube to block off a great deal of the engine heat. It's a piece of lexan that is cut to fit the curve of the intake tube and seals to the hood with rubber. I also opened more holes in the grill near the intake, and opened up the box's inlet hole and overall my temps are way better. The piece I made is most of the improvement, honestly. My outside temp gage always reads higher than intake temp by about 5 deg (even immediately upon startup) On the highway now I might see 6-8 above ambient. At a light it creeps up the longer I sit but after I take off it goes back down. I drive in Texas too where it gets near 100 degrees outside.

Pistons132

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red
I made a piece for the top of the intake tube to block off a great deal of the engine heat. It's a piece of lexan that is cut to fit the curve of the intake tube and seals to the hood with rubber. I also opened more holes in the grill near the intake, and opened up the box's inlet hole and overall my temps are way better. The piece I made is most of the improvement, honestly. My outside temp gage always reads higher than intake temp by about 5 deg (even immediately upon startup) On the highway now I might see 6-8 above ambient. At a light it creeps up the longer I sit but after I take off it goes back down. I drive in Texas too where it gets near 100 degrees outside.
Got pics my man?

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Did anyone notice higher cylinder head temps? My damn intake temps are 120-130 when it idles now. Should I make the sensor point downwards?
Hotter intake temps = hotter cylinder temps.
Sponsored