Please help - car pulls right on acceleration and left at lift-off

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I don’t know. I would try different brand.

ask for a road force balance on your tires too. It is a better method and more accurate.
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
No expert here but from what I am reading I think the rear end twisting during acceleration and unloading back during lift I would be checking my rear passenger side bushings

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, MT-82, Ruby Red
Update - all 4 new tires on the stock wheels and the issue persists. I ordered new wheels and tires from AM and will try those. Otherwise the car is going back to Ford.

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
Wow. I hate to hear that. You’ve tried. Please let us know the outcome.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Well car will be going back to ford. No way tires and wheels can cause this. What wheels did you order? Maybe I can buy them off you

Sponsored

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Well car will be going back to ford. No way tires and wheels can cause this. What wheels did you order? Maybe I can buy them off you
Going back to Ford service haha - not getting rid of the car, I just got it!

Got these AMR wheels in Dark Stainless: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-amr-dark-stainless-wheel-19x85-102501g05.html

You guys can you confirm I'm not just being stupid? On flat road, I should be able to floor the car in any gear whenever I want and it should drive as straight as it does when just coasting, right?

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I'd want to get this car up on a lift for a couple of hours, pull on the wheels, try to manipulate the tow links and inspect the bushings, control arms, etc. to see if I could see what's going on before the car "goes back to ford".

And I do agree that wheels/tires don't generally cause this kind of thing unless you have a rim seriously damaged or something. I see cars force tires on bad alignment and tear them up. If you're not seeing excessive wear on whatever tire you have then it has to be something in the suspension's geometry.

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
I'd want to get this car up on a lift for a couple of hours, pull on the wheels, try to manipulate the tow links and inspect the bushings, control arms, etc. to see if I could see what's going on before the car "goes back to ford".

And I do agree that wheels/tires don't generally cause this kind of thing unless you have a rim seriously damaged or something. I see cars force tires on bad alignment and tear them up. If you're not seeing excessive wear on whatever tire you have then it has to be something in the suspension's geometry.
See my reply above - talking about the service center for warranty, not selling the car. It still has bumper to bumper warranty - I don't want to pay for labor hours at a shop, or parts, or new wheels or tires or anything anymore if its not the tires and its under warranty if that makes sense.

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
See my reply above - talking about the service center for warranty, not selling the car. It still has bumper to bumper warranty - I don't want to pay for labor hours at a shop, or parts, or new wheels or tires or anything anymore if its not the tires and its under warranty if that makes sense.
I did read it. I would include handing the car over to a ford service department as the same thing. I'm saying I would want to to spend time with the car to figure it out before getting the same flat answer from a service department that isn't really going to look at the car.

One thing you can do is find out what speed shop your local ford dealer sends their mustangs to then talk to them. There's always some ford dealership in the area that has more mustangs they sell than others, and they know who to send their cars to when someone decides they want some work done on their car. Bottom line is you need someone to look at the car that has a passion for this kind of thing if you don't feel like you can do that yourself.

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
I did read it. I would include handing the car over to a ford service department as the same thing. I'm saying I would want to to spend time with the car to figure it out before getting the same flat answer from a service department that isn't really going to look at the car.

One thing you can do is find out what speed shop your local ford dealer sends their mustangs to then talk to them. There's always some ford dealership in the area that has more mustangs they sell than others, and they know who to send their cars to when someone decides they want some work done on their car. Bottom line is you need someone to look at the car that has a passion for this kind of thing if you don't feel like you can do that yourself.
great points, I have a performance shop near me I’ve used prior - I’m just having a hard time mentally getting on board with spending more of my money on a problem that should be fixed by Ford

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I agree with those that say it's not being caused by wheels and/or tires. Sounds like some kind of suspension or steering rack problem to me.

z6cyl - maybe I missed it, but did the dealership test drive (or ride along with you) to verify that how it pulls left/right under the conditions you describe is something they also see and agree that something is wrong?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Going back to Ford service haha - not getting rid of the car, I just got it!

Got these AMR wheels in Dark Stainless: https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-amr-dark-stainless-wheel-19x85-102501g05.html

You guys can you confirm I'm not just being stupid? On flat road, I should be able to floor the car in any gear whenever I want and it should drive as straight as it does when just coasting, right?
Link goes to 10-14 model, do those wheels fit S550? I think it is more of the S197 offset that is off if put on a S550

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
Link goes to 10-14 model, do those wheels fit S550? I think it is more of the S197 offset that is off if put on a S550
Yes it's the same SKU for 1994-2020 all the same offset of 1.18 Inches, 30mm

OP
OP

z6cyl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
I agree with those that say it's not being caused by wheels and/or tires. Sounds like some kind of suspension or steering rack problem to me.

z6cyl - maybe I missed it, but did the dealership test drive (or ride along with you) to verify that how it pulls left/right under the conditions you describe is something they also see and agree that something is wrong?
Yes - the service writer and the tech both rode in the car and reproduced the issue.

They rotated the front tires to the back and the issue went away which was verified by me when I picked up the car. As such, we all thought it was tires.

Discount un-rotated the tires and we started replacing tires via Michelin warranty. Now all 4 tires have been replaced. The issue remains. I rotated the tires like the dealer did, and the issue remains.