FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed last night tornado the drain water was getting real high, I reached arm down in hole and there was gravel. A lot of it. I sucked it out and drain resumed working.

I realized there was a hole in side of drain pipe. ): it busted I don’t know how, I reached hand into the broke out hole andpulled out a chunk of the missing pipe, the other piece is stuck in there

I wanted to pull both out and jb weld the pipe back together or something

how does this happen? Cost estimate? Do it myself?

C82DD198-74D7-447B-AA26-E070375B1AB9.jpeg

F49B4FDA-E1B7-4B7E-B666-9A592E59CB84.jpeg

44D96401-131D-481C-8FBE-2EA51ECAE951.jpeg

95B48B53-EAF0-47AB-BEB6-3CA81BC50208.jpeg

77427BD4-9780-47A3-8FEB-7B72554151AB.jpeg

268A45B3-6B3C-49F5-B4F9-1102C48B00CF.jpeg

CDF1FB27-F116-4F76-A29A-57AF06B91FC0.jpeg
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'm thinking Bondo followed by roofing patch compound. It's just a floor drain.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed in photos, it looks like, from the broke out piece, there's a longer crack running. how does this happen? I mean my house is never freezing. I can dry up the entire pipe when it dries up a bit, should I toss some rocks back in that hole? like backfill?

will bondo/roofing patch compound work longterm? I really dont want to demo the floor. I would love to get that other piece out, but I cant get anything in there to grab onto it, and pull it out, use those for the helping patch

top of it running up and to right.
1624126779151.png

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Cast iron is brittle. We used to remove black pipe with a sledge hammer breaking them at the joins. Houses settle and the pipe don't give.

Tree roots can do that too.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Cast iron is brittle. We used to remove black pipe with a sledge hammer breaking them at the joins. Houses settle and the pipe don't give.

Tree roots can do that too.
you dont think me reaching in with my hand the couple times, like 3 times over 5 years would of busted that bad boy open? I doubt it. but it cut the fuck out of my hand when I didn't realize it was cracked pulling hand up.

so toss some gravel back into the hole, then shove bondo and roofing compound over it? slather is all over the pipe lol? and the crack ?

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
you dont think me reaching in with my hand the couple times, like 3 times over 5 years would of busted that bad boy open? I doubt it. but it cut the fuck out of my hand when I didn't realize it was cracked pulling hand up.

so toss some gravel back into the hole, then shove bondo and roofing compound over it? slather is all over the pipe lol? and the crack ?
That would be a temporary fix at best. Water is insipid. The pipe has failed and I would call one of those trenchless pipe liner companies for a quote. The pipe may also have failed below where you can see or reach.

Old lead pipes were way better in this regard.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Something caused that pipe to break and it is likely a lot more extensive than you think. It could affect your foundation.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Something caused that pipe to break and it is likely a lot more extensive than you think. It could affect your foundation.
I have full French drains around the house, sump pump, drain tiles, the whole works. man. I hope my house isn't about to bankrupt my ass. before I bought house, the garage was settling in a corner, they have those helical piers in the ground, 4 of them, it cost them 20k. then they had the drains, tiles, French drains, sump etc. all installed. but this just happened in last year, because last year it wasn't like that, sometimes in summer, I pour a little water in the drain when it is all dried up.

ive been here 5 years without any issues at all.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
edit. last winter, we had a hellacious 2 weeks. it literally STORMED for like week straight, and then went to -25* and froze everything, I had concrete lifted, etc, everyone had a big issue. I wonder if when that happened, everything flooded, and then froze, if it shifted the foundation a bit, and the flooding/freezing, caused that pipe to break.

that is actually my main assumption right now. it took weeks for my concrete /driveway garage etc, to finally settle back in place back to normal. it was like inches raised, wasn't just me, everyone had this issue.

that would explain how it got broken, and fell inward? and then that piece got stuck. it probably expanded/contracted/expanded, from that event and the piece got wedged in there.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Guys.

what if I drop a PVC pipe INTO it, as close size as I can but hair smaller to fit, and epoxy the space between cast iron, on the top, and bottom around the edges.

that will prevent any water going into the hole, and well, its epoxied in.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
You have not indicated if you have a basement. Houses without basements are a lot more likely to have problems related to freezing temperatures.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have 3 levels. Mid floor. Upper and lower finished basement.
The door behind the photo is a flight no exterior stairs that go to ro flat level ground. There’s also drain out there too

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
It looks this is a concrete floor. To do it properly bust floor up and replace. However I have seen on this old house where they put a liner is once in place filled it then drained what ever chemical was used. Liner once dry is new pipe.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered a little drain camera off Amazon, Itl be here this week It’s 16 feet long, should be good enough for me to browse around my immediate area and inspect what’s going on

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I have done some repair work on homes in the past and do most of the work around my house. I have not done the exact repair your problem needs. I have seen it done. Yes you can tie the plastic pipe to the cast iron.
The camera idea is a good one. The extent of the damage will give you the answer about how to go ahead. Lets hope 16 feet is enough.
Sponsored