Sponsored

Please educate me on a track helmet

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I searched this and there's not much on the topic.

I need a good, "bang for the buck", helmet to use for HPDE. I've had motorcycle helmets for years, but nothing for the car track. I'm very much a HPDE beginner.

Questions:

Who makes a good helmet for a decent price?
Helmets can be hot are some cooler?
Which are more comfortable?
Is open face ok?
ADDED: I wear glasses

What else do I need to know?

thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
check out Conquer helmets on amazon. lighter than motorcycle helmets, affordable, and carry the necessary snell certification.

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Everyone's head is different. Bell helmets usually fit me best. I usually go for comfort within my price range. Never buy a helmet you haven't tried on unless you already know how it's going to fit.

OP
OP

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I've had several Bell motorcycle helmets over the years and I know what size fits. Guess I should give Bell a try.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a big fan of my Pyrotect SA2015 open face. They have closed face versions too.

For any of this stuff, make sure you get a Snell A (SA) rated helmet so it doesn't preclude you from driving on track. Autocross is usually the only level that allows DOT motorcycle helmets, and some clubs still don't. SA2015 is the latest standard.

Sponsored

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I just bought the Conquer. Decent helmet. Tight fit. It is really big though. All my past motorcycle helmets seemed to be, not so bulbous. Overall, for the price, not a bad starter helmet. If you're going to need it long term, you might want to spend a little more. I wasn't sure if I was really going to be into the road course and autocross, so I didn't want to drop a lot of money on a helmet.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I'm a big fan of my Pyrotect SA2015 open face. They have closed face versions too.

For any of this stuff, make sure you get a Snell A (SA) rated helmet so it doesn't preclude you from driving on track. Autocross is usually the only level that allows DOT motorcycle helmets, and some clubs still don't. SA2015 is the latest standard.
do you happen to know if that rating works for drags too? been needing to get a helmet and summit has too many certifications to choose from i dont want to buy the wrong one

OP
OP

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
do you happen to know if that rating works for drags too? been needing to get a helmet and summit has too many certifications to choose from i dont want to buy the wrong one
Yes, it would be nice to have a helmet that "does all". What would this be? I bet an open face helmet doesn't "do all".

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it would be nice to have a helmet that "does all". What would this be? I bet an open face helmet doesn't "do all".
Yes, an SA2015 helmet would work for drag racing too. Drag usually only requires DOT.

I've been to racetracks, autocross and drag strips with that helmet and never a word after seeing the SA2015 sticker, but if you want to be 10000% sure, get a closed face with the same rating.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have tried both closed and open face helmets. Now I am using open face. I like it better for two reasons. 1) It is easier to slip the instructor's mic/earpiece inside, and 2) it is easier to talk/hear the instructor for when his mic/earpiece doesn't work well! Haha.

The short visor is ineffective however. A shield is not needed in a coupe car, except for the tinting for sunny days. I wear progressive prescription glasses, but they are not sunglasses. So I would like a tinted sheild. I called Racequip about this and the guy said he gets that request a lot, and they are working on a taller visor for next year. I may try to rig something up myself.

OP
OP

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I'll probably start with an open face helmet just for glasses and dealing with the heat, and for drinking. I have progressive sun glasses that I can use.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I searched this and there's not much on the topic.

I need a good, "bang for the buck", helmet to use for HPDE. I've had motorcycle helmets for years, but nothing for the car track. I'm very much a HPDE beginner.

Questions:

Who makes a good helmet for a decent price?
Helmets can be hot are some cooler?
Which are more comfortable?
Is open face ok?
ADDED: I wear glasses

What else do I need to know?

thanks!
I got an open face RaceQuip helmet, cheap and cheerful. Open face, Snell 2015 approved. Hard to beat the price. I wear glasses too, you might get interference on the ear pieces if they're fairly long, but that also happened with my Bell Mag4. Just shorten the frames a bit, problem solved.

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I like my HJC AR-10 III full face helmet. I wear sunglasses without issue.

Just throwing another option out, guys above have suggested good stuff as well.
Sponsored